Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New do it all gun

CrashDodson

I have an itch for a new gun. I currently shoot an xdm 5.25 in IDPA/3gun. Looking to travel to some USPSA matches soon as well as still shooting my local IDPA/3gun matches.

I am looking at an STI eagle...could still shoot IDPA esp, in 40 could shoot USPSA limited. I feel I would need to start reloading so I could shoot light 40's for IDPA/3gun. I have read about problems with over-inserting magazines into a slide locked 2011. Since slide lock reloading is a major part of IDPA this worries me. Can anyone comment on this?

I am also looking at a custom CZ shadow sp01 in 9. I could shoot IDPA ESP (cocked) but cant have a magwell. I could shoot USPSA production.

If you have shot both guns I would love to hear your comments on both.

I shoot a 40 Eagle in limited, ESP, and 3 gun. I shoot around 140 PF for IDPA and 3 gun and love it. I've not had any problems with mag over insertion but I'm sure it varies with technique. I change mag wells and springs when going from IDPA to USPSA.

I find myself going in slightly the opposite direction of you. I just got a XDm 5.25 in 9mm for 3 gun so I don't have to worry about the safety being on in the dump barrel.

Keep in mind, when you're at slide lock in IDPA, you're only stuffing a mag with 10 rounds in there. I could see the issue with a full 20 rounds just dying to escape the confines of that tube with the compressed spring, but with only 10, it shouldn't be an issue.

Thats funny. Do you find the eagle is slowing you down or sometimes you just forget to engage the saftey? I could see that as being hard to remember when your on the gas. The XDM has been a good gun but I just like the feel of a 1911. My XDM is a dawson CRP with a springfield custom shop trigger. Im thinking a heavier gun will help with felt recoil and I have this idea (as stupid as it is) that a new gun will magically make me a better shooter. At least I will be shooting with a cooler looking gun, Ha!

If I go with a 40 it opens up the ability to shoot USPSA limited major. The downside is I am already geared up for my xdm with holsters/mags/parts.

I really want to pull the trigger on the IDPA legal infinity and just be done with it, but $4600 and 15 months is discouraging.

Edited by CrashDodson

For me the Eagle is hands down a better shooter. I do slow down to make sure the safety is engaged. And it kinda hurts my feelings to throw my pretty gun in the bucket, especially after I saw a 2lb hunk of steel fall into a bucket with someone's gun in it.

I have an STI Eagle chambered in 40. I use it for both IDPA and USPSA. To deal with the magazine issue and slide lock reloads, I have two slides stops. One is set to not lock back for USPSA. the other stock slide stop is used for IDPA.

I have an STI Eagle chambered in 40. I use it for both IDPA and USPSA. To deal with the magazine issue and slide lock reloads, I have two slides stops. One is set to not lock back for USPSA. the other stock slide stop is used for IDPA.

Are these easy to swap out? Are you using light loads for IDPA?

Are these easy to swap out? Are you using light loads for IDPA?

Incredibly easy to swap out. Just like taking out a slide stop and putting a new one in. I shoot minor power factor loads for IDPA and steel, major for USPSA

Ditto

I have an itch for a new gun. I currently shoot an xdm 5.25 in IDPA/3gun. Looking to travel to some USPSA matches soon as well as still shooting my local IDPA/3gun matches.

I am looking at an STI eagle...could still shoot IDPA esp, in 40 could shoot USPSA limited. I feel I would need to start reloading so I could shoot light 40's for IDPA/3gun. I have read about problems with over-inserting magazines into a slide locked 2011. Since slide lock reloading is a major part of IDPA this worries me. Can anyone comment on this?

I am also looking at a custom CZ shadow sp01 in 9. I could shoot IDPA ESP (cocked) but cant have a magwell. I could shoot USPSA production.

Someone correct me if Im wrong but I was told I can shoot my CZ Shadow Target in SSP starting w/ hammer down....but NOT ESP ( cocked n locked ) because of the dust cover/rail.

I can shoot the CZ in USPSA Production,Limited Minor and Limited 10.

I just got a CZ TS in 9mm to shoot Limited Minor....That gun is sswwweeeeett ! LOL ( I can purchase a 40 slide to shoot major with if I want )

I think your CZ Shadow will be fine..IMHO Unless you just have your heart set on Limited Major.

Someone correct me if Im wrong but I was told I can shoot my CZ Shadow Target in SSP starting w/ hammer down....but NOT ESP ( cocked n locked ) because of the dust cover/rail.

I can shoot the CZ in USPSA Production,Limited Minor and Limited 10.

I just got a CZ TS in 9mm to shoot Limited Minor....That gun is sswwweeeeett ! LOL ( I can purchase a 40 slide to shoot major with if I want )

I think your CZ Shadow will be fine..IMHO Unless you just have your heart set on Limited Major.

I dont think you can shoot the shadow target, because as I understand the target slide has been milled to accept the adjustable site. You can shoot a shadow sp01 in ssp hammer down, and since its ssp legal its ESP legal even with dust cover. You can shoot ESP cocked but you can not modify the gun such as adding a magwell.

Thanks for the clarification CrashDodson ! This is why I'm starting to shoot more USPSA...IDPA's rules and me are not starting to get along. LOL

I agree. I just bought a custom 2011 that will never be IDPA legal. I will just use it for 3 gun and do some traveling for USPSA. There are not local USPSA matches around me :(

Thanks for the clarification CrashDodson ! This is why I'm starting to shoot more USPSA...IDPA's rules and me are not starting to get along. LOL

Is your shadow from the custom shop? How is the trigger? Hopefully I can find one around here to shoot.

Is your shadow from the custom shop? How is the trigger? Hopefully I can find one around here to shoot.

Yes...CZ Custom Shop.....single action is 3 lbs....double action is a smooth/non-stacking 7.5 lbs

My CZ TS has a single action factory pull of 1 lb 10 oz !!! It is swweeeeetttt ! LOL

OK so why isn't a da/sa gun legal with a magwell is esp? You're allowed to change the sights as long as they remain Notch and post....right?? saving the ppc rail....

The way I understand it is the sp01 is legal in ESP, only because its legal in SSP. Since it would be illegal in esp due to the long dust cover (dumb). Since its only allowed in ESP in its SSP legal version, you can not modify it by adding a magwell. I could be wrong on this but this is how I understand the rule.

All firearms legal in SSP are legal for use in ESP. This provision may be used for firearms
that violate an ESP rule (for example, a firearm with a steel dust cover or rail over 3.25”) to still be
used in ESP, provided the firearm meets all SSP requirements.

OK so why isn't a da/sa gun legal with a magwell is esp? You're allowed to change the sights as long as they remain Notch and post....right?? saving the ppc rail....

I shot an ESP-legal CZ 75 Shadow with a magwell in IDPA many times. An SP-01 would not be legal with a magwell due to the full-length dust cover. The magwell would eliminate it from SSP, so it also wouldn't be legal in ESP at that point. In reality, it wouldn't make the weight limit anyway. An SP-01 comes in close to 41.5-42 oz, so adding a magwell would definitely push it over the 43oz limit.

I shot an ESP-legal CZ 75 Shadow with a magwell in IDPA many times. An SP-01 would not be legal with a magwell due to the full-length dust cover. The magwell would eliminate it from SSP, so it also wouldn't be legal in ESP at that point. In reality, it wouldn't make the weight limit anyway. An SP-01 comes in close to 41.5-42 oz, so adding a magwell would definitely push it over the 43oz limit.

Thats how I understand it.

It's his game. If you don't like the rules, don't play the game. And if you decide to not play the game, don't allow yourself to be annoyed by something you don't participate in.

It's not worth the heartburn.

Dawson precision makes a mag release for 2011's that prevents over insertion of the magazine on STI's. I have one on my eagle.

Edited by shotgunone

Full-length dust covers are illegal in ESP unless the gun meets all the criteria for SSP (including weight). This was the issue with the SP-01 in the past, but IDPA upped the SSP weight limit in the last rulebook.

As someone else wrote, the Target model's slide has been cut by the Custom Shop to fit the target sight (IIRC). Because the CZ Custom Shop is not owned by CZ, this means that the modification is not legal for SSP.

Gotta protect that Wilson product, you know...........

There are WC buyers who are dismayed to find that Bill's Game does not allow their superdeluxe bull and flange barrel guns either.

I have not seen enough Wilsons at an IDPA match to fill out a squad at any local or State match, barely enough for a squad at the Nationals.

Not much of a market to protect.