Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How important is good vision?

Wesquire

Not sure which forum this should be placed in. Anyways, I got LASIK yesterday and my vision has already gone from 20/500+ to 20/10 in my left eye and 20/20 in my right eye. Doctor expects both eyes to end up around 20/10. Obviously this is a huge improvement. I have been wearing contacts, and my vision with those was around 20/25. So, if these are correct...targets at 25 yards will now be as clear as targets that were 10 yards away before my surgery. Other than being able to see the bullet holes better, has anyone that has had a similar vision improvement noticed any advantage in the sport?

I had Lasik back in 1999, and like you, noticed a HUGE difference in my eyesight. Unfortunately, 16 years later, my eyes have fallen victim to getting "older." I started noticing a sharp drop in visual acuity about 18 months ago....when I really started getting heavy into 3-gun. Obviously, that's not a good situation, so I got myself into contacts (again.) Since then, I feel that my performance in shooting sports has dramatically improved. It's easier to see those c-zones hiding along the treeline at 300 yards, easier to pick up flying clays, faster to see my 2011 front sight during strings, etc. etc.

Same situation for me. I have reading glasses and some shooting prescription glasses. Makes that front sight a lot easier to see.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Same situation for me. I have reading glasses and some shooting prescription glasses. Makes that front sight a lot easier to see.

what are your sight issues?

how are your Rx shooting glasses set up

I've been doing alot of research. optometry appt. next wed.

I was near sighted and had PRK done in 2004 by the military. About 2 years ago I started having some problems seeing small stuff up close. I have a slight prescription for reading and I tested shooting with them one day and the front sight was nice and sharp. So I had a pair of lens installed in a pair of Wiley X glasses. I used a red tint because it made the fiber optic stand out.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bring back an old thread but I am 38 and this year I have noticed my vision getting blurry. It takes a while to get my eyes focused on targets at any distance. Racing RC cars is a hobby I have and seeing the car across a large track is hard now.

About three or four years ago my eyes developed floaters and they have gotten worse. Eye doc said nothing could be done for them but shooting indoor IDPA with those lights is torture. Monday I have an eye doctors appointment and am so ready to get glasses or contacts! Hopefully it will help my shooting to see better again.

There is an excellent article in the NRA's competition shooting web magazine... ssusa.org... dealing with vision issues.. "The Right Rx For Aging Eyes". I think it's also linked at Ammoland.

It was done with a Doctor of Optometry and has some good info of corrective lenses.

I had the PRK surgery 10 years ago and apparently my eyes changed. They were corrected to 20/15 but when I had them checked a year ago, they were more like 20/40. Wearing contacts correcting my eyes to 20/20 has definitely made a difference in shooting.