Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question about shooting in nationals?

tenchu74

each sanctioned club gets activity points for holding sanctioned matchs all year long. Those points turn into slots at the Nationals for the clubs to give out as they please. You could also just become President of USPSA, he gets a number of slots to hand out each year however he wants, and maybe the ADs also get slots? I think when you win an Area Championship you get a slot & maybe one for a State Championship or Section Championship as well ....

Become best buds with your local MD (get involved in match setup, etc) and you might get a slot even if you're not the top gun at your club in the division you want to shoot

I was offered our Club's Production National's slot after the Club's top Production shooter said he would not be able to go after my first year of shooting mainly because I had been helping do match setup all year long ... MDs don't like to turn their slots back in, they want someone to use them .... be warned, it's not a cheap adventure, expect to put out about $1,500 when all is said and done if you want to shoot the Nationals ....

Edited by Nimitz

Nimitz's explanation is a good one. It seems to be handled differently in different areas.

In the Eastern Colorado section, there is a qualifier series that we all have the opportunity to shoot in. The slots are first offered to the folks with the highest average across their best three matches in the qualifier series. If they're not interested, they continue down the list.

I believe the divisions with the highest participation earn more slots to be given out.

Nimitz's explanation is a good one. It seems to be handled differently in different areas.

In the Eastern Colorado section, there is a qualifier series that we all have the opportunity to shoot in. The slots are first offered to the folks with the highest average across their best three matches in the qualifier series. If they're not interested, they continue down the list.

I believe the divisions with the highest participation earn more slots to be given out.

That would be hard for me to handle. I bust my ass to put on one of the best matches in the state month in and month out. Since I earned those slots for my club, I want them. If I can't use them all then I gladly turn them over to the SC for redistribution. Seems to work since most of us shoot at all the other local matches anyway. I don't recall anyone really wanting a slot and not getting one.

How does one get a chance to shoot at USPSA Production Nationals? Do you just sign up on a first come basis and pay the fee or do you have to do a qualify in some manner? Very curious.

The second way is to sign up for the waitlist, and once all the unclaimed slots go back to HQ you have a chance to get in at-large.

The third way is to show up at registration with your gear, USPSA card, and checkbook -- there are always some no shows or late drops that leave open spots in squads.

Bring wine or Bourbon or something similar to Production and SS nationals as a walk on. And the entry fee. I bet they get you a slot.:)

I tried to get a slot but being new, I just did the waitlist thing. Or work it as staff which I have done as well.

How does one get a chance to shoot at USPSA Production Nationals? Do you just sign up on a first come basis and pay the fee or do you have to do a qualify in some manner? Very curious.

The second way is to sign up for the waitlist, and once all the unclaimed slots go back to HQ you have a chance to get in at-large.

As long as it is a stand alone Production Nationals they can handle alot of shooters, this year I had no trouble getting a leftover slot.

Eric

I think the way we do it in the Eastern CO section, as Pat described, is the most equitable way to do it.

MD's awarding slots to their buddies or whoever they feel like seems a little sketchy to me.

why do you think MDs awarding slots to their buddies is what is going on?

Slots were first offered to the top shooters in each division based on match performance & then offered to those in the club who had put in the most sweat equity in putting on matches when the top shooters declined the slots ...

can't imagine a more fair way to do it.

allowing someone who probably couldn't name any of the top shooters at my club to decide who gets the slots my club earned seems inappropriate to me .....

I think the way we do it in the Eastern CO section, as Pat described, is the most equitable way to do it.

MD's awarding slots to their buddies or whoever they feel like seems a little sketchy to me.

why do you think MDs awarding slots to their buddies is what is going on?

Slots were first offered to the top shooters in each division based on match performance & then offered to those in the club who had put in the most sweat equity in putting on matches when the top shooters declined the slots ...

can't imagine a more fair way to do it.

allowing someone who probably couldn't name any of the top shooters at my club to decide who gets the slots my club earned seems inappropriate to me .....

While I wouldn't say that's what's going on 100% of the time, I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.

I have no idea how the USPSA scene is in your neck of the woods. In our section, most all of the clubs are within about a 1.5 hour drive from Denver. The only club further than that is Steamboat. (Not sure why they are even in ECO section rather than the WCO)

Most serious shooters are pretty much hitting up at least three of the qualifier series matches and even most of the club matches.

There is not a "someone" that is deciding who gets slots. Every shooter's best 3 qualifier match finishes are averaged per division and the highest finishers are awarded the slots if they want them. And everyone knows who the top shooters are in the section if you look at the results of every club match that go out to the entire section.

Again, I don't know what the scene is like in your area but a series seems to work well for our section. And I still say it's more equitable than a MD giving slots to those they deem "put in the most sweat equity."

Edited by d_striker

Just so happens nearly all(not all but nearly)the guys I shoot with "in my neck of the woods"are my" buddies". So any way I issue them I'm guilty of that I guess. But none the less I feel I earned the slots by drawing in twice the number of other local matches on a regular basis so I want first dibs on them to do as I please.

I think maybe "club" is used differently around the country as well. I hold my matches at a club I am a member of but it's by no means a USPSA club. Only about 25% of the shooters at my match are actually club members there. So, as a result I crown club champions per say out of the club members that shot all year. In most cases they are not anywhere near the best shooters around here. Some are for sure but not most. I offer my club champions slots but typically only a few want them since they are not interested in shooting bigger matches. This is when I start doing as I please with them. I offer them to my dedicated help who is there whenever and wherever I need them then to other shooters who are not members of my host club. . And no, I don't give slots to myself.

Seems it's the match directors saying they wouldn't want to pool their slots. Have you polled the shooters in your section to see how they feel about it. ;)

Edited for spelling

Edited by PatJones

One of the clubs I shoot at has a year long trophy chase for slots. Shoot the most match points in the year for that Division and you get first crack at an offered slot. If not it goes down to the next placing and so on. You really want the slot for sure, then win the trophy chase. That's good for the winner but if someone wants to go just because they want to go it is difficult.

Didn't this years stand alone Prod Nats at one time say they had over 500 slots for competitors? But only roughly 360 or so actually shot it....

Nobody said anything about "awarding slots to their buddies" Most MDs I know would take offense to that remark.

Nobody said anything about "awarding slots to their buddies" Most MDs I know would take offense to that remark.

Really? See post #13.