Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbie question about calibers

Springer

Sorry for all the recent post but I just got into shooting the revolver in USPSA and I am more excited then I ever was in Limited. I just ordered a 627 pc and I have read on here that you can also shoot 38 short colt. My question is why would someone do this, I really don't understand the difference and I am interested in the advantages. If it is an advantage I am going to order some 38sc brass and use it. Please someone explain this.

The 8 shot 38s do reload easier with the short brass. My 627 keyholes with short brass but most folks here claim good results.

If I haven't been spending too much time with the bottom feeders, I can reload in just under 2 seconds with full length 38 special. For me and my revolver, the short brass isn't worth the accuracy tradeoff.

1) Takes less powder to make PF=less recoil

2) Case capacity in larger cases at minor PF don't take up much room in the case, 38 Short Colts make more efficient use of case volume

3) Shorter Brass will always clear a cylinder quicker with less chance of hangups

4) With Premium Moon Clips, like Hearthco's, and the proper brand brass, Starline, there is less chance of a reload hanging up

5) Since you get your brass back, it lasts forever

6) 90% of top competitors who have a choice shoot a short round, 38 Short Colt, 38 Super or 9mm

7) Over the years I've been guilty of trying to re-invent the wheel, age has led me to understand when the trend is for something in USPSA, there's a reason for it.

Welcome and good luck!

The bad:

1) minor power is still over max pressure for the case.

2) The short case results in more pressure applied along the surface of the case and the cylinder increasing the chances of sticky extraction.

3) Inspect the palm of anyone shooting Short Colts for any length of time. You will see the scars and in some cases the days stuck case injury.

4) Short colt cases result in more Michael Jackson gloves being worn on the range than any other case used.

That said, I would have no problem using short colts in any .38 revolver using moon clips. Understand the limitations and you will get along fine with them.

Now real fun is taking that wheel gun and shooting it in Production or Linited 10......I'm not brave enough to sign up for Single stack!! They might hurt me.

Did that until they allowed me to shoot the 8-shot in Revolver division.

The bad:

1) minor power is still over max pressure for the case.

2) The short case results in more pressure applied along the surface of the case and the cylinder increasing the chances of sticky extraction.

3) Inspect the palm of anyone shooting Short Colts for any length of time. You will see the scars and in some cases the days stuck case injury.

4) Short colt cases result in more Michael Jackson gloves being worn on the range than any other case used.

That said, I would have no problem using short colts in any .38 revolver using moon clips. Understand the limitations and you will get along fine with them.

I have shot Short Colt for years and I only use my thumb for extracting. The palm plant is used by many when not even needed in fact I saw it used on 625's.

As for sticky extractions a quick ream of the cylinder or polish will fix that. You will have less of a chance with a straight walled case than a tapered one such as the 9mm.

As far as over the max pressure for the case yes you probably are according to loads found in loading manuals. I don't believe the loads used to make minor are even close to max pressure. Sure with the wrong powder and short oal you can raise the pressure to unacceptable pressures. If I remember right there is someone in Europe that is shooting major in USPSA. Not that I would try that.

Just remember big bullets = slow powders and small bullets = fast powders. Lots of information on 38 short colt and loads here on BE.

Edited by revoman

Have had no issues myself with short colts, only 1 load had sticky extraction and I KNEW I had loaded it too hot. The cases have over 20 loadings and I've lost maybe 30 cases out of 2000 to split case mouths. About the same as the 45 gap cases I used in my 625.

The case at the web expands no more, and it seems to me less, than the 38 special cases I used at first also at minor.

As I am about to purchase a 929 or a 627 I could use some sound advice. Is the 627 competitive using full length 38 special brass? Is the 929 the way to go if you were choosing between full length 38 special or 9 mm? I have a adequate brass for both on hand.

Any of the 38 special Revos will require matching headstamps on the brass, and moon clips to match your choice of brass.

Full length brass loads as fast as the short stuff on the perfect reload, but the disaster factor is higher. I use full length brass and practice my reloads.

I don't know how tolerant the 9s are of mixed headstamps. There does seem to be a bit of reloading drama for some folks here with the 929. Just remember you'll likely be using federal primers in your revolver so you can tune the trigger, you may need to segregate your 929 loads from what you shoot thru your other pistols.

As I am about to purchase a 929 or a 627 I could use some sound advice. Is the 627 competitive using full length 38 special brass? Is the 929 the way to go if you were choosing between full length 38 special or 9 mm? I have a adequate brass for both on hand.

I just posted a thread on that myself. In the end you will need to do some tuning one way or another and make your life easy by using Federal primers and one head stamp for brass when you get started.