Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lefty - Consistent Groups 2 inches to the right. Trigger finger or Eye

shinne

I'm trying to figure out what the issue is. When I dry fire see minimum sight movement but when I go to the range i'm always off by two inches of my sights. I was shooting 7 yards and made a big hole but it was 2 inches off the center. Just for fun I decided to move my sights 2 inches to the left and I was hitting the center. I know my gun is sighted in correctly because I recently had new sights installed with a test target paper and a friend shoot it.

I've tried different pads of my trigger finger and it only increases how far right it goes. I know where I press the trigger in right now is the sweet spot for me. I also press into the frame with my support thumb to mininize any kind of drift to the right my gun is shooting. I'm wondering if it's just my eye sight and I should adjust the sights or I should just work on figuring out the trigger press. The trigger press seems like a harder issue to fix as it would take a lot of practice to consistly memorize how to press the trigger correctly. What are your takes on this?

I decided to move my sights 2 inches to the left and I was hitting the center.

Sorry, really not sure what the problem is ... your corrected the sights,

and you're now hitting the center of the target ... sounds like you corrected

the problem. :bow:

I have to go along with Steve (above) - but I'd back up to 15 yards and

try it - if you're hitting the center of the target at 15 yards, I'd say you're

good to go. :cheers:

I moved my sights 2 inches to the left and I was hitting the center.

+1 with Steve - I'd move back to 15 yards, and if you're still hitting the center

of the target, you're good to go. :cheers: (Sorry, duplicate).

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

Sorry I didn't explain it correctly. I didn't move my sights. I moved the sights over the target two inches to the left. I was hitting center when I held the sights two inches over to the left.

Edited by shinne

Thanks, I'm wondering if my eyes are messed up or something. My friends and the target test show it's on target but I cant seem to hit center. I'm going to do a bench test to see if this is true.

Here's a great way to tell if you're pushing the gun...set up at 15 yards on a paper target. Hold the gun up in the firing position with a good sight picture, but let someone else pull the trigger. I did this exercise recently and it was really good at removing "it's the gun" from the excuse book. Then you can get on to fixing you.

That said, the gun might just be off. Was the test paper shot with the same ammo you use? Different ammo will have different POI in some cases.

if on very slow deliberate shots you are closer to to center but on faster shots are consistently off (but still within A zone)

do you correct sight for deliberate slow or shoots a quick pace

Have a better shooter shoot a group. If it hits to point of aim for them, you need to work on your shooting.

You're unlikely to have enough windage adjustment to correct 2" at 7 yards, that is a lot.

If you do drift the sights, you'll need to move them back as your skills improve, what if that's during a match?

Edited by PatJones

Your improvements will likely not happen in the middle of a match. It will be in practice for sure. Move the sights to your zero and like was said when you improve adjust the sights to stay at YOUR zero. Good luck.. I've known of some of the best shooters in out sport guns just about take out the Chrono, the sights were so off from zero, but it was what worked for them.

Edited by a matt

Thanks, I'm wondering if my eyes are messed up or something. My friends and the target test show it's on target but I cant seem to hit center. I'm going to do a bench test to see if this is true.

You can try closing the non dominate eye, otherwise, it is just geometry.

Many right handed people, myself included, will tend to hit to the right when required to shoot with only the left hand. It is all about trigger control and learning to really know where that sight is when you drop the hammer, our vision does not change but all of the sudden we have lost that solid grip and straight back trigger motion we have worked on and now it is apparent that we are not really watching the sight as well as we thought we were.

You will fix what is going on with your shooting (lots of good books and dvd's out there for reference on the fundamentals and maybe you have somebody close to work with you one on one) , and then find something else that you want to work on :) , it is a process. I'd be curious to see what your grip looks like and how tightly you grip with your weak hand.