Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EGW Undersize Dies

MissionaryMike

For those of you using these, or who have used these, what's your assessment? I can understand the benefit of re-sizing cases ever so slightly under in order to aid the round in fitting into a chamber or case gauge. I'm just wondering if there are any concerns with that though, like: how does it affect accuracy, is there more potential for cast bullets (or any kind) to bulge, will I need to order custom, undersize bullets, etc.?

As always, I'm grateful for your input,

MM

I've been using them for over 2 years now for my 45ACP Major loads. Best thing since sliced bread. Previously, I had a lot of setback issues with mixed headstamp brass. I had to sort my brass to make sure certain headstamps were used just for matches. I tried Hornady, RCBS, and Dillon dies, all same results. With the EGW, no sorting by headstamps, no more setback. Life is much better.

Started with a hornady "custom grade" and had set back issues, couldn't figure out what was going on. Went to a lee U Die and never had another problem. I will say that junk brass like Tullammo still fails the case gauge almost everytime even with the U Die. The U die is the way to go!

I don't have any experience with the U die but I thought they can be a little more difficult to use on a progressive press (as they size the case down further than a typical die so they have a smaller opening) and you are working the brass more (not sure that matters to much as most brass is lost before it is overworked).

I don't have any experience with the U die but I thought they can be a little more difficult to use on a progressive press (as they size the case down further than a typical die so they have a smaller opening) and you are working the brass more (not sure that matters to much as most brass is lost before it is overworked).

I worried at first also. However, I have loaded some of my 9MAJOR brass so many times I lost count. With good case lube there is little to no resistance while loading on a 650.

I worried at first also. However, I have loaded some of my 9MAJOR brass so many times I lost count. With good case lube there is little to no resistance while loading on a 650.

How about the progressive press issue, alignment is a little more critical with a U-die than a standard die correct? I suppose if you set-up your press and dies properly it isn't an issue but it is worth noting.

How about the progressive press issue, alignment is a little more critical with a U-die than a standard die correct? I suppose if you set-up your press and dies properly it isn't an issue but it is worth noting.

Take care in aligning dies and the press can run full throttle with no issue.

Take care in aligning dies and the press can run full throttle with no issue.

I consider buying one just to try it but haven't had any issues with my Redding Competition dies so I haven't bothered.

To summarize, the U-die sizes further down the case and sizes the brass between .002" and .003" below SAAMI specifications.