Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sonic Cleaner Suggestions Please...

hcf1976

I have the Hornady cleaner, but I use Lyman solution because it is available at my local gun shop. I have tried to make homemade mixtures as recommended online, but it really doesn't seem to work very well compared to the Lyman solution. I have used almost a gallon of the Hornady solution and not sure it was any different, but haven't used it in quite some time.

Would I invest into this again? I am not really seeing big enough difference. Also, unless you have the large tub version like I have, it would take forever to clean batches of brass. YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...

I got one to use for cleaning primer pockets and holes for precision rifle, but found it was overkill for me. It is good for doing some gun parts however. As for chemicals, simple is better. You really only need a surfactant (wetting agent) or a tiny amount of very mild detergent.

I've found ultra sonic cleaning of brass is a waste of time, and almost feel the same way about using one for cleaning guns.

It's a very time consuming process either way. Wet tumbling is a much fast and more productive way to clean brass, and unless you are cleaning a set of dirty bolt carriers or .22 parts (by far the filthiest thing I have to deal with), it's not very practical.

I've got two Lyman ultra sonic cleaners, one was used once for a small batch of brass (never used it for brass again) and a second time for cleaning a couple of bolt carriers and .22 parts, outside of those two times it hasn't been used since. The second machine was acquired when I bought out a guy who purchased a bunch of reloading stuff, but never used it..... that machine has never been used and will be sold at a local swap meet hosted by my club this weekend.

I've used Lyman Brass/Gun Cleaner solutions only.

~g

I've got the 2L Hornady unit and use it all of the time for cleaning brass (w/ the hornady solution). It's actually my only brass cleaning system. I always run large, multiple batches and so the cost of the cleaning solution is negligible.

If I had to do it over again I would have instead gone with the stainless steel pin system as I think it produces better brass cleanging results. However, I'm happier with the U/S system vs the media tumbling approach.

FYI - being retired, the extra time involved for drying is neglible given that I can clean each batch in less than 30 minutes. Will typically do 4-5 batches at a time and then discard the solution. I lay out the brass (after running them through a salad spinner to get most of the moisture out) on a workbench (on a towel) for a day to dry. Possibly 2 days in cold weather.

To be honest, I haven't used it for cleaning gun parts as I don't think it would save me any time.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you remove your primers before or after sonic cleaning the brass? I have the RCBS sonic cleaner. I read online that depriming before cleaning can ruin your dies. I hope to reload my first (newbie) batch early next week.

Thanks!

Uncledoc

I have the Harbor Freight model and only use it to clean the AR15 bolt/carrier and the upper on Glocks. They work fairly well once they heat up and you have new solution, I use simple green,.

I originally got the Hornady ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning brass. It did a good job with the brass solution but it took too long to clean a sufficient volume of cases for me. (I now use a cement mixer and ss pins). I mostly use it now to clean magazine parts. I disassemble the mags and throw all the parts into the ultrasound and let it cook for a half an hour. It cleans all the carbon blowby quite well. I use the steel parts concentrate diluted to the maximum level

post-56380-0-74485800-1444531565_thumb.j

post-56380-0-18548900-1444531614_thumb.j

post-56380-0-65989300-1444531635_thumb.j

post-56380-0-22502400-1444531746_thumb.j

I have the large HF one and haven't used it for brass as it has been said it may or may not do the job you want. I do use it for other items and for most things it works well. Have done some gun parts but you have do do numerpus syscles to get it clean along with they do work better when tused on the heat cycle. Aldso a low sudsing mild detergent will work in them. Do not use any type of flammable solvent in any brand of sonic cleaner as most have open contact switches and the spark can set off a boom! So legends in thier own minds on the net postred the use of solvents. I use simple green or the purple cleaner by castrol.

Do you remove your primers before or after sonic cleaning the brass? I have the RCBS sonic cleaner. I read online that depriming before cleaning can ruin your dies. I hope to reload my first (newbie) batch early next week.

Thanks!

Uncledoc

Buy a universal decapping die and use it before cleaning brass. I do this on rifle brass, but have returned to dry tumbling pistol brass fresh from the range, then sizing it on a single stage press before wet tumbling. This way I only handle it once, as opposed to decapping, wet tumbling, then sizing before loading. Some guys don't bother decapping before tumbling, and aren't concerned about the residue in the primer pockets. Different strokes for different folks. I do realize this thread is about sonic cleaners, but the desired end results are the same, and the handling is pretty similar. I hope nobody minds my chiming in.

http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.htmlbeen using this formula for years. the beaker thing didn't work out for me

sometime i deprime before sometimes i dont, not sure how much of that dirt makes to press, i brush off and blow off press frequently.

when i do deprime before i use..... http://www.midwayusa.com/product/220617/frankford-arsenal-platinum-series-hand-deprimer-tool

i've recently seen amazing results with citric acid, and passivation.... i going to experiment with adding this step ... not necessarily sonic

Edited by biglou13