Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brand New STI Trojan blemish

Peplow530

Well they got back to me, after talking with warranty and quality control they decided it would be best to replace the frame.

But earlier today I realized that I am in CA, in order to get this gun I had to private party transfer it since it is not on our ridiculous drop list. I will not be able to DROS a new serial number.

So I guess I'm just shooting this one until I can't anymore. Either I grow too old and my hands and sight stop working, or the gun fails. I guess I'll just have to wait and see which comes first, hahaha.

Did you ask them if they could make a replacement frame with the same serial #? Some manufacturers will do that, not sure about STI.

I did reply with that as a solution, just waiting to hear back.

Well they got back to me, after talking with warranty and quality control they decided it would be best to replace the frame.

But earlier today I realized that I am in CA, in order to get this gun I had to private party transfer it since it is not on our ridiculous drop list. I will not be able to DROS a new serial number.

So I guess I'm just shooting this one until I can't anymore. Either I grow too old and my hands and sight stop working, or the gun fails. I guess I'll just have to wait and see which comes first, hahaha.

Ideally they'd send you back new frame, same number. But if they can't/won't, appears there is another way to get it done, sounds like you need to work with an FFL that can do this: http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=14757991&postcount=51

Had an FFL call the DOJ about this and they said no. Then tried calling myself and they had the same answer for me.

No, it's not a bearing surface or high stress area. No, it won't affect any part of the guns function. It's not even in a visible location when the gun is assembled. But if there's a bad spot, it may go deeper than you can see. I'd get it replaced. Better safe than sorry.

Edited by Absocold

Can you ship it to them and pick it up in Texas at their factory or at Another close FFL like Dawson Precision?

Gotta get a new frame as that defect is not acceptable. Surely you're not the only person in CA that has this problem, ask for a manager to sort this out.

Edited by wmetzler01

Living in California, this is my biggest concern when buying off-roster guns; what do you do if your frame/receiver breaks/wears out/has a defect?

And it 's not an unintended consequence of the stupid laws enacted by the imbeciles running this state (into the ground). It is exactly what they want to happen.

And as long as they keep getting voted in by people who think there are "bigger issues than guns (personal freedom!!)", it ain't getting any better.

That's cute, you guys think the state of CA has any interest in solving this problem, when their intent is actually the exact opposite. As far as they are concerned the law is working as intended.

That's cute, you guys think the state of CA has any interest in solving this problem, when their intent is actually the exact opposite. As far as they are concerned the law is working as intended.

You say that as if NJ is any better.

Fill disclosure; I lived in NJ for 17 years.

Let me start by saying that I am in no way defending California, its politicians or the idiots who consistently vote them into office.

But as bad as California is, as long as a gun is on the stupid roster, I can go buy it without first obtaining permission from my insect overlords. Yes, I must wait 10 days to "cool off", and I am limited to 10 round magazines (in the interest of schoolyard safety I'm assuming), and I have idiotic restrictions on what features the long guns I buy can have, but unlike New Jersey, I can make an impulse buy of a gun in California. Go in Gun Shop, see gun I like, purchase gun, wait 10 days, pick up gun, go to range and shoot gun.

In NJ, this is not so. You must first get permission to own a gun, then get permission to buy each one. I know people who still live there, they say it typically takes about four months for the "authorities" to grant this permission.

11 days from buy to shoot in California. Try that in New Jersey.

Yeah, you have a 15 round mag limit vs. California's 10 round limit, but it's still a government imposed limit on your rights.

Given that neither California or New Jersey is a gun owner's Utopia, and both have ridiculous taxes, I'll take California with its climate and geography over NJ with, well there simply is no redeeming value to New Jersey.

Edited by robertg5322

Let me start by saying that I am in no way defending California, its politicians or the idiots who consistently vote them into office.

But as bad as California is, as long as a gun is on the stupid roster, I can go buy it without first obtaining permission from my insect overlords. Yes, I must wait 10 days to "cool off", and I am limited to 10 round magazines (in the interest of schoolyard safety I'm assuming), and I have idiotic restrictions on what features the long guns I buy can have, but unlike New Jersey, I can make an impulse buy of a gun in California. Go in Gun Shop, see gun I like, purchase gun, wait 10 days, pick up gun, go to range and shoot gun.

In NJ, this is not so. You must first get permission to own a gun, then get permission to buy each one. I know people who still live there, they say it typically takes about four months for the "authorities" to grant this permission.

Yeah, you have a 15 round mag limit vs. California's 10 round limit, but it's still a government imposed limit on your rights.

Given that neither California or New Jersey is a gun owner's Utopia, and both have ridiculous taxes, I'll take California with its climate and geography over NJ with, well there simply is no redeeming value to New Jersey.

Preach Brother !

Preach Brother !

Oh the irony of defending California's ridiculous gun laws.

What's worse is that you know that frame passed through more than a few hands at the factory(s) as the frame was being manufactured and the gun assembled. NO ONE either noticed or saw fit to reject that glaringly obvious problem.

why does anyone live in CA?

Weather, geography, family, work or it's better than where they came from (NY, NJ, MA, some other country). Me personally, I'll be here til retirement then move to NV. Came from NJ (way worse than CA, and no weather or geography to make up for the rulers and their folly). I figure my house in northern CA will allow me to get a bunch of land anywhere else so there's that.