Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you protect your choke shooting Irons/Factory/Limited?

Moltke

Sooner or later I'm going to destroy my choke by dumping my 8rd tube shotgun into a barrel. Should I get a choke flush with the barrel or is there some kind of extension I can use on the magazine tube to take the impact? What are you other Irons/Factory/Limited shooters doing?

I would rather ding up and replace an extended choke instead of dinging up the leading threads of the muzzle with a flush mount choke.

That said, I use extended Brileys and repeated harpooning into the dump barrel hasn't caused any noticeable damage.

Sooner or later I'm going to destroy my choke by dumping my 8rd tube shotgun into a barrel. Should I get a choke flush with the barrel or is there some kind of extension I can use on the magazine tube to take the impact? What are you other Irons/Factory/Limited shooters doing?

Easier and cheaper to replace an (extended) choke tube than a barrel...not that I have ever dinged up a choke beyond safe use anyway...

All these answers are quaint. Since 96 my extended choke has been abused, dropped, banged on props, ditched, spiked, jamed, etc. Because I run a short tube, it has been the first point of contact........I still don't need a new choke, but please make up some kind of protector for the choke tube in your gun......you will sell a million of them.......or not ;)

Edited by kurtm

I am surprised to hear that I'm the only one who's experienced this happening. Before I bought a 12rd tube I ran an 8rd tube and split a briley extended choke dumping it in a barrel. They replaced it immediately but I just don't want it to happen again. I would rather have the mag tube take the impact than the muzzle OR choke but if there's no ready solution than I'll figure it out. Thanks everyone.

+2 extension from Nordic costs so much less than anything else. I have not run a flush fit tube, so I am not sure what kind of damage I have had so far, but it seems like something that would make the loading easier if you are attending matches that limit the tube capacity to 8 rounds only.

MTGlass, I showed up with one and they bumped me to open :( . It busts doorknobs great though!

85008-benelli-crio-plus-tactical-breeche

:huh: I'm missing the rational behind bumping you into open, but then again I can't quote chapter & verse from any one rule book.

MTGlass, I showed up with one and they bumped me to open :( . It busts doorknobs great though!

85008-benelli-crio-plus-tactical-breeche

:huh: I'm missing the rational behind bumping you into open, but then again I can't quote chapter & verse from any one rule book.

It's ported.

:blush: ...of course. Thanks!

I actually had my 590 threaded for choke tubes, and then proceeded to purchase all extended tubes. Those of you that know me know that I am harder on my equipment than most, and I have actually had that particular shotgun go choke first into concrete a couple of times, as well as being sucked into a bunch of dump barrels. The only problem I have ever had was one of the concrete Adventures left the leading edge of the choke dent in, about like you would a cardboard tube. For grins I pounded it back to round with a piece of bar stock and a hammer, and it still threads in just fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I am surprised to hear that I'm the only one who's experienced this happening. Before I bought a 12rd tube I ran an 8rd tube and split a briley extended choke dumping it in a barrel. They replaced it immediately but I just don't want it to happen again. I would rather have the mag tube take the impact than the muzzle OR choke but if there's no ready solution than I'll figure it out. Thanks everyone.

Brileys are made for clay shooters who rest their chokes on their toes. Get some Carlsons extended. Tougher, cheaper too.