Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need advice on holster for USPSA

Springer

I have been shooting USPSA Limited for a few years and last year I started using the DAA Racer holster. Now, I have decided to start shooting Revolver and need a holster. I am looking at the DAA Race master with muzzle extension and the CR Speed WSM II.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

I did the same thing, switched from limited to revo. Started with the DAA race master and love the holster, just makes me nervous not being used to that type. I also bought the BladeTech Pro Series Speed Rig. Still working with both to figure out which one I will stick with.

Best of luck to you!

Unless you're running a barrel longer than 5", just go with a kydex holster like the Blade-Tech. Just as fast, and far more secure.

Mr. Carmoney, I wish I had received your post earlier as I already dropped the money on the DAA. By the way the 625 I just purchased from the classifieds was worked on by you and I want to let you know that it has the best trigger pull I have ever seen. My gunsmith, worked on many a USBP ppc revolver commented on how he was impressed with your work.

The DAA is just as secure or more due to the lock. You will not be disappointed with the holster. As for the Blade-Tech it is a fine holster and does work well it just doesn't have the locking mechanism. As for Mike's work cherish it as it is some of the best action work that is out there and being that Mike no longer takes work the 625 alone with his action work is something that makes the revolver special.

Actually the only time I've dropped my revolver during a COF I was running the clock and literally running behind the competitor when my 627 hopped right out of my Bladetech kydex holster. Yeah, it could have used a little tightening of the tension screw but it wasn't some cut down gamey holster either.

Unless you're running a barrel longer than 5", just go with a kydex holster like the Blade-Tech. Just as fast, and far more secure.

Mr. Carmoney, I wish I had received your post earlier as I already dropped the money on the DAA. By the way the 625 I just purchased from the classifieds was worked on by you and I want to let you know that it has the best trigger pull I have ever seen. My gunsmith, worked on many a USBP ppc revolver commented on how he was impressed with your work.

Thanks! That is great to hear.

I currently have a CR Speed and am looking pretty hard at replacing it with a DAA racemaster. The lock on my CR Speed does not hold has well as I had hoped and it took a dive off my rig last match (unloaded, moving between bays, range bag bumped it). A couple of my buddies have the DAA and when the lock is set, it doesn't seem that gun can come out at all.

I've been using a DAA racemaster for the past few years, I think it's a fantastic holster ( especially since they went to the magnetic insert ) Adjustment in every direction , excellent retention.

The only " problem " with the holster only comes up on those rare occasions where you need to shoot prone / laying on your holster side. With a holster like a kydex blade tech there is no need to think twice about laying on it, where as the DAA Racemaster you need to put some thought in how to approach it.

Edited by alecmc

Does anybody truly believe a "race holster" is significantly faster than a plain kydex belt pouch?

(And if you do, are you interested in making a wager?) ;)

What is your definition of significant?

.25? .10 ? .05 ?

USPSA , kydex or race barely makes a difference.

Steel challenge ? Sure - I'd rather use my race holster.

Even if it's 0.10 faster, after 8 stages of steel challenge that's upwards of 3 seconds.

Nobody said faster just locks in better when not in use. The draw is in the hands of the beholder, whether it be a race holster or a kydex. Look at the draws from Bob Munden and that was from leather. Granted he had his hand on the revolver but I still don't think there is anyone who could beat him even if they had their hand on the revolver. Maybe not even holding it in their hand, :devil:

I have a Blade-Tech for my 625 and a Racemaster for my 327 and STI. The 327 is kind of a pain in the butt for holsters. I even molded my own and found that the shape of the gun itself can cause problems. It's only when you cut it down below the forcing cone that the draw cleans up appreciably.

I dig Kydex because with a proper straight drop, for various USPSA starts, it's very adaptable. It doesn't bind up when torqued like the Racemaster (though I freely admit I hate cleaning the Racemaster).

I dig the Racemaster because it is way more adjustable. I can position it however I want with a few set screws, which makes it ideal for Steel Challenge, which rewards draw speed massively and has the exact same surrender draw every single stage. Further, if I want to shoot a classifier with my 625 I just have to grab the gun and go. No changes to my belt.

I dig Kydex because it's cheap.

I dig the Racemaster because it's hot purple and makes me look like a baller.

The speed aspect is really tiny and generally going to come in a distant third to how much money you've got and what guns you already have.

I did some pretty extensive testing with a CR Speed and Blade Tech DOH w/out the DOH but canted forward just about right with an adapter and cut the front down about halfway.

I came up with at pure speed I had about .02 faster with the CR, the average came down to a bit more because I had more draws in the sub 1 second range with the CR. Think the average difference between the two was .05.

But the Blade Tech was always there where I needed it, the CR felt like it was hanging out there.

In USPSA just don't know that it's worth it. And I like the fact my single rig can handle my 4" M29 (Major backup), 5 1/4" 625 and the 5" 627 without changing anything. And all work perfect and are held secure. Especially when I have to run 3/4+ of a squad through a COF.

Anybody have any experience with the BladeTech Pro Series Speed holster?

Looking at pictures from the Rev Nationals (last years?) it looks like at least a couple top folks are using that holster and a Safariland USPSA hanger kit to attach it to the belt. If it wasn't a Bladetech Pro Series holster it was one that was cut down and looked a lot like it.

Anybody have any experience with the BladeTech Pro Series Speed holster?

Looking at pictures from the Rev Nationals (last years?) it looks like at least a couple top folks are using that holster and a Safariland USPSA hanger kit to attach it to the belt. If it wasn't a Bladetech Pro Series holster it was one that was cut down and looked a lot like it.

The speed holster is just cut down to expose far more of the top of the gun to get out quicker. When I built my own Kydex holster, I cut it down about 2.5 inches from the forcing cone. It helps a bit, feels more pleasant, that kind of thing. If you dig a normal Blade-Tech you'll also dig the speed version. Just don't try to use it in Production :D

If you lock it, the Racemaster is more secure than a kydex rig with the front cut out. If you forget to lock it, anything that lifts your revolver up about 1/2 inch will cause it to fall out.

The Racemaster is nice because it doesn't need a muzzle rest so it accommodates barrels of varying length.

I believe the biggest benefit to the race holsters is their adjustablity. I have a BOSS hanger on my single stack rig, and it is almost as adjustable as my racemaster.

For me the race master wasn't purely about being faster than kydex or not. The idea of being modular was far more attractive.

So for the belt rig I can keep the same holster for at least 5 guns. The moon clip racks have tech locks for easy swap. And the mag pouches I use for limited class, ss, club matches gssf, etc.

This way I have one belt with modular nodules. The bonus was the race master's security and quickness.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Edited by woodrow

Does anybody truly believe a "race holster" is significantly faster than a plain kydex belt pouch?

(And if you do, are you interested in making a wager?) ;)

What is your definition of significant?

.25? .10 ? .05 ?

USPSA , kydex or race barely makes a difference.

Steel challenge ? Sure - I'd rather use my race holster.

Even if it's 0.10 faster, after 8 stages of steel challenge that's upwards of 3 seconds.

Alec, have you ever actually timed the difference?