Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo not passing chrono

bret

Never seen it advertised but when you market your ammo to USPSA shooters and ship it to the club where the match is held, a reasonable person would expect it to pass chrono.

How hard is it to get a 124 grain 9mm projectile to make 125 power factor out of a CZ?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What manufactured ammo has any text on their packaging claiming to make major or minor PF for USPSA?

I didn't know that. If the shooter used Atlanta Arms test Glock, he may have a case. :devil:

When you buy ammo from a manufacturer that doesn't pass chrono, what is their responsibility if any?

In what regards do you mean responsibility? If it doesn't make factor I want a refund? Or doesn't make factor I want my scores to count at the match anyway?

Was the ammo from a commercial reloader or a guy selling reloads?

Edited by terrydoc

When you buy ammo from a manufacturer that doesn't pass chrono, what is their responsibility if any?

In what regards do you mean responsibility? If it doesn't make factor I want a refund? Or doesn't make factor I want my scores to count at the match anyway?

Commercial reloader.

On their website they say their 9mm conformably makes minor.

Not sure if they will do anything, a,refund doesn't help much.

Commercial reloader.

On their website they say their 9mm conformably makes minor.

Not sure if they will do anything, a,refund doesn't help much.

What else could they do besides a refund?

Match scores sure cant be changed.

It seems reasonable to talk to them and explain what happened to help them/ the next guy out.

As much as guys want you to call out the manufacturer on here, I wouldn't do it without at least giving them a call first.

Good luck Amigo!

Why would you go to a major match without running your ammo thru a chrono before hand?

Match was in Illinois, guy lives in Florida, had ammo shipped there.

How is he going to chrono ammo?

Take a chrono tof the hotel and test it there?

Once he does chrono it and it fails, what is next, hope he can find done ammo in one of the most anti gun states in the country?

In the future I am sure he will chrono his own ammo and ship it or try to take it with him on the airplane in his checked luggage.

Yes, its tough when you are out of state, etc. But plan ahead. Order some ammo in time to get it and test it before you leave. Then either ship ammo yourself or order another batch (and hope nothing changed) and send it to the match ahead of you.

125 is a low power factor that should easily be met with ammo you buy at wally world.

The problem with trying to buy ammo at the match is, a lot of other shooters may be trying to buy ammo there too, and Illinois has some messed up gun laws, they used to require a FOID card for everyone, now it is only for residents.

Try explaining to the guy behind the counter you don't need an FOID card.

I will take my own ammo with me or ship it, two separate shipments with enough to do the match in each shipment just in case something happens to one of the shipments.

I will take my own ammo with me or ship it, two separate shipments with enough to do the match in each shipment just in case something happens to one of the shipments.

Now that's proactive thinking! Don't leave anything to chance, check everything yourself, and then check again.

(And don't lose focus and forget to bring the gun and mags. Ask me how I know...)

What do you expect done his expenses for the entire match reimbursed? sorry not gonna happen. They really owe him nothing. If your just having your ammo shipped there take your chances and maybe get burned like he did or ship it yourself and chrono it before you ship it or reload it yourself. If shipped directy from manufacturer to the match sounds like it was done to try and be smart and save a few $$ and let them ship it to the match vs paying to get it and then pay to ship it or take it yourself. He gambled and lost and learned an expensive lesson. Alot of the "Competition Ammo" is loaded pretty close to PF so depending on the gun it may or may not make PF.

bret, real simple, you don't wake up the weekend before a major match and decide to go. I plan my shooting 6 months out. So order a couple of boxes several months before, run it across your chrono, and set the floor to at least 135, done. A $ 100 chrono is nothing compared to flight, hotel, meals, rental car, match fees. Did your friend also only bring one gun with him? Everybody knows you have at least 2 guns, and spare parts.

I've also never seen any of these companies "guarentee" that their ammo makes a certain PF .... the responsibility is on the shooter ... for everything they do .... painful lesson but those usually are the best teachers ...

I've also never seen any of these companies "guarentee" that their ammo makes a certain PF .... the responsibility is on the shooter ... for everything they do .... painful lesson but those usually are the best teachers ...

:cheers:

125 is a low power factor that should easily be met with ammo you buy at wally world.

Actually, not quite. Not all factory 9mm is created equal.

For example, Remington UMC "green box" is notoriously on the low end of the power scale; it will quite often go sub-minor if you are shooting a shorter barreled pistol (like a Glock 19 or similar), and can cut it pretty close even with a full size.

To just buy some off-the-shelf ammo and expect it to make PF out of anything is not particularly wise.

Now, if this were ammo of a make and type that previously made PF but didn't on this occasion, then I understand the frustration. I don't chrono every lot of ammo I reload, and wouldn't expect to need to chrono every lot of commercial ammo either. Once I've got a good average, I only periodically recheck, if it all. (But I also don't skirt too close to the edge, either.)

I never said they guarantee it to make power factor.

You asked what there responsibility was,

Must be nice to make a product that on your website says it will make power factor yet when it doesn't , it is the guy's fault that bought it that it didn't chrono, because he didn't test their product before he shot an out of state match.

I know I will never buy their ammo.

Well all this stuff aside, shooting for no score would really suck, sorry it happened amigo.

Thanks but it wasn't me.

I know what I will do to avoid a problem like this if I travel out of state for a match and can't take ammo with me.

If a match calls for 500 rounds I will load 1,000 and chrono it, make sure it passes, and load another 1,000 make sure it passes, both batches will be shipped separately.

That way if one shipment gets lost or delayed, I will have another one.

I don't know if you can take a chrono with you to a match to test it once you are there.

The guy I know that failed chrono learned a lot, he bought an XL 650 and a chrono.

The problem with trying to buy ammo at the match is, a lot of other shooters may be trying to buy ammo there too, and Illinois has some messed up gun laws, they used to require a FOID card for everyone, now it is only for residents.

Try explaining to the guy behind the counter you don't need an FOID card.

He should have planned to drive 5 more minutes west, in to Missouri and bought factory ammo that may or may not have made PF. The manufacturer didn't GUARANTEE it would make power factor, they said it does make power factor. When they tested it in THEIR gun, it did.

Your buddy still got to shoot nationals, can check his scores against everyone that shot for score and figure out where he would have finished. He got to shoot a good match, lots of rounds, and learned a very valuable and expensive lesson.