Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production gun for Wife?

Fly

Maybe I am missing something, but I have never reached the mag release with my thumb on any pistol I have shot. (Big hands with short sausage fingers) I rotate the gun in the hand to hit the button while reaching for a mag with the weak hand. By the time I get the mag to the gun I have the gun rotated back into position in my strong hand.

As already mentioned:

1. Many shooters have to do some amount of gun rotation in the hand in order for strong side thumb to get to mag release.

2. I know more than one person who uses weak side thumb.

3. My wife has small hands (short thumbs?) and the PPQ M2 is about the only gun she has tried where she could reach the button without conscious rotation.

4. Having said that she is now shooting an M&P which has a mag release not quite as user friendly as the PPQ but she has adapted and has developed a very nice reload.

She has to rotate a bit but has got to the point where it is automatic.

I find the mag release of a CZ75 really easy to reach, and they shoot great too :) I believe in not having to change my grip for a mag change. It's hard for me to get there with my 1911 but I'm getting pretty close. With a CZ, it's right where it needs to be (for me).

Edited by StraightSh00ter

• 4 weeks later...

You might consider the SIG 320. It has a different frames, and the nice thing is the "gun" is the trigger group. It also has a good grip texture. It has a good balance to it. From what I am hearing, there is more competition parts coming out for it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd say try the PPQ.   Mag release is great for smaller hands.   Stock trigger is better than many of the custom options on other guns.  5" PPQ and install some Dawson Sights and you are good to go.   If she wants a really light trigger then there is a piano wire spring listed on the Walther Forums that drops stock trigger pull to about 3.25 lb.  Don't let the number fool you... the 3.25 trigger on my PPQ feels way lighter than a 2.5 lb trigger on my G34.  There is simply no creep when you hit the takeup wall.

• 1 year later...

My better half is doing her first USPSA shoot next weekend. She will be shooting either the STI DVC 3-Gun or the STI Limited. After shooting those, I can't get her to shoot anything else. It's gonna be so much fun to watch her.

Thanks for the video.  Interesting.  I never thought to use my week hand thumb/finger to hit the mag release when reloading.  I've always twisted the firearm to use my strong hand thumb while reaching for a new mag with my weak hand.  Just got used to doing it that way all these years.  I may actually have to try this to see if it is any faster for me or if there is an advantage to doing it.  :) 

BTW, I know you said your wife is already using the XDm, but my wife shoots the Walther PK380 (non competition) and does very well with it and she has very small hands/fingers.  Only problem she has is dropping the mag with the "paddle style" mag release on the Walther that is at the bottom of the trigger guard because of her nails.  I actually have a bit of a problem with it too and would have to train with it to become proficient at it.  It is a neat little gun and shoots very well and has a nice small grip to get your hand around, but it would take practice to get used to the paddle style mag release.  But it would probably be something she could get used to, but you couldn't use it in competition because it is only a .380 and you would have to go 9mm and up for competition. (at least USPSA)