Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Critique my 3gun rifle build

cactusbrew

Alright, I have decided to assemble a new rifle for 3gun. This last year, I used my stock KAC SR15 with red dot, and have decided to now build a dedicated 3gun rifle.

I compete in matches with targets out to 550 to 600 yds, so will be focusing on an 18'' build. Here is what I have so far. Thoughts or comments are always appreciated.

I don't know why, but I have always enjoyed build threads, so I thought I would throw mine out for everyone.

UPPER:

RAINIER Arms Ultramatch Billet Upper & Ambi lower combo set - mod 3 (I must have an ambi lower, as I'm a crazy lefty)

Nordic 18'' barrel with rifle length gas chambered in 223 wylde

Syrac adjustable gas block

Precision Armament M4-72 comp

JP LMOS carrier group with bolt

AXTS Raptor ambi charging handle

Lancer Carbon fiber XL handguard (still up in the air on which handguard I'm going with. I want a carbon fiber but still up in the air)

LOWER:

Rainier Arms billet upper/lower combo set (already mentioned above)

Ergo or Hogue pistol grip

JP Lower parts kit

JP Silent buffer spring kit

Seekins ambi safety

Geisselle SSA-E (because I really like a 2-stage trigger)

Rifle will be topped off with a Vortex Razor HD 1-6 in a Warne mount (won the mount at a match a few weeks ago)

So what does everyone think? My one uncertainty is on the handguard. I would like to go carbon fiber to save weight but am still uncertain on exact one. I do not want a round handguard, rather I want a handguard with a flat bottom, so any ideas on other carbon fiber handguards?

Alright, I have decided to assemble a new rifle for 3gun. This last year, I used my stock KAC SR15 with red dot, and have decided to now build a dedicated 3gun rifle.

I compete in matches with targets out to 550 to 600 yds, so will be focusing on an 18'' build. Here is what I have so far. Thoughts or comments are always appreciated.

I don't know why, but I have always enjoyed build threads, so I thought I would throw mine out for everyone.

UPPER:

RAINIER Arms Ultramatch Billet Upper & Ambi lower combo set - mod 3 (I must have an ambi lower, as I'm a crazy lefty)

Nordic 18'' barrel with rifle length gas chambered in 223 wylde

Syrac adjustable gas block

Precision Armament M4-72 comp

JP LMOS carrier group with bolt

AXTS Raptor ambi charging handle

Lancer Carbon fiber XL handguard (still up in the air on which handguard I'm going with. I want a carbon fiber but still up in the air)

LOWER:

Rainier Arms billet upper/lower combo set (already mentioned above)

Ergo or Hogue pistol grip

JP Lower parts kit

JP Silent buffer spring kit

Seekins ambi safety

Geisselle SSA-E (because I really like a 2-stage trigger)

Rifle will be topped off with a Vortex Razor HD 1-6 in a Warne mount (won the mount at a match a few weeks ago)

So what does everyone think? My one uncertainty is on the handguard. I would like to go carbon fiber to save weight but am still uncertain on exact one. I do not want a round handguard, rather I want a handguard with a flat bottom, so any ideas on other carbon fiber handguards?

SOunds good to me other than as Marko said you don't need an adjustable gas just get a simple gas block like a Troy.. For handguards lots of good choices I like the AP customs ones to save weight.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I dont mind a little weight in the handguard, besides the Razor HD is one heavy unit. 24oz. I personally dont think the cost vs weight savings of carbon fiber is worth it, but to each his own. Consider the SLR gas block over the syrac. I have the syrac and I'll be switching it up soon.

Looks like it will be a very nice, well thought out rifle.

It looks like a good build. I would consider and aero precision ultra light mount as a weight saver. I run the 1-6 razor and love it but it is pretty heavy. I shoot 75's and they leave my bore at 2535 FPS, the JM reticle does not work for me but the MOA reticle is almost perfect.

I run the SSA and love it. I want to try the SSA-E.

Thanks for the clarification on the gas block. I will go with a non-adjustable.

MarkCO - I like the idea of saving money, so I will take your suggestion on the JP spring and buffer.

When it comes to the optic, I agree, the Vortex is quite a bit heavier then the Swaro Z6i. I have went back on forth on optic and will probably delay buying an optic until I can settle this argument in my head. The swaro is half the weight and in the long run, every ounce matters. My one thing I'm trying to justify is if every ounce matters to the tune of over $1000 bucks more for a Swaro.

Thanks for the comments thus far. Keep em coming.

I would swap the 18" barrel for a Stretch 16 and go with AR Gold trigger.

LOL, those are in my match rifles. :)

I just put a build together with the Stretch and while its too early to tell I do like it but my Nordic 18 inch rifle build is more accurate.

Thanks for bringing up the Aero Precision mount. I see it weighs in at 3.27 ounces whereas the Warne mount is 6.7 ounces.

In relation to the Stretch16, I have read quite a bit about it, and even contemplated it. My main concern is consistent long range accuracy. If I was shooting 200 yds or less, I would go with the stretch16, I'm just concerned on the long range accuracy. Perhaps its unfounded and after shooting the 18inch, maybe I will gravitate to the stretch16.

Oh so many options, yet so little time.

Edited by cactusbrew

I'm not speaking of mechanical accuracy, I'm more on the concept of velocity from a longer barrel, etc.

And MarkCO, in another thread you said you ran an 18 inch Nordic on your longer range gun and kept the stretch for shorter range courses. Don't tell me you are changing your mind now. ha-ha. :)

Edited by cactusbrew

FWIW, with some (not a ton) of live fire experimentation and a ton (17 metric ass-tons to be exact) of ballistic calculator tinkering my conclusion is that there's not a huge difference in the ballistics downrange, especially at 3 gun distances, when going from a 16" to an 18". There is a difference, but the advantage will be hard to notice in the crappy position the stage designer stuck you in. Its nowhere near the ballistic step-up you get from going from 16" to 20", or 18" to 24". Just my thoughts on the subject.

• 2 weeks later...