Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What grain bullets are you using in your P-09

goosedowner

It's not light V heavier that the CZ's like it is the faster speed that the 115 move at. light V heavier is all about recoil. light bullets have more recoil(case has more powder in it to make the bullet go faster) Heavy bullets have less recoil(case has less powder in it, bullet goes slower)

In my 40 cal P 09 the most accurate load Ive shot so far has been with a light 140gr bullet. I have shot other accurate, slower moving loads but the fast movers do seem the most accurate. Im guessing the CZ barrels have a slower twist rate.

My P-07 is more accurate with Freedom 115 FMJ, than my 124 gr handloads using Xtreme bullets. But the difference is small, maybe 3/4" larger groups at 10 yards.

My P-09 shoots better with my 124 gr handloads vs my 147 gr handloads. Never tried factory ammo in it.

One thing I'm sure of; everytime I shoot them I love them more. Under-rated.

In my 40 cal P 09 the most accurate load Ive shot so far has been with a light 140gr bullet. I have shot other accurate, slower moving loads but the fast movers do seem the most accurate. Im guessing the CZ barrels have a slower twist rate.

I talked to Jim Stinar of SNS Casting this weekend, and he said a couple well known builders have told him their 140 gr in .40 is the most accurate bullet they've ever seen. I run 165s in my P-09 (Production .40 minor) and it's fine, but now I'm intrigued to see if I can get a comfortable load with 140s that isn't too snappy.

I talked to Jim Stinar of SNS Casting this weekend, and he said a couple well known builders have told him their 140 gr in .40 is the most accurate bullet they've ever seen. I run 165s in my P-09 (Production .40 minor) and it's fine, but now I'm intrigued to see if I can get a comfortable load with 140s that isn't too snappy.

I have not done exhausive testing but my most accurate load with the 140's has been 4.9gr titegroup over 140 Bayou or Ibejihead coated FP. They make about 150PF and will shoot about 1.5" at 25yds. I have also recently tried the 140 Bayou over 4.6gr of WST, almost as accurate, makes about 144 PF, definately a little softer. Will have to get some of the SNS 140's to try out.

SNS

Blue Bullets

Bullet Dudes

X-Treme

That is the order of best to least accurate.

I have been a long time Blue Bullet shooter, but will be changing as soon as my current supply is gone.

The Bullet Dudes had some smoke that I noticed while shooting. Sometimes I notice smoke on a video, but never before while shooting. They were ok for accuracy, but no way I'd use them in a match, especially in our humid Florida weather.

I also really like the beveled base of the SNS

I'd be interested to know if anyone has had repeatable results with BBI bullets at any weight. I'll be eager to share once I receive my P-09, but can't until then. As stated, I'll only be able to contribute info re: 147gr FP. OR...maybe I'll pick up some other weights and brands.

SNS

Blue Bullets

Bullet Dudes

X-Treme

On the SNS, flat or round nose? I am out of 124/5 grain and need to re-order soon (as in yesterday). I'd like to try the SNS. I've never been super happy with the X-Treme and I was about to order Blue Bullets when I saw this.

SNS

Blue Bullets

Bullet Dudes

X-Treme

On the SNS, flat or round nose? I am out of 124/5 grain and need to re-order soon (as in yesterday). I'd like to try the SNS. I've never been super happy with the X-Treme and I was about to order Blue Bullets when I saw this.

I only use round nose

This is an interesting thread in the fact that it marries up with the old RN vs SWC debate on 45's. Many folks suggest typical 1911 rifling is optimized for "hard ball" velocities, which nobody really loads 230 to but near everyone loads 200/185 grain projectiles to. Sounds like CZ rifling may be optimized for NATO spec 9mm (1185 FPS), so 115's at 130 PF move at 1130 FPS are closest to that. I wonder if there is any validity to that.

• 2 weeks later...

Most European 9mm pistols have twist rates of 1:10 or somewhere thereabouts.

P-09 is 1:9.8

CZ-75 is 1:9.7

So standard. I don't think anyone knows why the P-09 seems to like 115gr bullets, but there's enough anecdotal evidence for me to suspect it's true.