Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I have a crown where the tooth has now cracked and the dentist doesn't expect that it can be saved. It is an upper tooth near the front (bicuspid?) Options for replacement are a bridge, partial, or implant.

I've had a fair amount of work done over the years because I did a poor job of cleaning when younger, then had a long fight with gum problems due largely to hyperplasia (gums overgrowing as a result of a medication I was taking).

As a result, the teeth on either side have had work done on them and a bridge may or may not be possible, but isn't advised. The dentist is recommending an implant but the cost is pretty steep.

Anyone been through this and have thoughts one way or the other?

+1 to Hi-Power Jack-I'm in the process of getting one for one of my front teeth right now. It's been a long (and costly) process, but I won't have to take a bridge out for the rest of my life, and that is worth a lot in my book.

at age 65, I don't need it to last a long time :goof:

I'm 70, you young whippersnapper. :sick:

At 65, your average life expectancy is probably around 20+ more years.

And, it's NOT about longevity, it's about comfort.

The implant is NOT a bridge, it's a tooth. Brush it and forget it.

You can even eat apples and sirloin steak. :bow: :bow:

When a tooth is extracted the bone that supports that tooth will be adsorbed. One of the biggest benefits to an implant placement is that this bone can be preserved and a visible dip in the gum line avoided. Depending on the situation with the surrounding teeth a bridge might solve the problem with the missing tooth and help restore problems with adjacent teeth for less money than the implant.

The situation that you have is unique to you. To get the best answer for what you should do, find a dentist you trust or get a second opinion.

+1 to Hi-Power Jack-I'm in the process of getting one for one of my front teeth right now. It's been a long (and costly) process, but I won't have to take a bridge out for the rest of my life, and that is worth a lot in my book.

Bridges are permanent -- they don't come out. Essentially they cap a tooth, or two teeth on either side of the gap -- depending on how long the bridge needs to be , and then build what essentially look like individual teeth, but in reality are one long unit that's cemented in place. You won't be able to floss between them, but other than that, they're normal crowns. If that remains an option it's the least invasive/most effective option.

The things that come out are partial plates/partial dentures -- while they're even less invasive than a bridge, they're also much more of a hassle, in terms of something foreign feeling in your mouth.....

Implants are most invasive, and can be just like natural teeth, though they may require ongoing maintenance form the dentist. On the other hand, when they go bad, the stories can be pretty horrendous.....

There might be one more option depending on where/how the tooth is cracked -- and that's a gold post and crown. If the tooth is cracked horizontally -- parallel to the gum line -- and the root's in good shape, it may be possible to cement a gold post into the root canal, and attach a crown to the post. I've had a couple of those since the 80s.....

Also shop around and definitely check for reviews on who you're going to use to get the work done. Some are much better than others and you can have all sorts of complications/hassles if your guy doesn't do a good job.

+1 to Hi-Power Jack-I'm in the process of getting one

There might be one more option depending on where/how the tooth is cracked -- and that's a gold post and crown. If the tooth is cracked horizontally -- parallel to the gum line -- and the root's in good shape, it may be possible to cement a gold post into the root canal, and attach a crown to the post.

Uh oh, I made a goof. :blush:

My mistake - I got a gold post and crown 50 years ago, not an implant (sorry, thought they were the same thing). :ph34r:

Dentist did a root canal job, and then put a post in - put a crown on that - not too invasive, not too

expensive, and has done a GREAT job for me.

Sorry I inadvertently misled you - not an implant, but a gold post/crown. :cheers:

Check around, all dentists don't charge the same.

This seems to be rather more complicated than comparing prices between Walmart and Target. It's tough to get a "price list" from a dentist office without being seen. But I am trying.

Just out of curiosity, if anyone has had an implant done recently, could you tell me the cost? Feel free to PM me if you want.

If it didn't take several trips to get this done, I'd be tempted to fly to Mexico and stay with friends for a week. Dental work where they live is good and about 1/3 of what it costs here.

My implant was done 7 years ago. Cost 1300 after the damn insurance wouldn't cover it. Injury happened in July and the dead tooth because of it didnt materialize until December.....Merry Christmas to me. Tooth was extracted and denatured cow bone put in the hole. 3-4 months to heal up then the stud and tooth was put in. No problems at all here but follow the instructions about keeping your mouth clean when the bone is healing up. If you smoke or chew you will most likely have complications with it healing quickly. Teeth issues suck, but you have to do it.....

DougC

What's difficult about pricing this is all the individual pieces and how that effects things.

--CT scan of the entire jaw

--Extract the old tooth

--Build up the bone

--Implant the stud

--Attach the abutment

--Add the crown

Each step may require several visits and the parts are expensive. From start to finish can take several months and end up costing in the neighborhood of $6000.

Trying to get a cost from another dentist requires being able to ask the right questions. Assuming they will even tell you a price without an actual visit.

Edited by Graham Smith

Doing it now and it is expensive. Implant was about $1,200 and the crown $2,000. I think I could have gotten the crown cheaper if I had shopped around but I've been going to the same dentist for 25 years and figured it was worth it to just keep all my records in the same place.