Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First USPSA Match Yesterday

Wesquire

So even though I've been poking around the forums for a little while now, I've only yesterday had the chance to attend a USPSA match. I've been to about 4 IDPA matches, but that was over a year ago. I've been dry firing fairly frequently and I try to live fire now and then, but I've had some nerve damage to a finger that has kept me sidelined for a few months. Overall I'm happy with how the match went. The match and stages themselves were a blast. Matt Mink and the automatic accuracy team were there. 7 stages. I finished at 81% of the production winner's score. I am obviously not classified, but I scored higher than all but 2 B class shooters. The major thing I noticed was that I need to get faster. I only shot 1 less A than the production winner, but I was 23 seconds slower. Also, I'm not familiar with the scoring rules yet. I was not aware that a miss was -10 points. I thought it was just 0 points, so I never made up any shots. I guess I don't really have much of a point with this post, but I just had a blast and am looking forward to making this a regular thing. I was surprised by how close the average target was, I really need to kick my speed up a notch. One stage had three strings, el pres with no reload weak hand only at 10 yards, strong hand only at 15, and normal at 25 yards. Par time of 6 seconds, I did not see it, but apparently Mink got all A's from 25 yards in under the 6 seconds. Pretty good stuff.

Welcome aboard the USPSA train. :cheers:

Wow!! 81% your first time out - fantastic.

What gun are you using? Do your reload, yet?

Well, 81% of the production winner. I was only like 60% of Mink's score, but he was also shooting Limited. I have a stock 3. Been reloading for about 2 years now, mostly rifle. It was a bigger annual event the range puts on, about 60 shooters total. Really fun stuff. I noticed I did much better on the fast longer stages than the more technical ones with swingers and activations. I beat the production winner on at least one of those stages, but the technical stuff really messed with me.

Edited by Wesquire

Hillbilly Classic? Welcome to uspsa. And yep, once you get the math figured out on scoring the whole speed/accuracy thing just goes through your mind even more.

You talk about being 21 seconds slower compared to the Prod winner. You could shoot the exact same shot splits but if you got into and out of each shooting position just 1 second faster you'd make that time up completely.

Hillbilly Classic? Welcome to uspsa. And yep, once you get the math figured out on scoring the whole speed/accuracy thing just goes through your mind even more.

You talk about being 21 seconds slower compared to the Prod winner. You could shoot the exact same shot splits but if you got into and out of each shooting position just 1 second faster you'd make that time up completely.

Yeah, I think most of the time could be made up from just moving with more of a purpose. I was a little hesitant and cautious due to it all being new for me. I also didn't know you can run outside the fault lines as long as you don't shoot from outside. Yes, it was the hillbilly classic. Great match. I don't have video of myself, but I'd imagine my splits were just as fast as the winner for the most part... I missed some on steel so that slowed me down too though. I also had 9 NPMs, the El pres stage killed me Edited by Wesquire

Yes, Grass Hopper, you are chasing the elusive mixture of speed and accuracy in USPSA, it is a long and hard path. It is paved with pain and disappointment. But don't give up! Eventually it will be time for you to leave the Temple, and ascend to Grand Master... But keep in mind there are many Grand Masters! It is a lifelong passion. There can be only one.

20667835.jpg

I think next match I'm going to really emphasize speed. Almost all the training I've done has been from past 7 yards, the close stuff is a real change of pace for me. I do think my splits were still fairly good, but I'm going to try and get video of myself and see if I can identify my time sinks.

I shot my first ever USPSA match yesterday. Sight picture inpatience caused 1 hit on a noshoot at a fast entry position. Obviously in USPSA there is no shoot-through so the target behind the no-shoot got a mike on it... huge penalty and great lesson to learn. That single mistake caused me the match win in production division. Only 2 match points from the #1. Good news is on the classifier stage I got a 14 hit factor probably M/GM percentage :)

Very first match and you almost won and shot a 14 HF on a classifier? So you have just been practicing and dry firing for 5 years or so?

Got any video? That would be a kick ass first match to see!

Very first match and you almost won and shot a 14 HF on a classifier? So you have just been practicing and dry firing for 5 years or so?

Got any video? That would be a kick ass first match to see!

Not 5 years, more like 10 months I think. Started with IDPA last Summer after I bought my first competition handgun, an MP9 Pro. Have always wanted to try USPSA and finally got a taste. I think I just got lucky on the classifier stage. "Can you count" itself has a very high HF, and my draw/reload went almost as smooth as my practice times :) All in all I feel IDPA and USPSA both require you get the hits (with some patience) and be fast in the non-shooting stuff.

14hf would be an A class %. That's what I average on most classifiers like can you count and El presidente. I've done a 96% El presidente before when my draw, reload, and shots all came together smooth...but I don't average anywhere near that. My reloads are not great at this point. The funny thing about bill drill and can you count type stuff is I'm faster in live fire than dry fire. The double action only in dry fire really slows me down after 4 or 5 shots.

Edited by Wesquire