Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hogue Chamber Release - N Frame 625

6brbb

I would like people opinion on what length of Hogue Chamber Release to fit to a S&W 625. The two models Hogue makes being Short and Long. This will be for a IPSC setup with bobbed hammer.

My initial though is to go with the long, but would like people's opinion.

Thanks

The trend that I have seen is those with larger hands like the short latch and those with smaller hands prefer the long. I have small hands and run the long version.

Edited by Gregg K

Oddly, I have large hands but ordered the large version which feels quite nice.

I don't need to shift my grip to open the cylinder which makes the large version quite comfortable to use.

Note that the Hogue part will expose part of the frame that was rubbed and abraded by the factory part, so some refinishing my be required.

I have small hands and prefer the short. It felt like a long and awkward move to get to the release from my natural shooting grip with the long one.

I bought both and sold the long after a very brief evaluation.

Agree it varies from person to person, but isn't always intuitive.

If it helps, I'm also running the round back, hogue rubber monogrips grips with my N frames.

I have medium hands and use the short. I also reload strong hand so keeping my strong hand grip in place is less important.

If you reload weak / left handed I could see a benefit to a long unless you have larger than average hands in which case you can probably still hit a short release without shifting your grip.

Your thumb is in front of the release while you're shooting. With the long one you need to move your thumb further. I would think the fastest one is the shortest one you can reach.

I use an SDM. It isn't extended, but I use a FBI reload and pull the revolver into my thumb as I push the cylinder open with my weak hand.

I tried some and still like the factory release, But I switch hands and reload with the strong hand most of the time. I practice and will depending on the COF do a weak hand reload and still don't feel it made a significant difference. But try somebody's if you can. Or get both and play with them.

They are made out of Acetal (same as Delrin they tell me)

Plastic on a revo I know, but these have stood up a few years on my 610 major gun

and all my 627's that I use for steel, which one or two I now use for USPSA.

I broke a yoke on my 627 but not my cylinder release :roflol:

AFA a thumb rest, I always thin out my grips and create a dished out area for my

thumb to go, have to check where my off thumb goes tomoorow ?

I did have a bud I setup with one who was banging his knuckle so I added that half

moon cut to the bottom, never did it to me in minor or major so I leave the extra

checkering there for me, he has a crazy high grip and meaty hands too.

You want wide !! Check the attached pics, I don't want to go much wider.

Even put access to the hammer lock if you want that sort of thing.

I don't want to hi-jack this thread so if you or anyone else have any more questions

feel free to pm me.

DaveP

post-3-0-12720400-1438384957_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-07153200-1438384970_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-21075700-1438384977_thumb.jpg