Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Pro 40 in Limited?

rack&roll

The M&P works great for limited. I have used one for a couple of years. It just runs and runs. I love not having to worry about reliability. I am a high C class shooter and usually high C right in the middle of the B's at my local matches. I recently switched to a Para Pro Custom, and while it is 12oz heavier and much more accurate, I had the worst match of my life last weekend. In 10 stages I had 8 mikes and 3 no shoots. I am contemplating moving back to the M&P, I shoot it so much better than the Para. The M&P is not holding you back. Keep shooting it in Limited.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

has anyone here tried to attach the SJC Glock frame weight to a M&P? I have heard they make a big difference with recoil management.

SJC has an M&P frame weight on their web site now.

i noticed that, i think i'm going to get one

• 2 weeks later...

I was shooting a 4.25 in m&P with Apex fss, 10-8 sights, uncaptured gide rod 13lb recoil spring, and tti +5 base pads, which I got 20 reloadable. It ran great and would still be shooting it, but got a steal on a CZ 75 preb that I'm now shooting in production.

Edited by crazygiant

• 2 weeks later...

I was a solid Master class shooter with a custom 1911 hi-cap, and dumped it for the M&P in Limited because I was tired of massive gunsmith bills. My scores suffered, but the scores have come back up some since I added all the weight, but they still fall short of where they were with a 1911.

I was a solid Master class shooter with a custom 1911 hi-cap, and dumped it for the M&P in Limited because I was tired of massive gunsmith bills. My scores suffered, but the scores have come back up some since I added all the weight, but they still fall short of where they were with a 1911.

Care to share what add on's you did to add weight to your gun?. I am shooting a 5" Pro in .40 for limited and would appreciate hearing about what was done. The gun is reliable an accurate, but light in weight.

Did it require a special or different holster?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by beretta391

I'm currently shooting a 9mm M&P, and wanting to go to a 5" .40 if I find the right deal. I really like the feel of the gun and I have gotten pretty decent with it compared to shooting other guns with the exception of my 1911. Out of the Plastic guns I have shot, the M&P is my favorite. I think it comes down to sponsors and people shooting what they are getting for free for the most part.

Care to share what add on's you did to add weight to your gun?. I am shooting a 5" Pro in .40 for limited and would appreciate hearing about what was done. The gun is reliable an accurate, but light in weight.

Did it require a special or different holster?

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, mine's a 5" Pro too. I have SSS brass magwell and grip insert, and SSS tungsten guide rod, so no special holster, I'm running a CompTac International. Gun is still too light but I don't have gunsmith bills. The only other things I would recommend is a good trigger or trigger job. I'm running the stock rear sight with a Dawson front sight to get the hits in the right spot. No matter what have spare parts ready; just broke my second slide stop and I'm only a little north of 20k on the gun. I'm considering a barrel upgrade this winter.

Edited by Bill Schwab

Thanks for the follow up Bill....

Though you may have had one of the weights up front like some of the Glock guys have, thats why I mention the holster

Similiar set up here less the magwell, but with the APEX trigger. Been looking at Carver magwell for M&P. 2 types, one heavier than the other. Website claims both work with stock mags, which would be nice, but one is much heavier than the other 1/4 lb. I have no 1st hand experience with it though. My .40 is very manageable with major loads for USPSA , just think it could be better.

http://w.iwebcenters.com/bbenterprise2/ecommerce/custom-magwells-glock-xd-xdm/custom-magwells-for-m-p/carver-custom-big-mouth-magwell-for-mandp-1.cfm

Thank again!

I'm running a 9L with all the goodies everybody else has. Thinking about picking up a SJC weight with thumb rest but I don't really want to go to a race holster since I shoot more 3 gun.

I've thought about jumping ship to one of the cool guns but I just can't seem to get over the M&P. But getting out of limited minor is a motivating factor. I like shooting the same thing for both disciplines, maybe I should make the jump to .40.

I'm currently shooting a 9mm M&P, and wanting to go to a 5" .40 if I find the right deal. I really like the feel of the gun and I have gotten pretty decent with it compared to shooting other guns with the exception of my 1911. Out of the Plastic guns I have shot, the M&P is my favorite. I think it comes down to sponsors and people shooting what they are getting for free for the most part.

I have a standard size 40 for sale in the classifieds for a killer deal!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a standard size 40 for sale in the classifieds for a killer deal!

I was watching your add actually, I really want to go 5" though.

I run a M&P Pro 40 with apex internals, Sevigny sights, SSS magwell and some TTI and TF extensions. It shoots great and I have had minimal issues with the gun other than not liking certain

magazine one match. I made myself a deal I would shoot until I feel its holding me back in any way. I dont feel that way yet. I also have a 9L slide that I put onto it for 3 gun which makes it nice and easy and I have a consistent grip and trigger pull.

• 1 month later...

Shooting a 5" Pro in Limited with brass & tungsten everything. 21 round mags, too tight to reload, but I can start a stage with 22 rnds.

Sorry everyone. Pretty new at this, didnt mean to quote the above. I only found out I quoted it as I kept teading through the posts and reached the bottom and sae my name and the quote.

Also, I tried to erase it but couldn't figure out how so instead i edited with the apology above.

Edited by robertfrade

I have a couple of questions:

I have been shooting an m&p pro in 9mm. The gun fits my hand well. I have short fingers. I have started shooting in limited and the minor power factor is killing me. I need to go to a .40. I would have liked a double stack 1911 for the extra weight but i can't afford those $2000 guns. Ive looked at the sigs p226 but the double action first pull is too far forward for a proper grip. What other options are there for a heavy frame .40 for short fingers that is around maybe 600 max?

Edited by robertfrade

I saw a post about a frame weight for the S&W m&p pro. Can that be used in limited?

Yes, a frame weight is legal in limited.

The M&P works great for limited. I have used one for a couple of years. It just runs and runs. I love not having to worry about reliability. I am a high C class shooter and usually high C right in the middle of the B's at my local matches. I recently switched to a Para Pro Custom, and while it is 12oz heavier and much more accurate, I had the worst match of my life last weekend. In 10 stages I had 8 mikes and 3 no shoots. I am contemplating moving back to the M&P, I shoot it so much better than the Para. The M&P is not holding you back. Keep shooting it in Limited.

Since I posted this I have shot the Para in many more matches. It took me a few matches and practice sessions to get used to the larger grip, but once I did, I started doing much better than I ever did before. The combination of the heavier gun and the really short single action trigger has made a difference for me. I have been more accurate, recoil control is much easier and I can get the second shot off much faster. You could of named me alpha-charlie when I was shooting my M&P, now the charlies are reduced by half of what they used to be. I was always searching for the softest load to shoot in my M&P. Running right near 165PF to be able to control the recoil better and not have my hands and wrists hurt (arthritis) so bad after a match. With the Para I have increased my loads to 170PF for some cushion and they still shoot pretty soft in the gun.

While I do believe that the Para has helped me, I don't think the M&P is a bad gun for Limited. It is very reliable with acceptable accuracy. There are lots of aftermarket parts for mags, triggers, guide rods, mag wells, etc. to make a fine competition pistol, but it is just not as easy to shoot as a heavier, single action type pistol. (At least for me anyways)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got arouond to installing the SSS ESP magwell with ESP base pads. Easy to install. Looks great, the additional weight helps to balance the gun nicely (M&P .40 5" pro).

The mags seem a little hard to set with this set up installed. Is this by design to fit that snuggly into the magwell? What's the experience of other forum members using this set up? I feel like they must be forced (slammed) into the magwell to seat properly. Once in, retention is fine, they protrude slightly below the magwell, they drop freely, just seems like I must be forceful and deliberate with them, instead of being smooter and effortless.

Tried the mag's only with base pads in another M&P with out the magwell and they insert much easier. Maybe making to much out of it.

Thanks for any input.....

Finally got arouond to installing the SSS ESP magwell with ESP base pads. Easy to install. Looks great, the additional weight helps to balance the gun nicely (M&P .40 5" pro).

The mags seem a little hard to set with this set up installed. Is this by design to fit that snuggly into the magwell? What's the experience of other forum members using this set up? I feel like they must be forced (slammed) into the magwell to seat properly. Once in, retention is fine, they protrude slightly below the magwell, they drop freely, just seems like I must be forceful and deliberate with them, instead of being smooter and effortless.

Tried the mag's only with base pads in another M&P with out the magwell and they insert much easier. Maybe making to much out of it.

My Limited magwell needed some TLC with round files and 220 grit to accept magazines easily. I smeared Sharpie on the spots I thought were binding, seated the mag a few times to see if any got ground off, then went nutty.

Edited by thermobollocks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I shoot a 5" Pro Core 9mm. Apex flat faced trigger kit, SSS non captured guild rod 5", 13lb ISMI spring.

After shooting my new Glock 19 with soveign green fiber optic sight and black rear, I really with I had gone with a 5" Pro .40SW

Edited by Yibomb

My Limited magwell needed some TLC with round files and 220 grit to accept magazines easily. I smeared Sharpie on the spots I thought were binding, seated the mag a few times to see if any got ground off, then went nutty.

New set up is working well, but just got better. Got around to installing a Springer Precision extended mag release and seating of the magazines is working much better. They load much easier now without the force required from using the factory M&P mag release. What a big differece with a small change. Gun is go to go now!

Good luck...