Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How To Keep A Diary Or Training Log Book

Camazama

I tried searching through the forums and couldn't find anything, so I'm hoping for some suggestions or for someone to point me to the right direction.

What type of diary or training log do you keep, if any? I would like to start writing down and keeping track of my training sessions, but I'm at a loss as to what I should record. I tried keeping an excel spreadsheet with drill, time, and hits, but that soon became unwieldy and didn't provide the feedback I was looking for. This training is mostly for USPSA.

Any guidance or assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Read Lanny Bassham's book, then blow the $20.00 for one of his journals. That's how I started. Later, I took that mindset and template and started my diary here on this forum.

For me, moving to the forum did two things.

1. Made me write my thoughts out completely instead of making some chicken scratch that even I couldn't read later.

2. Made me much more accountable since someone else might be reading it. I honestly was shocked to find out people were reading it.

Go here to buy the Journal http://mentalmanagement.com/

Get the book "With Winning in Mind" on Amazon.

I have read Lanny Bassham's book "With Winning in Mind." Fantastic book and has completely changed the way I approach competitive shooting and has also spilled over into my personal life. I'll definitely look at his Performance Journal.

I've been thinking about starting a diary here on the forum, but was looking for a more guided approach or scientific (for lack of a better word) method to record my sessions. Besides my scores at matches and my classification, I'd like to know if I am making improvements or not.

Lanny Bassham's Performance Journal arrived today. With the changing of seasons close at hand, I'll be making the switch from 3-gun to USPSA. I have some specific goals in mind and I'm hoping this journal will help.

• 2 months later...

The e book works for me.

As far as keeping track of drills and what not, I use a paper notebook. Write down my plan for the session then record time and points for each drill. I keep notes in there if I try different things, an example would be "push more speed over hits", this gives me something to review when I get back home. I figure hit factors for my drills and see if it was beneficial.

I also keep a performance journal (separate from my range notes).

The e book works for me.

As far as keeping track of drills and what not, I use a paper notebook. Write down my plan for the session then record time and points for each drill. I keep notes in there if I try different things, an example would be "push more speed over hits", this gives me something to review when I get back home. I figure hit factors for my drills and see if it was beneficial.

I also keep a performance journal (separate from my range notes).

Roger that. Some books I've bought in ebook and wished I'd have bought the hard copy versions (BEnos's book, for one) or vice versa.

I'm already logging everything in a moleskine notebook and a 3 ring binder, but you guys do have me wanting to read the book. I can probably get work to buy it for me since it is about goal setting, planning and accountability. :)

Edited by tha1000

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Write down your goals short term long term ones and then break them down into each steps and benchmarks that needs to happen in order to reach your goals. Document the process along the way so you know exactly where you are lacking and need to work harder to get over that one hump. Or you can do like many do just quit and accept the current results.

• 5 weeks later...

I use Steve Anderson's books. There are simple format fill-in's for dryfire and live fire on drills. Can be used for anything you want. But I also journal the numbers and performance to see the documented growth in the other things I do in shooting as well.

I swear I have exceeded my first and second goals in no time due to documenting and measuring in a journal.

For maybe about the first 10 years... I wrote down all the key thoughts I could remember after every practice session and every match. Then I'd re-read them all occasionally to bring back more ideas to work on.

For maybe about the first 10 years... I wrote down all the key thoughts I could remember after every practice session and every match. Then I'd re-read them all occasionally to bring back more ideas to work on.

I really need to do this exact thing. I always think I will remember something because it was so important at that time but I never do. But my other problem is that I get so in the zone while practicing I sometime don't even try to remember important points.

I focus all my attention to just the drills at hand and perform them until I just feel ready to move on. I think about the drill in the beginning reps and then just do them, getting into that type of zone has been becoming more common with me.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk