Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

making major PF in revolver division

mac266

I've been toying with the idea of shooting in revolver division using a 6-shot S&W 686, a .357 magnum. From looking at the loading data it appears I would have to push maximum load to make major. My bullet of choice would be a 158 grain lead round nose, because I cast my own bullets and can make them by the thousand very cheaply. Plus the round noses would enable fast reloading.

Assuming the actual weight to be 158 grains (because it could change, depending on the alloy I use, so we'll start there), and looking at the load data on the Hodgdon web site, loading to their maximum load with Titegroup would give me a PF of 166. The minimum for major is 165. Other powders give similar results.

Of course, this is all subject to the actual weight of the bullet, and the actual velocity as measured by a chrono. But, in these early stages of just toying with the idea and looking at "book data," it makes it seem as though I would be feeding my gun a steady diet of heavy hitting ammo to make major. I usually keep my reloads in the middle of the load charts.

Does anyone think this pursuit might not be worthwhile using a .357? Maybe shooting a 925 with the big .45 bullets wouldn't beat up the gun so much? The thing is, I have a .357, and I don't have a .45 ACP revolver.

Maybe I'll show up with my .44 magnum :) Ok, that was a joke, but I would like to know what guys are doing with .357s regarding PF.

Maybe I'm missing something but you only need to push a 158 gr bullet to 1075 fps to make 170 PF

How is that not easily achievable with Titegroup in a 357 Magnum?

5.0 gr of TG under a 158 gr LSWC = 1108 fps = 175 PF straight from hodgdonreloading.com

Or load some 200 gr 44 Specials at 850 fps, or same cartridge with a 240 gr bullet at 700 fps

Edited by elguapo

I second the heavy bullet option, for me I can get bulk 180gr cast pretty cheap since I don't cast my own. If you're already casting 158gr by the bucket then just use the data available and get it up there. I am guessing you only looked at their lead data? You can use jacketed data if you keep the C.O.L in check and have the right lube to run at those velocities. Since you cast your own I'm also guessing you're familiar with the right sizing/lube/alloy?

I second the heavy bullet option, for me I can get bulk 180gr cast pretty cheap since I don't cast my own. If you're already casting 158gr by the bucket then just use the data available and get it up there. I am guessing you only looked at their lead data? You can use jacketed data if you keep the C.O.L in check and have the right lube to run at those velocities. Since you cast your own I'm also guessing you're familiar with the right sizing/lube/alloy?

The first thing you need to clear up is if you're using 38 Special or 357 Magnum cases and load data.....

Making major with 357 cases and 158 cast lead bullets is child's play

Oh yeah, I just assumed you were using 357 cases.

1- Yes, I'm an avid bullet caster, so I am quite adept at selecting the correct size, lube, and alloy for the task.

2- Yes, .357 magnum cases. I wouldn't even want to begin to try to make major with .38 special.

Perhaps my math was wrong; everyone is saying it's easy to make major but I was showing it only approaching maximum loads. I'm sure I just calculated it wrong.

If I do shoot USPSA in revolver division, though, I'm going to have it machined for moon clips. Yes, I know it's odd with a rimmed cartridge. Color me odd.

Edited by mac266

It shouldn't be too difficult to make major in 38 special cases. On their website, Alliant lists a +p load with 6 grains of power pistol under a 158 grain lead semi wad cutter. Makes 163 power factor. A heavy bullet load that doesn't stray too far from published +p data should be plenty safe in a 357 Magnum revolver.

The long Magnum brass would be a troublesome on reloads, even with moonclips.

It's easy to make major with a heavy bullet and a moderate velocity. Then the recoil is way down there compared to shooting a lighter bullet really fast. I would go with a .38 special case and 180 or 200 gr. round nose. You will knock down the reactive targets with authority with the heavy bullets too.

Edited by Toolguy

Several years ago, I shot major with a moon clipped 6 shot 686. I really don't remember the load but it was 160gr bullet in 38spl case using 357DATA. Powder was either Clays or HS6.

Having used Titegroup powder, I say stay away from it. Barrel gets too hot and not enough time between stages to cool. I am a strong hand reloader with a lot of feeling loss and very little heat sensitivity in my hands and it still was too hot for me.

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

With .38 Special cases, even with a 158 grain bullet (180/200 grains is better) you can make Major in a .357 chambered gun easily with medium burn powders like Unique, Longshot, and other similar burn rates. I wouldn't shoot them in a .38 SpI chambered gun, but the .357 will take that pressure easily.

! would avoid fast powders in this area (especially TiteGroup). Medium burn rates should produce the best results.

I saw a guy at US IPSC Championship this week shooting Major with a revolver. He was shooting .38 Long Colt with a 245 grain bullet. The bullet was actually as long as the brass.

He made major though!

Holy cow!

I bet Usain Bolt could outrun that bullet.

I saw a guy at US IPSC Championship this week shooting Major with a revolver. He was shooting .38 Long Colt with a 245 grain bullet. The bullet was actually as long as the brass.

He made major though!

CORRECTION.

That was my buddy Daniel from Brasil and it was 245 grain bullet in a SHORT colt. The bullet is actually longer than the casing. That fool took third overall with the crappy Taurus.