Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Sub Forum in Multigun? - - - The 3 Gun Pistol...

Kurt, doing great. Finally getting back to shooting. Hopped on to see if I could get some stages/round counts for the pro-am so I could start figuring out what I needed to bring.

I haven't shot a real 3gun match in a year, and only a handful of 1/3rd gun matches. So my opinion may not count, but I think a new forum is wholly unnecessary. And I'm the guy with several custom 2011s built specifically for 3gun.

There is plenty of pistol information in the forum already.

Bryan, you don't buy 2011,s you have folks give them to you. I thought you know that.

Man, I'm hanging out with the wrong group of friends I guess. All I get out of them are smiles, laughs, great stories, and occasionally the free beer.

No. wait- I'd take my group of friends and the good times with them over a free 2011 anyway....

SInce most of the pistols I've seen at matches fit into the Limited and Production categories of USPSA, I don't know if a special sub-forum is necessary. Especially since everyone who talks about a pistol, and shoots 3Gun usually adds that they use the pistol for 3Gun as a footnote. Since the precision shooting element is somewhat reduced in 3Gun (whole target hits vs scoring zones), there are some features that are more or less important on a platform (caliber/major vs minor, sights type, holster retention, grips/stippling, capacity, etc...). OK... maybe some day...

There's nothing wrong with having a 3 gun pistol specific link in the forum, and it would be helpful for new shooters with specific equipment questions. Sure, they could ask them in in the Technical Forum, but better, quicker and more specific answers could be found here in this forum if there where a pistol section. Also this sub-forum would act as a repository for 3 gun specific pistol questions that would get quickly lost in the 1911 & Factory Pistol sub forums in the Technical Forum. A 3 Gun Pistol sub-forum hurts no one, has the potential to help new shooters and gets in the way of nothing. It's a good idea.

WTF......I shoot 40 major in 3-gun. Out of the same pistol that I use for limited major in 1/3 gun matches. I think you are swinging a wide loop there comonchero.

See Kurt, had there been a pistol sub-forum you would have learned years ago that you could load 40 minor, or shoot a nine, in 3 gun. Knowledge is power!

I'm pretty sure I knew all that stuff years ago, like rapidly approaching 25 years of 3-gunning. As you say knowledge is power....major 40 knocks down any and all steel real well, it doesn't drop much making 100 yard C zone hits easy, where a minor 40 does. The driving of the gun under major power factor recoil is what I am used to and shooting a 9mm makes you weak. See I didn't need a forum sub section to know any of this, nor do I believe much of the info I get on any inter-web based chatter.

The problem is you don't know who is giving you info. The professed "expert" might not even own a pistol and is just typing to make himself feel important. I know a guy who reloaded only one batch of ammo, and with that ammo blew up a brand new CTR-02 J.P. rifle. He never reloaded another round. This was 4 years ago, and I see him give reloading advice here and there.....So yeah I guess we need another sub forum.

Kurt, I was just poking fun. :) My first 3 gun was at the Interlake Rod and Gun Club in Renton, WA way back in 1985. While you and I may have been doing this forever there are many who are just starting out and one of the most amazing things about the internet is how it allows new shooters (or anyone new to any activity) to access the experience of those experts who wish to share it. You are correct that you don't need a pistol sub-forum, but honestly, you don't need any of these forums, if anything, the forums need you, and your experience gained in your 25 years of competition.

As for the "professed expert" on the internet, all forums have this problem. However, the more specific the forum, the easier it is to see who the true experts are. Try to learn about 3 gun on AR15com or The High Road or any other general firearms forum and caveat emptor, but spend an hour reading here and it becomes pretty apparent who the knowledgable members are. Is a Pistol sub-forum needed? No, but it would be helpful to a lot of people and I don't think adding it would effect anything or anyone in a negative manner. Just my two cents, earned over the last 30 years or so.

Edited by T Bacus

I'm pretty sure I knew all that stuff years ago, like rapidly approaching 25 years of 3-gunning. As you say knowledge is power....major 40 knocks down any and all steel real well, it doesn't drop much making 100 yard C zone hits easy, where a minor 40 does. The driving of the gun under major power factor recoil is what I am used to and shooting a 9mm makes you weak. See I didn't need a forum sub section to know any of this, nor do I believe much of the info I get on any inter-web based chatter.

I shoot 357-Sig for the same reasons.

No it can all be discussed in a 3 Gun pistol subforum, like the rifle and shotgun technical subforums that are here which aren't broken into sub-divisions of the multigun flavors

Edited by Moltke

Looks like there's already some topics to be discussed in a 3 gun pistol subforum... Hmmm....

And those topics have a home -- in the current pistol forums. Sorry -- we're not going to dilute the handgun info further, than separating it out as we have it separated so far......

I like the idea of a 3-gun pistol sub-forum, personally. The reason is that I haven't shot much USPSA, so trying to delve through all the limited major info to determine what is relevant to me is tough.

Here's my advice on a 3 gun rifle/shotgun

Make sure it's reliable.

Make sure it's accurate enough to hit a 5" plate at 30 yards

Make sure it's reliable.

Bushmaster/Colt/Stag/Benelli/Beretta/Remington/POF, etc doesn't matter much if you can shoot it well. There is nothing sexy required of a 3 gun rifle/shotgun. Spend the money on practice (ammo) instead of the gun. Use what you have, don't chase performance by spending more money on go-fast gadgets.

Fixed it for ya. It's a good thing we have rifle & shotgun sub-forums..... :devil:

Of course we could always move the Clays forum down here, and rename the Multi-gun section for "Non-pistol shooting sports....." :devil::devil:

Why not just repurpose the steyr subforum since they haven't had a post there since March 2014. I'm sure we could generate much more activity even if it is multiple petty arguments about caliber, barrel length, which sights and who's grip tape to use.

Ken,

here's the question you'd need to be able to answer -- from the last time we discussed this in the admin forum, when this idea got no traction:

What is different about 3-gun pistols from USPSA and IDPA and any other sort of pistols that are discussed on the main forums? All the 3-Gun rule sets use USPSA safety and magazine length rules to begin with.

If you're going to tell me that it's all about making a minor gun run -- I'm going to ask you about action type. If you say 2011 -- we've got a forum for those......

If the question's about ammo -- we've got a nice reloading section; it's even broken down by caliber.....

If you want to ask about specific manufacturer's guns, such as CZ or Glock -- again we got you covered......

Open guns -- got a forum for those.....

This idea won't get any traction, unless you guys invent another whole action type and get manufacturers to start making blasters, only for multi-gun. And even then, the moment one of those gets made for other shooting sports -- we'll probably move the forum for that new action type up with the rest of the pistol forums.....

In other words, you can't just look at the impact of your little corner of the forum, but you have to step back to look at the bigger picture. How would the creation of a subforum benefit the forum as a whole, and how would it benefit it enough to offset the cost of looking in two separate forums for the answer to a handgun forum....

It's highly unlikely that you'll convince us -- we've been doing this for a little while. But if you come up with a truly unique idea, that adds value, we'll consider it.....

Our little corner of the benoverse may be all that us Three gunners are interested in, but don't Kidd yourself. This is a forum for the pistol competitors, and all the rest of us are just fortunate that they have allowed us this little corner. Any actions that may step on the toes of the larger far more influential group of users will certainly be poorly recieved.

Yep.

I have no problem, but shooting 3gun, it would be nice to see a pistol forum where I do not have to translate into minor or major or what fits in a box. I have never shot pistol in idpa or uspda and maybe that is my next learning point. Like action pistol though.

I really don't care which way this goes. But I can't think of anything we 3 gunners would discuss that isn't already being discussed in greater detail by more knowledgeable people in the "upper forums". Let's face it guys, we're not exactly the tip of the spear when it comes to pistols, and that goes for software and hardware. Probably because we have to split our training time and funds 3 ways while the USPSA guy is beating on just one platform. I don't think we can bring anything substantial to a 3 gun only pistol forum, because the limited guys are already doing a good job of paving the way for us. The only thing I can think of that's different is abandonment, and we can probably live without a new subforum to discuss that.

Edited by TonytheTiger

Our little corner of the benoverse may be all that us Three gunners are interested in, but don't Kidd yourself. This is a forum for the pistol competitors, and all the rest of us are just fortunate that they have allowed us this little corner. Any actions that may step on the toes of the larger far more influential group of users will certainly be poorly recieved.

Yep.

I wouldn't go quite that far......

....and certainly didn't want to give you guys that impression. I think we can all learn from each other. While I'm primarily a pistol shooter, in Production, I've dabbled in various forms of 3 gun and Multi-gun, though at the local or state match level.

We're glad you guys are here, because you're part of our community. That said -- is it possible that if new shotgun and/or rifle sports came into existence that the forum could be rearranged to incorporate those? Sure -- assuming that there were logical reasons to rearrange things that would be to the benefit of the entire community.....

When this place started there were a minuscule number of forums -- around 10-12. Sub-forum? What's that -- it didn't exist initially.......

And this decision isn't about one group of users versus another -- it's really based for us on the belief that if the information gets spread too thinly around the board, we're all the poorer for it, because it becomes harder to find the info you're looking for.

Anyway -- please voice your ideas as they come up. If it's something new, or if there's a new and compelling reason, we'll be happy to consider implementing it.