Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you do....

RudyVey

..with bad re-loads?? I have had a my fair share of bad loads with up-side and sideways primers from my SQDs.

I have pulled a lot of the bullets and recovered the powder with a kinetic bullet puller.

Now I have a small container full of the brass with the primers in it. Cannot toss this in the trash or bring to the scrap metal guy.

Someone said to soak them in brake fluid, this would destroy the primers and I can afterwards toss them in the garbage.

True or false???

What are you doing, let me (us) know.

The best way I've found is just put it in your sidearm and pop the primer. Kinda sounds like a cap gun ya had as a kid. Or if I want the brass I have carefully decapped the primer and reused it. Though some people think it's dangerous I have never had a problem. Either way you can save the brass which is the whole point.

Yep, deprime carefully, and you can sometimes save the primer. I usually deprime on the 550, but a RockChucker standing nearby works as well.I have yet to have a primer "pop" during this process, and yes, I do wear safety glasses.

Edited by Clipper

I have deprimed live primers and have had no incidents so far. Always wear ear and eye pro. Usually move back a step or two form the Dillon when doing this. Makes me nervous but have had no issues.

Never have reused a primer, no reason to take a chance as primers are cheap. I may be doing it wrong but I just throw the Unfired primers in with the other discarded primers and dump in the trash. This post has made me reconsider that practice.

Rudy, whats a bad reload? I have loaded around 250,000 .45acp and 9mm, rounds thru my SD in the 15 years I have had it, with maybe a hand full of upside down and high primers (not a press problem). I broke the left link arm about 3 years ago, it still ran, but it was throwing long loads, over 1.180", and didn't notice it until the middle of the match, the rounds were not feeding. To be fair, I have only used one powder in that whole time, TiteGroup, but have gone thru several types of bullets, lead, moly, copper washed, plated, full jacket, and finally Bayou bullets. The overall and charge weight have varied, but the rounds were accurate and always made the powder floor.

Hot tip for the SD is get rid of the plastic tip in the primer magazine assembly #22030, and replace it with the 650 tube with the brass tip, 18S 22032, no more primer issues. Dillon does not recommend this, but my SD has been running for over 5 years after I switched with no sideways primers.

I have had many issues with upside and sideways primers. In the attached picture you see that the primer arm hits the underplate of the shellplate and this will result in flipped primers. I contacted Dillon and showed them the pictures, they asked to send the press back so they can figure it out and fix it. Press is on its way back. I have two, but the 9 mm has a lot of this, with the .45 it was very limited.

It was a problem from the get go, but increased over time. I even changed the primer arm and it did the same with the new small primer assembly.

I will eventually replace the plastic tips with the brtass tips. At the moment I am using my .45 press for which I got a conversion kit for 9 mm and have no problems, so I would assume the other press has a problem.

I not having a problem with losing some of the parts, primers are cheap, but I want to dispose of them properly and noone should be harmed. I do not like the idea of depriming the live primers, so the oil/brakefluid seems the safest way of destroying the primer.

post-54788-0-79996200-1441640464_thumb.j

In 40 years, I have never had a primer go off when depriming a live primer, nor do I see it as a major event if it happened.

Call the primer companies if you want, but I either deprime or fire them in a gun. Almost anything you hear, other than from a primer manufacturer is probably more old wive's tale.

^^^

You occasionally find them turned sideways and crushed into the case and they didn't go bang when that happened, so why would pushing a primer back out suddenly cause it to?

Also, on my Dillon presses the decapping pin is in the sizing die, so the case is inside the die when the pin is pushing the primer out. The primer is not even exposed.

Last time I had to push out a sideways primer, and after reading all of the threads about this, I placed the crushed primer on a 125# anvil and had to hit it twice with a 12oz hammer to get it to go bang. That's a hell of a lot more force that you'll ever possibly be able to exert by pushing on it with a decapping pin.

And no, it didn't blow me over, shred my cloths, or level the building! :rolleyes:

YMMV

Edited by TDA

^^^

You occasionally find them turned sideways and crushed into the case and they didn't go bang when that happened, so why would pushing a primer back out suddenly cause it to?

Also, on my Dillon presses the decapping pin is in the sizing die, so the case is inside the die when the pin is pushing the primer out. The primer is not even exposed.

Last time I had to push out a sideways primer, and after reading all of the threads about this, I placed the crushed primer on a 125# anvil and had to hit it twice with a 12oz hammer to get it to go bang. That's a hell of a lot more force that you'll ever possibly be able to exert by pushing on it with a decapping pin.

And no, it didn't blow me over, shred my cloths, or level the building! :rolleyes:

Haha but what about the hammer it had to total it out right?

Rudy, could be a couple of things going on with your SD. The platform base disc, # 13690, which is what you see in your picture, is indexed to the platform (ram) with a tool at the factory. If that is not properly aligned, it can cause real issues. That part is not something you take off at home! The other thing is the primer seating punch, # 13757, has to adjusted correctly in the primer slide assembly.

About the only issue I encounter is not catching a mil spec crimped brass and get the primer stuck halfway. I make no attempt to recover those, rather just pitch the case in the spent primer catch tray which is oil filled to capture all the dust. In the time it takes to mess with stuck primer you can crank out 20 more rounds. And with five 5 gallon buckets full of 9mm brass, I could care less.

You can see the small primer sticking up in thru the base disc, after the shell plate bolt broke from 15 years of continuous service, about 20K a year. Also shown the oil filled primer catch pan.

image37076.jpgimage37092.jpg

Edited by 9x45

Rudy, could be a couple of things going on with your SD. The platform base disc, # 13690, which is what you see in your picture, is indexed to the platform (ram) with a tool at the factory. If that is not properly aligned, it can cause real issues. That part is not something you take off at home! The other thing is the primer seating punch, # 13757, has to adjusted correctly in the primer slide assembly.

About the only issue I encounter is not catching a mil spec crimped brass and get the primer stuck halfway. I make no attempt to recover those, rather just pitch the case in the spent primer catch tray which is oil filled to capture all the dust. In the time it takes to mess with stuck primer you can crank out 20 more rounds. And with five 5 gallon buckets full of 9mm brass, I could care less.

You can see the small primer sticking up in thru the base disc, after the shell plate bolt broke from 15 years of continuous service, about 20K a year. Also shown the oil filled primer catch pan.

image37076.jpgimage37092.jpg

My press came back today, repaired by Dillon. Just set it all up and it works fine - hope this stays so. The oil in the tray is a good idea, I use an old dog food bowl to catch the spend primers.