Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to get into Reloading

ChefGierke

A Dillon Square Deal B is a great loader to start on - highly recommend finding a friend who can walk you through all of the ins and outs - you'll save yourself lots of googling if you just have someone show you everything as opposed to learning by reading and youtube.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading books, internet and watching YouTube worked just fine for me.

Now I'm a reloading monster with a single stage, 550, 1050/MBF/Mark 7 and reloading about 8 calibers. I had zero experience other than a (remote) friend letting me pull the lever a few times on a fully set up 550 loading 44 Mag.

At the Dillon store, an employee walked me through hands-on operation of the 550 and the 650, and entertained my many questions with saintly patience. Brian's competition reloading DVD was helpful. A buddy started reloading before I did and he gave me advice, and of course the guys at the club gave me many helpful hints on common pitfalls, things to make sure I bought, etc.

No shortage of people willing and able to help.

Starting with a progressive is fine as long as you go slowly and very deliberately. Especially if you're ex-military and have had "attention to detail" beaten into you for years.

I started with a Lee Loadmaster at the age of 19 with no help or mentor, not even the internet to run to at 11pm with last minute questions. The Loadmaster was great for getting started because it causes you learn how the press works by making you fix it repeatedly and adjust it often. But I would not recommend one for 9major, too sloppy.

These days I recommend people start with a cheap single stage like the Rock Chucker or Lee Classic/Challenger. After you're comfortable with the process you go buy your progressive press and keep the single stage for odd jobs (you're going to need it anyway, may as well start with it).

I couldn't help but notice no one mentioned an important piece of the puzzle. Once you buy whichever press you decide to use, you're going to have to mount it to something. That something should be a heavy, sturdy workbench or table with no wiggle or play. Make sure your table is set at a comfortable height as well. I do most of my reloading standing, so my table is set up right at belly-button height. During longer sessions, I have a stool that I can sit on/lean against and still load comfortably.

Let him pick out press and equipment first, then he'll know how big of a bench he'll need and what height would be best. One thing at a time, don't make this more difficult than it already is. Don't scare him off! We need more shooters.

One of us! One of us!

youtube is gold! youll find most of the knowledge youre going toneed to assemble your press just not perfect it. I started with a cheap Lee 5 stage progressive and took a few weeks to get it running smooth as glass but now I can crank out 2-300 rounds an hour at a relaxed rate. A good chrono will be needed unless you have a friend you can pester to use it constantly and youll need a good manual. Although you can find the information online its always good to have a hard copy at arms reach. Always be safe and start at the minimum and work you way up slowly is how I do it. Ive been loading for two years about 1000 rounds a month and never had an issue. good luck

Let him pick out press and equipment first, then he'll know how big of a bench he'll need and what height would be best. One thing at a time, don't make this more difficult than it already is. Don't scare him off! We need more shooters.

One of us! One of us!

If 50 different recommendations on presses/powders/accessories doesn't scare him off, I don't think a little tip about having a study table will. And I didn't say anything about size, only that it should stay put while loading. Table size and height is all relative.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys! Just recently got hooked into USPSA. Shooting a 9mm Glock 34 with a Comp. I have NEVER RELOADED ANYTHING. I was told that I need to start in order to be competitive with the 9mm. That I need to load them to MAJOR specs.

Running an Open 9mm Major Glock is a real challenge (springs, comp, load work ups). And it will not live near as long as an STI Open Major 9mm. So since you are brand new to the game, take the comp off your G34 and load minor and run production (where everything is scored minor). To be competitive, all you have to do is to shoot fast and accurate, easy enough, right?. Best way to start reloading is get one of the local USPSA hosers to setup your press, and then don't monkey with anything. You can read all the manuals and watch all the videos, but at some point you have to go hands on. And everyone has their favorite bullet and powder, but always use the powder manufacturer's load data to start. Your only real decision is which Dillon press do you want? You can buy it here on Benos. They are all good, the 650 and 1050 being faster and more expensive, especially a 1050 with bullet feeder. Personally I have running an old 550 since when they first came out, and picked up a SD 15 years ago as product. I don't feel out gunned with the slower presses. I inspect every case on the way in, slower, but nothing like jamming up a 1050 in mid run. You don't need to take up very much space for a loader either, I only have one little corner of the laundry room. You will need a scale, tumbler and calipers. $20 Gemini digital, Frankford Arsenal tumbler, about $40, and I have a used Helios dial caliper, about $30 on ebay.

Good luck finding powder and primers, the panic has started again..... You might convince a local hoser to sell you some to get going.

image37165.jpg

Edited by 9x45

Thanks yellowfin!

First glitch I had was the spent primer chute suddenly directing spent primers all over creation. The chute was staying in the open position. I found this Dillon web page, which led me to fuss with the little pin, after which the chute started to open and close freely again. There must be a better pin one could use.

Yes, cut a primer tube retaining pin or small paper clip and curl the ends over. Works better than that little tiny cotter pin. Make sure your radius bends clear the width of the chute.

image37166.jpg

Edited by 9x45

I started on a 550 and had zero issues learning how to reload. I would not waste money on the SD. I actually wish I had gotten the 650. But, I am happy with the 550. Then again, that is only my opinion.