Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

movement training

Sac Law Man

Do any of you guys pratice moving by itself, such as throughout a stage, but not fire any shots? Are there drills you use to become more efficient.. What can I practice.. I am told I leave a lot on the table while shooting a COF.. this has always been my nemesis. Thanks in advance

Moving in and of itself isn't really the point.

Leaving at the earliest opportunity and shooting at the earliest opportunity are the points. Kinda hard to learn that without a gun in your hand.

When the sight lifts on the last shot in the position are you leaving? I do mean THE MOMENT IT LIFTS.....INSTANTLY.

Are you hauling ass as fast as possible then arriving at the next position in such a way that you are INSTANTLY SHOOTING?

Lots of shooters waste an inordinate amount of time after the last shot at a position and while setting up at the next position.

As an example, they are HAULING ASS so fast that they Get to a position soooo HOT it takes seconds before their gun stops wobbling enough to shoot the first target.

So, IMHO, working on movement without some type of indicator "like a gun sight" to key off of, is not going to be as effective for you.

Edited by Chris iliff

As an example, they are HAULING ASS so fast that they Get to a position soooo HOT it takes seconds before their gun stops wobbling enough to shoot the first target.

I agree with everything you wrote. However, wouldn't you agree that the above is something that can be practiced without a gun? Moving and getting set up into position.. I ask this because 1, apparently I don't haul ass, and 2, I heard of a well known shooter who practices movement for about an hour each practice session without a gun in his holster..

I agree with everything you wrote. However, wouldn't you agree that the above is something that can be practiced without a gun? Moving and getting set up into position.. I ask this because 1, apparently I don't haul ass, and 2, I heard of a well known shooter who practices movement for about an hour each practice session without a gun in his holster..

Yes, one can do that and it makes a difference. In summer I did a lot of such trainings in my garden, no gun used till some point. For example, leaving a position left/right, forward and backward with inititating a reload is something very important. Also getting into a off-balance (barricade...) or knee-down position is something easiyl trained without gun. Believe me, there is a lot of time to gain....

Do any of you guys pratice moving by itself, such as throughout a stage, but not fire any shots? Are there drills you use to become more efficient.. What can I practice.. I am told I leave a lot on the table while shooting a COF.. this has always been my nemesis. Thanks in advance

Have you taken some one on one training from a local resources to work on this? If not that would be my first suggestion.

My point is...... How can we "know" how to leave a position or to set up in a position, if we don't have the reference of the gun and its sights leaving the target or settling on the target. You simply can't "know" exactly how this should feel or look until you have done it over and over with a gun.

IMHO

Can some people do this and get something out of it? Yes, those that have developed the correct habits and techniques probably can. They can groove in movement without a gun because they have grooved in movement with a gun.

You can do it without a gun, but I'm not sure I see the point in doing it without *some* kind of aiming device or gun simulator.

OTOH, perhaps less athletic people (and I have no idea if you are athletic or not, I think I shot a idaho state idpa match once that you were at and you seemed reasonably fit), might benefit from simple training to get started and push off more explosively. I played volleyball and soccer for years so I've always done the movement part well, and mostly needed to work on integrating it into shooting (i.e. leaving earlier and shooting sooner).

I personally tried training movement without a gun but with a full mag in my shooting hand. What impressed me most was how my focus shifted to my feet and body weight momentum and so learning was easier, faster and much more on how to exit or enter a position effeciently. The drills were 1-2 positions only, not a COF.

Edited by BoyGlock

Try this.

In addition to your pistol, belt and magazines you will need a camera, a timer and pen and paper or exercise book to record your results. Range gear required is single target on a frame and preferably 2 start boxes or something similar to mark a start and shoot position. A partner to critique your performance would also assist for optimal results but is not necessary to still get great results.

Don't skip ahead and follow steps in the order outlined. Do not combine multiple steps together. We are breaking down a process to its components, improving them and reassembling them for an overall improved process.

Setup 2 boxes one in front of the other, 4 or 5 yards apart, with a single target say 5 yards from the second box. What ever the distances are record them so you can repeat it in the future for comparison purposes.

The first step is critical to get a base line and for comparison. When recording this try to get your feet and arms in the shot.

On the buzzer draw and move from the start box to shooting box and fire 1 shot into the A of the target as you normally would. Record the time and score. Repeat at least 3 - 5 times to get your average. Discard any abnormal results.

Review your video. Are you moving as quickly as you can between the boxes or are you out for a Sunday stroll?

Take your pistol off and your belt and mags, your not going to need them for a while.

From the normal ready position, on the buzzer move from the start box to the shooting box as quickly as you can. I mean run, sprint, bolt. You don't have a pistol for this step and no need to worry about draw or sight picture etc.

Review video, make sure going as fast as you can, repeat. Your learning what it feels like to move as quickly as you can.

Time to focus on getting out of the start position as quickly as you can. How are you accelerating out from the ready position? What is your stance and balance like? Do they support aggressive movement? On the buzzer are you hesitating, taking little steps, getting your feet crossed up? Look in the direction you are moving, step aggressively in the direction you are moving. YouTube can be your friend here.

From the normal ready position, on the buzzer move from the start box to the shooting box as quickly as you can with your revised stance and accelerating aggressively.

Continue to review and repeat this and the following steps.

Now we need to focus on your entry into the shooting box. This where it gets harder. Focus on your feet work as you approach the box so that your not taking unnecessary or little steps to get in position. De-accelerate as you approach the box and get into your shooting position smoothly rather than stopping suddenly.

You want to be able to shoot as soon as you can as you get into position. As you are refining this you will want to starting air gunning but don't loose the focus on getting your footwork right first.

This time when the buzzer starts move your hand to where your pistol would normally be as you make you initial move out of the start position and simulate the draw. As you move to shoot box work out when you need to bring the gun up, acquire your grip, extend your arms and acquire a sight picture as soon as you can efficiently and effectively.

When you are ready put your gear on and use your pistol in the drill but initially only for dry fire before moving moving onto live fire.

When you have practised the drill in live fire sufficiently record the time and compare to your original.

You can adapt this process to any number of skills or drills but try to limit how much you are trying to learn at one time so you can focus.

Have you taken some one on one training from a local resources to work on this? If not that would be my first suggestion.

a couple of hrs with a top practical shooting instructor (or any competent M class or above shooter) and you'll have enough stuff to work on in training related to movement for the next 6 months ... ask me how I know ....

Or you can continue to be frustrated trying to figure out this stuff on your own ...

Edited by Nimitz

I shoot a lot of competition matches so most of my range practice is with guns that I shoot in competition. At least once a month I go to the range and only take my carry pistols and practice self defense skills. I try to setup as many different scenarios as I can to practice. Almost all of my scenarios will have multiple targets and a lot of movement while shooting. Also when practicing with my carry guns I always wear clothing that I normally would wear out in public. One more thing I do is time each scenario that I shoot. This will give me an idea what clothing works best in high stress situations and what areas I need to work on to build speed. Good luck with your training.

• 2 weeks later...