Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting A RL550B Reconditioned / Updated

I have custody of a friend's RL550B, it works good, no issues I aware of. It has about 10,000 rounds loaded on it.I don't think anythings wrong.

John said he'd pay for shipping and whatever expense needed to get it reconditioned and updated.

It doesn't have the zerk fittings on the pivot points the new model has. I think I heard those mentioned somewhere

He thinks it was bought from Dillon around 1988 ish and sat in his living room for 10 years in the box.

I believe Dillon charged me $49 to refresh one of mine but that did not include the zerks. It's a nice option but not something I'd spend money on.

Why does it need a refresh after only 10k? The one I sent in was probably around 250k and had been neglected by the first owner. My other is almost there but still doesn't need a rebuild and I'm sure there are quiet a few over a million that haven't been rebuilt.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I have one about the same age and just a year or so ago replaced the lower end arms and pins (free of course, Dillon sent me the parts)...and that was after a lot more than 10k rounds were loaded on it.

If he wants to contribute money maybe get a new tumbler, or better yet...buy power and bullets! :cheers:

Edited by Bamboo

I have on original 550, no zerk's and no positive powder return. It has at least 200,000 on it. And still running. Just because a press sits around and gets dusty doesn't mean it needs anything. Blow it off and start cranking...

I sent my 550 off to Dillon last week. I don't have a clue as to how many round this machine has loaded since I got it in 1985 but its been a bunch.

I was quoted a price of $67.95 but I think that will go up once they look it over. Not sure what all needs to be done, but once its back, it will be good for another 30 years.

Bill

I sent my 550 off to Dillon last week. I don't have a clue as to how many round this machine has loaded since I got it in 1985 but its been a bunch.

I was quoted a price of $67.95 but I think that will go up once they look it over. Not sure what all needs to be done, but once its back, it will be good for another 30 years.

Bill

Does that include shipping? I was local so $49 was dropping it off and picking it up. It's only been 12-18 months since I had it done so curious if the price went up.

Bill

Does that include shipping? I was local so $49 was dropping it off and picking it up. It's only been 12-18 months since I had it done so curious if the price went up.

I paid just a few cents over $20 to send the press to Dillon so it sounds reasonable that picking it up at Dillon would reduce the cost by $20.

Last month I sent in my Square Deal to Dillon. The fee was $67 and that included shipping back to me.
Sent it on a Friday, had it back the following Friday.
I will tell you it came back BRAND NEW.
MANY parts were replaced, it came back setup ready to go with dies installed, literally took a little OAL adjustment

and I was ready to load.
STRONGLY recommend sending it in, you will not regret it.

BTW: I was so pleased, I went ahead and bought a 650 to go with my Square Deal......then another 650 for my Dad.
Love Dillon's product and customer service.

I also have an older machine, I've don the upgrades myself, because I could even drilled the lube hole in the upper pin arms. I wish I kept count on the number of rounds I loaded. She is still chugging away. I treat myself with a new add on now and again. The bullet tray and brass hopper I should have had a long time ago! Next is the trimmer....Christmas is coming....

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little update. Shipped my old 550 in to Dillon on November 11th. They received it Monday, November 16th.

Waiting for me last night when I got home was my reconditioned press. That means they had it in their shop for four days or less then shipped it back out. I was without my press for less than two weeks.

Opening the box I found a beautiful press. It looks like the only original part is the frame. It had been cleaned up (removed a little rust and a whole lot of built up grease) and all new parts installed.

Once again, Dillon treated me right. Say anything bad about "blue" around my house and them is taken as fighting words.

Thank you Dillon Precision.

Bill