Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

It's that time AGAIN

chetc

I'm using Blue at the moment. ACME coated is getting some good word of mouth, and I'll likely try that soon. If you go with Blue Bullets, I'd recommend ordering the .358.

Curious why you say that? I tried them that size (ordered accidentally) and had difficulty making them work. My issues were more related to OAL as I load short for a CZ. I never had any trouble with them sized 355.

I've used blue bullets and S&S. They both work fine. I have some Leatherheads to try next. As mentioned above, they all work fine.

I've tried BBI, Blue, Ibejihead, and I'm going to try Leatherhead's next. I MUCH prefer the Hi-Tek type coating that BBI/Leatherhead and Ibejihead use. The Blue bullets worked great for me, but the coating rubs off a little bit and left a lot of black residue on my hands/fingers after handling them. The BBI profile didn't like my specific gun, but overall it's a good bullet. I just wish they would make a 125gr RN. So far Ibejihead is the best coated I've tried, they are very clean to handle and load just fine.

Since I load the 300blk Leatherhead's I'll probably switch to them for 9mm as well, and just order everything at once. While I can't speak about their 9mm, the 300blk rounds are excellent quality, very uniform, and the coating is great. I would definitely check them out. All of mine were ordered as .356 BTW.

Edited by polizei1

I'm using Blue at the moment. ACME coated is getting some good word of mouth, and I'll likely try that soon. If you go with Blue Bullets, I'd recommend ordering the .358.

Curious why you say that? I tried them that size (ordered accidentally) and had difficulty making them work. My issues were more related to OAL as I load short for a CZ. I never had any trouble with them sized 355.

I've used blue bullets and S&S. They both work fine. I have some Leatherheads to try next. As mentioned above, they all work fine.

.355 is the proper diameter for jacketed, and maybe even .356 with some barrels. Lead should be at least .356. It seems a lot of (some would suggest that most) 9mm barrels actually benefit from .357, and some even .358. If you're making your own bullets or buying from someone who will make them to whatever size you want, the best option is to slug your barrel, see exactly what size you need, and go from there. But if that's not an option, and you're choosing between .355 and .358, you're typically better off with bigger than perfect than you would be with the smaller than perfect. If it's smaller than perfect, and .355 for lead or coated almost certainly is, you run the risk of gas-cutting and leading, both of which you don't want. I haven't run into leading yet with the .355 Blues, but, while I'm getting good accuracy, I'm not getting great accuracy, and I'll bet going bigger will fix the problem. In general, .355 is not what you want for lead or coated.

As to having to load shorter than you want, if it's the 147gr bullets, that's a legit issue, as those load so deep with a CZ that if you were forced to go shorter, you might pass the mechanical limit on seating depth. With the 125s, though, it's not an issue at all. Load as short as you need to and work up a load.

Bayou uses the Hi-Tech coating also. Very good to deal with and quality control is first rate as well. Color of the coating has changed some but performance has not over 5K rounds that I've fired of that bullet and the barrel cleans up really nice too. Haven't bought any BBI since their coating change, but expect the same performance.

Supposedly Missouri Bullets has gone to the Hi-Tech coating as well. I tried some of their early uncoated bullets and the bullets were too hard for the pressures I was running and they leaded very badly in my barrel. Their website said it would cost another $13 to get a special run made of softer .40 bullets, but the owner emailed me and said that wasn't correct and he would be happy to make a special run of softer bullets for no extra charge. He seems honest and trying to work with the customer.

I had already ordered from Bayou and BBI, so I never got back to him. But I'll order from him again because I think he's a good guy.

Edited by jmbaccolyte

.355 is the proper diameter for jacketed, and maybe even .356 with some barrels. Lead should be at least .356. It seems a lot of (some would suggest that most) 9mm barrels actually benefit from .357, and some even .358. If you're making your own bullets or buying from someone who will make them to whatever size you want, the best option is to slug your barrel, see exactly what size you need, and go from there. But if that's not an option, and you're choosing between .355 and .358, you're typically better off with bigger than perfect than you would be with the smaller than perfect. If it's smaller than perfect, and .355 for lead or coated almost certainly is, you run the risk of gas-cutting and leading, both of which you don't want. I haven't run into leading yet with the .355 Blues, but, while I'm getting good accuracy, I'm not getting great accuracy, and I'll bet going bigger will fix the problem. In general, .355 is not what you want for lead or coated.

As to having to load shorter than you want, if it's the 147gr bullets, that's a legit issue, as those load so deep with a CZ that if you were forced to go shorter, you might pass the mechanical limit on seating depth. With the 125s, though, it's not an issue at all. Load as short as you need to and work up a load.

In my case I was using the 125s in both diameters. what I found is the larger diameter resulted in an unacceptable % that failed both a case gauge and plunk test when loaded to the same oal.

I agree with your statements about diameter, but in my opinion it is more applicable to plain hard cast lead than to the coated lead. I haven't seen any appreciable leading with either blue bullets or S&S hi-tek coated.

I've been using precision bullets for CZ and they worked fine .$210 for 3k shipped seemed good deal .However I'm getting significant leading from them in my X-calibur .Extreme bullets solved that problem but they about $50 more on 3k package .AAAND since I'm cheap bastard,wanna find "inexpensive" coated bullet replacement.How are Acme bullets ?

I've been using precision bullets for CZ and they worked fine .$210 for 3k shipped seemed good deal .However I'm getting significant leading from them in my X-calibur .Extreme bullets solved that problem but they about $50 more on 3k package .AAAND since I'm cheap bastard,wanna find "inexpensive" coated bullet replacement.How are Acme bullets ?

Acme bullets are very nice, but so are every hi-tek coated bullet I have tried. Their coating is very uniform, but the performance is no better or worse than bayou, SNS, blue bullets, Ibejihead, Missouri, lucky13 coated, or any other coated bullet I have tried. I have shot their 9, 40, and 45 cal coated bullets and they work well, but don't do anything special. I say pick your favorite color, profile, or best price and go with it. They all work well.

I'll always throw in a good word for Rocky Mountain Reloading. They are within a couple bucks of Bayou, Missouri and Other high-tec coated bullets. However, they offer free shipping so they are actually cheaper. There bullets are plated and are the best that I've shot in that price range. Plus, they usually ship the same day you order and arrive a couple days later.

Currently, blackandbluebullets is the absolute cheapest coated when purchased in bulk with the 10% discount.

They are indistinguishable from Bayou.

It looks like BB&B raised their prices. Tony was right around $64 per k for 147gr NLG 9mm in bulk with discount and now they are at $69 per k. 135gr went up too, looks like about $5 per k as well. SNS casting is the same price for 147s if you order by the case and in bulk for the 10% discount.

Just did a comparison of 1K Hi-Tek coated 147gr; Acme is $84.90 and BB&B is $94.60, both include shipping.

ENOS10 discount included in the Acme price above.

Compared Acme to Bayou and Acme was cheaper a few days ago.

Just did a comparison of 1K Hi-Tek coated 147gr; Acme is $84.90 and BB&B is $94.60, both include shipping.

ENOS10 discount included in the Acme price above.

Compared Acme to Bayou and Acme was cheaper a few days ago.

It's not really a fair comparison if you aren't comparing the best possible values. BB&B bulk pack of 147 is $218.80, after 10% discount for volume it is $196.92 for 2850 bullets. This works out to $69 per 1k, shipping included.

I priced them at Acme in bulk and the total worked out to $692 shipped for 10k bullets, so also $69 per 1k.

Also, at SNS casting 3100 bullets runs $242, -10% works out to $70 per 1k shipped.

If you don't buy in bulk you will always pay more.

Edited by JRM83

Blue Bullets just lowered prices on 147g to 225/3000 with a 10% discount over 10000. This makes them currently the cheapest at .067333 per round.

You're my boy Blue!

If you're LE/MIL, LH bullets (125gr 9mm) are $0.0624/ea when buying the 3,500 count with the 5% discount. Without the discount, they are $0.0657/ea.

LH are also $225/3000 ($0.075/ea without discount and $0.0712 with) for the 147's. Not sure if they do a 10k+ discount though. That's a good price

Edited by polizei1

So , I've ordered sample pack of Acme and BLue Bullets . I'll report back.

Plated work great , but would love to get coated ones working without leading the barrel.

Interesting that precision bullets worked fine in CZ barrel but lead my Grand power barrel .I still use precision bullets for my 40 CZ TS

looks like SNS castings have a good deal, looking to get 9mm 115 RN for $62.00 per 1000 and 125 RN for $68 per 1000 plus $15 flat rate shipping total is $145

Chet

Blue bullets just lowered their prices by 7% today

http://www.thebluebullets.com/category-s/1874.htm

HI CZ85Combat

i have tried the blue before, as some users say, the coating seems to get on your fingers, although a good bullet, I went with the SNS casting. even at the 2500 count, they are close compared to SNS in price, Blue's price was $178 for 2500 and SNS comes in at $176 both figures shipping is added.

Chet

looks like SNS castings have a good deal, looking to get 9mm 115 RN for $62.00 per 1000 and 125 RN for $68 per 1000 plus $15 flat rate shipping total is $145

Chet

Correct, you'd be hard pressed to find a 115gr coated 9mm bullet any cheaper than that!