Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3-Gun Nation Nationals Oct. 9-10

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome match with some monster stages, awesome venue and great shooting sports expo. Saw tons of people going through the events/side stages and demos all day Saturday and the TV and radio coverage was excellent to boot.

Edited by cold

Maybe there are more lessons than that. Maybe if you are interrupted do a quick press check before "dry firing" a "sight picture".

Maybe get out of the habit of dry firing a sight picture at the load and make ready.

Maybe re unload and show clear to your self if you must dry fire your pistol before the load and make ready.

John was as safe as can be, and still a round got in there. The hit on the plate was dead center, so we all know it was a good press. This is why rule number one is so important, and why all the steps we go through to lamar and ulasc are so important, but even then you still have to follow the other 3 rules and for that I commend John. He was never unsafe!

Separate matches held concurrently. Pro Series Shootoffs previously determined.

So, which match determined the shoot off participants? Did Lena automatically get into the shoot off by being the defending Lady?

Tv pro series did. Top two from each heat advanced. 4 woman and 16 men.

22 DQ's in the main match. How does that happen? Some really good, experienced shooters on the list too.

The stages are speedy. So Lots of folks going way too fast missing dump barrels, cough Lena.

There was a stage or two with those "don't shoot targets A&B past this fault line at 160-180 degrees. Several shooters broke a shot over the lines almost breaking the 180.

Good thing about the fault lines is there is a discernible line telling you not to shoot past them. You just gotta listen to the stage brief and keep a good awareness of yourself in space. Those complex and speedy bay stages can get you twisted up and backwards in a step or two.

I had the live stream paused from yesterday and just went back to watch it. What happened with John Mcclain on the second bout with Daniel Horner? Looks like he DQ'd while checking sight picture on the pistol.

Edit: NM. He just explained it.

Yeah bad deal. Could have been a $45,000 mistake.

Lesson learned:

Never let anyone interfere with your make ready or unload show clear process.

Was that a DQ during the shootoff? Or during the 3GN National Match? Never seen them do a shoot off bout DQ but let the person continue in the shootoff. And they've had DQ's during the shoot offs before.

22 DQ's in the main match. How does that happen? Some really good, experienced shooters on the list too.

The stages are speedy. So Lots of folks going way too fast missing dump barrels, cough Lena.

There was a stage or two with those "don't shoot targets A&B past this fault line at 160-180 degrees. Several shooters broke a shot over the lines almost breaking the 180.

Good thing about the fault lines is there is a discernible line telling you not to shoot past them. You just gotta listen to the stage brief and keep a good awareness of yourself in space. Those complex and speedy bay stages can get you twisted up and backwards in a step or two.

I had the live stream paused from yesterday and just went back to watch it. What happened with John Mcclain on the second bout with Daniel Horner? Looks like he DQ'd while checking sight picture on the pistol.

Edit: NM. He just explained it.

Yeah bad deal. Could have been a $45,000 mistake.

Lesson learned:

Never let anyone interfere with your make ready or unload show clear process.

Was that a DQ during the shootoff? Or during the 3GN National Match? Never seen them do a shoot off bout DQ but let the person continue in the shootoff. And they've had DQ's during the shoot offs before.

It was during the shoot off. He lost that round then was allowed to shoot again in the 3rd/4th place run against Nick Atkinson which John won taking the $5,000 for 3rd.

From John's comments after his final run, shooting again after his DQ came as a surprise. He said something like he was just starting to relax when they advised he was still in the competition.

Is this a new rule for the Pros?

There is no rule set specifically for the shoot offs. I'm sure they decided on the spot that it was ok for him to continue on.

My favorite part of the whole thing was the face that Daniel made when it happened. He looked at the camera out of the corner of his eye and game this "Oh Sh*t" look.

Other options in this situation were problematic as well....

Do you Just give 3rd place to Atkinson unchallenged?, do you bring up Nelson, who lost to Mclain? or Hanish, because he lost to Atkinson? have another match-up between those two?

I am sure this will be a point of discussion for next season.

The Pro Series indicates its rules are based on the rules of the Regional Series.

The first line of the Regional Series reads: "3GN reserves the right to change or modify rules as necessary."

An executive decision was made, like it or not.

Perhaps someone in the know can shed some light on the reasons for their decision. Of course we cannot demand an answer, but it would be nice.

My favorite part of the whole thing was the face that Daniel made when it happened. He looked at the camera out of the corner of his eye and game this "Oh Sh*t" look.

I saw that also and the look on his face when they said he was advancing made me think Daniel would have rather beat John outright than advance on John's DQ.