Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking to give 3 gun a try

dolton916

I had a offer to play on a 3 gun course locally in a practice setting, and I think I may be hooked.

I used my FNX45, a 20" .223 wylde AR, and my 28" 12ga semi. They're what I had at the range with me.

Question is after a case of 12 ga. my shoulder wants a divorce.

What is the preferred method of recoil management? Lighter loads? Mechanical? Simply heavier gun? Learn to hit the target so you don't shot as much?

I currently don't load shotgun but with my son and I doing this would it be worth the time to try and develop a load?

I understand that the guns used are not ideal but I'm hoping to not start buying dedicated guns if I can use or lightly modify what I have. what I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not an expert, but as long as the shotgun fits you properly, to keep recoil down run the lightest recoiling shells that will function 100% in your gun and still take out the targets. For many this is good quality 1200 fps 1-1/8 oz loads.

I've had good luck with Remington Gun Club, Remington STS and Winchester AA. My gun is well broke in and springs installed that allow me to shoot 1145 fps loads.

As for reloading shotgun shells, its just not worth it. Watch for sales and you can save some serious mt oney. I was able to buy Winchester AA from Brownells on sale at $7.99 per box with free shipping. And Winchester had a $2 a box rebate at the same time. Net $5.99 per box.

Oh and learn to hit the target so you don't shoot as much. :cheers:

A case 250 rounds of 3 dram 1 1/8 can be a bit of a rough day especially combined with the other two guns.

I wouldn't look to hard at gun issues nor skill issues quite yet.

Yes, the guys on here can shoot a 1,000 rounds a day and it doesn't phase them (yea right) , but it is something one works up too.

As was said well by others IF you have a crappy recoil pad, change it...but I would make sure the gun FIT you first.

Read this>>http://www.multigunmedia.com/shotgun-fit.pdf

Edited by P.E. Kelley

1K in a day...not this guy. :)

But like Patrick said, fit and a good pad are both essential.

There are very few 3G matches have you shoot more than 100-150 rounds of shotgun, and that over 2 or 3 days. Staff, shooting the practical shotgun matches, will hit from 200 to 300 in one day, then work the match for everyone else. :)

I should mention that my shoulder never gets sore because the stock is actually riding my chest. Its not a joint therefore it doesn't bounce around under recoil and if I'm standing square to the target the stock doesn't try to deflect off and pull skin like it does with a conventional bladed stance. I have yet to shoot the 1000's of rounds in one day that Pat speaks of, but I can honestly say that 250 in a day is not an issue. If your shooting the lightest loads your gun can run, and adopt an aggressive stance with a gun that fits you, there's no reason a shotgun should hurt.

I've always wondered just how tuned up some of the big guys shotguns are. I know some people are better at managing recoil but those guys rip and their guns barely seem to move. I want to know what that secret is!

I'm no big guy (both in fame and stature) but there's no tuning here yet very little recoil: https://youtu.be/32k1a3eWcOY

Its all in technique.

Edited by TonytheTiger

Thanks gentlemen I was using AA Super Sporting Clays 2 3/4" 1oz 7.5 shot, my usual trap load.

Just about three times my usual daily shot count.

I'm using a second gen Verona SX405 auto. I was told I'll need a mag tube extension and that a Rem 1100 may fit it but I haven't investigated it yet.

The recommendation to hit the gym is right on. This is tougher than it looks!

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Getting the gun into my pec and squaring more to the target has helped my recoil management tremendously. I am newb to shotgun. First time I shot a round of sporting clays I had a giant bruise the next day!

Started shooting 3gun and have a long way to go, but now shotgun is my favorite part. Still have a lot to learn, but am thankful a better shooter suggested this to me. Grew up shooting more bladed.