Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who makes a Chrono that works indoors?

Just came back from the range,
I asked them if it was OK for me to bring in a Chrono (which I have not bought yet)
They said sure, but several people have tried and none of them worked indoors.
So I have a couple questions:

1. Which ones work indoors? (make and model)
2. What features should I look for? (developing loads for USPSA & IDPA)

Thanks!

So I can get the Caldwell (with light kit and cheap tripod and case) on sale at Cableas for $129 (pickup a box of bullets then I can use my $20 off for a $150 purchase) The Caldwell uses a battery pack for the light kit, and a cable to plug into my iPhone. Net price $109

OR

The model from Competition Electronics, 89 for Chrono, 69 for Blue tooth, 65 for Light kit (Total $225) Bluetooth would be nice, but they use a wall wart for the power to the light kit.

Knowing that I will be using it to work up loads for 3 different guns, after I have what I want....probably sit in the closet or just loan out to friends....
BUT ....I am kinda a quality nut so I don't mind paying more for quality......AND....in doing research..LOTS of reports of people accidently shooting it......SOOOOO......buy which one?

The model from Competition Electronics, 89 for Chrono, 69 for Blue tooth, 65 for Light kit (Total $225) Bluetooth would be nice, but they use a wall wart for the power to the light kit.

You can make a 24V battery pack (two twelve volt batteries in series) to power the CE light kit

"Knowing that I will be using it to work up loads for 3 different guns, after I have what I want....probably sit in the closet or just loan out to friends...."

NOT a good idea! You've already acknowledged that they get shot, and it always seems to be when you loan one to a friend! As for sitting in the closet, your curiosity will get involved and you'll use it more than you think, especially when the next powder shortage happens and you have to work up new loads with a new powder.

• 4 months later...

For the record, I have the indoor light kit for the ProChrono, which requires a wall outlet as it uses a long 110v aquarium bulb. It works perfectly - I've found this to be the most dependable chrono I've ever been around, whether I'm using it indoors or out.

Oh, and we were consistently able to clock a compound bow indoors with it, in addition to handguns.

I've been researching brands and models for the same reason. I can't remember what brand the reviewer had, but he solved the light problem by putting battery-powered lights under the sky-screens and anchoring them there from the other side with a handful of those niobium "supermagnets". He reported that it worked well from there.