Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need a new high volume dry tumbler

RickT

My Frankford Arsenal tumbler is about to give up the ghost and I'm looking for a durable replacement. We're running through about 4K rounds/month and I'd like to be able to do 1000 9mm cases at a time. Would also like the darn thing to last a few years. Is there anything out there that fits the bill? I'd settle for 500 rounds capacity, but I need the durability.

I have an old Frankfort Arsenal tumbler, I think about 500 cases or so per run, but it's all offline. Meaning unless you only have 20 minutes to tumble, you just run it around the clock, and keep reloading. After only a few weeks you have thousands of cleaned cases. When I get halfway thru a 5 gallon bucket of brass, I run the tumbler operation for a few days and build up the next 5,000 cases.

If you want volume and durability in a dry tumbler Thumlers is what you need. The UV18 will do 1000 9mm, if you really want volume get a UV45. They are not inexpensive but they will last and do an excellent job.

I have both.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Edited by ToddKS

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/tumblers/2500-auto-flo-tumbler.php

I've had mine since 2008. I haven't counted, but they claim it can handle up to 1000 .38spl...so 1000 9mm should be no problem. I found the catch pan that came with it to be undersized and basically unusable. I bought a much larger one from a local feed store.

I think I'm going to give the Hornady a try. Capacity is only 500 or so 9mm, but I believe it comes with a 2 year warranty which would be 80,000 cases. I'd be happy to get 2 years out of an $80 tumbler. If the Hornady fails the Thumler UV-18 looks interesting.

I have a seven gallon Crest Ultrasonic cleaner that would easily do that.

http://www.amazon.com/Crest-CP2600HT-CP2600-HT-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-Heat/dp/B0064I9TMM/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1442191173&sr=8-12&keywords=crest+ultrasonic

I have yet to clean any cases with it, as I have been vibratory tumbling them as it seems easier. A few years ago I found a new Burr King 150 on eBay for a couple hundred bucks ($700.00 tumbler) and it does a great job!

I occasionally wet tumble brass, but can't seem to stop it from tarnishing before it dries. Then I end up dry tumbling it anyway.

Edited by TDA

I'm perfectly happy with a dry tumbler. Just looking for something that will last a couple of years. I know the Hornady is not a great unit, but a least I'll have some cheap data when it dies.

I think I'm going to give the Hornady a try. Capacity is only 500 or so 9mm, but I believe it comes with a 2 year warranty which would be 80,000 cases. I'd be happy to get 2 years out of an $80 tumbler. If the Hornady fails the Thumler UV-18 looks interesting.

The Hornady is underpowered and noisy. That is what I had before I got the Thumlers. Gave it away once I got the Thumlers.

Buy the UV18. You will be happy you did.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I use a Thumler UV-18 for dry tumbling, it has done a very good job. I bought it used with zero idea how much use it had seen before me but I have done at least 30,000 cases with it and it works the same since the day I received it (I have also done some wet tumbling of metal parts/hardware with ceramic media so it sees a variety of uses).

How many cases are you able to tumble in the Harbor Freight? I only bought the Franklin wet tumbler because I wanted to do roughly 1,000 .223s at a time (I was tired of 200 - 300 in my 30 year old Lyman 1200 Pro!). Wet tumbling for me is a lot of extra work, so I am also looking for a large capacity dry tumbler...

Last year I went with a Kobalt 4-cf Cement Mixer from Lowes and I could not be happier.

1 bucket of sorted brass, 2 buckets media. I run it with a cover on - took it off for the video so you can see the action.

http://tinyurl.com/CMtumbler

The Kobalt has an resin drum which is much quieter then a metal drum.

It's not the number of rounds per bowl, it's the number of rounds per run. Like I said, I run mine off line, overnight, one is walnut with mineral oil for cleaning, the other is corn with nufinish for polishing. In 20 days I can fill a 5 gal bucket. Currently have three 5 gallon buckets full ready to load, and 3 more ready to process.