Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Objective comp testing

kneelingatlas

What I think would be interesting would be to use a ransom rest or something similar that would take the human out of the equation.

If anyone has one I can use, send it my way :)

OK, It'll be there next week :-)

Atlas:

The gap between comp and slide is .005 That's a decent clearance.

At .003 or less , sometimes there can be problems in the future if the gun settles in, parts wear

and tolerances go away. It can depend on the builder and fitting of the gun as to how much a gun will break in

and get to it's final resting place when locked up.

Also make sure there's a 1 degree back-angle relief on the front of the slide for compensator clearance.

Best of luck

Edited by gennaro

As long as the clearance is greater than .000 there really shouldn't be a problem, right? I mean even at .001 or .002 the parts aren't touching, so you should be good as long as the gap doesn't become any smaller, right?

My new Open gun is at .003, so this topic is very interesting topics me. Do you think I should remove the comp and take a little off just to be sure, or just be vigilant in monitoring that the gap does not decrease too much as the pistol wears in?

You could mark it with some layout fluid then shoot 2 rounds and see if you can determines if it's hitting or not? I'm not an expert, I'm only regurgitating others knowledge but 0.003 is probably still in the 'acceptable' range. Can always ask your smith what he thinks too.

Edited by BeerBaron

This is a video shot through the scope of Brad Griffin's open gun to show the dot tracking. The video was shot at 600fps. https://youtu.be/arSD8glI4jU​

And here is my attempt at designing a comp to tame major 9 in a Glock 17. Since shooting this video I have reduced the slide weight and added a magwell and optic mount and the guns shoots surprisingly flat for a 9 major Glock.

Edited by staudacher

My new Open gun is at .003, so this topic is very interesting topics me. Do you think I should remove the comp and take a little off just to be sure, or just be vigilant in monitoring that the gap does not decrease too much as the pistol wears in?

I learned this lesson the hard way. Keep an eye on it. During a match I notice something flying forward (my comp) and my next shot was considerably different. This was around the 18k mark.

Hello: I am not Dan but I have shot with Brad here a couple of times here. He shoots 38 but I am not sure who built the gun or the powder he uses. I know he has a thumb rest on it as well. I am not sure when I will see him next since soccer season has started and I won't be shooting for a while. Thanks, Eric

The non vertical tracking on Brad's gun is most likely due to the thumb rest. When doing the high speed video I have seen this with every gun I have done video on that was equipped with a thumb rest.

As for details on his gun. I can't remember who built the gun.

I learned this lesson the hard way. Keep an eye on it. During a match I notice something flying forward (my comp) and my next shot was considerably different. This was around the 18k mark.

Ouch!

Do you remember the number of ports in the barrel? Or the type of comp?

Three vertical ports with side vents and one horizontal. If you check out Brad's Facebook page you he has several pics. he has one that has side vents and one that doesn't. If I remember right the one used in the video was the one with the vents.

Edited by staudacher

Wow that is awesome it is anazing what can be achieved with the right set up. It's also amazing how so much can be learned with the right camera setup! Kneelingatlas you have a plethora of knowledge!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I don't know how "flat" my gun shoots but here's what I do know. With the load I'm shooting currently, the dot settles down before I have the next target in my sights. It appears to me the dot is not moving vertically at all. This is the sight picture I get when shooting plates as fast and accurately as I can. But when I'm shooting slow and deliberate, I lose sight of the dot for a moment. So my gun does not shoot as flat as it seems when shooting in a speed competition, but it doesn't matter because it's settling down faster than I can get the dot on the next target.

I only very recently started shooting an open auto, just at practice, i have never shot it in a match.

You just made me realize something i couldn't really reconcile when I was shooting the gun, like the more deliberate I was being, the more the gun/dot was moving, but when I went faster it seemed more calm(if not insanely loud...)

interesting observation!

This is Brad. Part of the reason the dot didn't track perfectly up and down.......I was having to hold the gun with the camera between me and the gun. I was watching the the dot from the camera's back screen. In other words - didn't have the best grip and stance.

For my match loads - I run N105 and MG 121's around 175pf. Since that video was made, I have completely rebuilt that gun. Today two of my open guns use the Brazos Thundercomp and my primary gun uses Dave Pruitt's A-zone comp. In all 3 guns, I have 3 hybrid holes through the slide and thus the barrel (as opposed to the little Poppleholes).

Both comps work very well, but they certainly have a different personality. The Brazo's comp seems to prefer a pf of around 170 - 172 and I get better results when using a 124gr bullet. Dave's comp seems to work better around the 175pf and using the 121gr bullet.

Edited by moverfive

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the Intel. Very educational. I'm fairly new in open and was wondering your thoughts on CFE?

Currently running 6.9g with a 124g projectile and SRP.

For 9 major.

Tried HS6 and silhouette. CFE seems most consistent Any thoughts would be great since I'm buildings an open gun with your same Bedell Ti Comp w a Schuemann AET barrel. Thanks