Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New rifle

meanzbullet

I am getting prepared to build another rifle. Anyone have experience to share with some billet uppers and lowers? All of the rifles I have had before are not billet so this would be the first billet rifle. Looking at San Tan and perhaps Spikes or maybe some others. Give me some feedback on what you may have used and why you like or hate it. Is billet worth the money?

The rifles I have had so far have had quite a bit of wiggle between the upper and lower. I keep reading that it doesn't cause any issues but it has always been kind of mental thing for me... So I assume that a matched billet receiver set "should" do away with the poor fit. Correct? They do look really cool...

There is the interaction between the tail of the carrier and the hammer cocking surface to look at. If all parts are to spec, then sure.

You do have to be careful with a lower set up with a heavy buffer running a tuned low mass upper, or a low mass buffer/reduced power spring running a full gas upper.

I went full derp on billet everything building my 3gun rig.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have just found a forged slickside upper and milspec lower with a good fit and stuffed them will all the same parts on my current rifle. It probably would have saved me $300 or so and been about 1/2 a pound lighter.

There are plenty of billet upper and lower sets that have poor fit. If you're starting from scratch, just mate a few together to get a tight set. Also, the tensioning screw on many billet and non-billet uppers will take out the bulk of any vertical play. Any decent machine shop could add one to the lower of you chooing.

I.E. The green set screw pushes against the upper, just under the rear takedown pin:

SKN-SP223Lower-Gen2-6.jpg

Edited by BitchinCamaro

That's a Seekins Precision. I have one because of some other neat features, but the looks of it are starting to grow fugly to me.

The screw is just a soft tip set screw (followed by a locking screw) that you can get at a Fastenal or online at http://www.mcmaster.com/#set-screws/=xxshoe.

One pass with drill press and a tap and you can replicate it in pretty much any lower.

Edited by BitchinCamaro

Aero precision makes a non forward assist upper, and I have also found their lowers and uppers to have a fairly tight fit (within the half dozen or so that I have played with).

Nordic uppers and lowers also seem to have a good, tight fit.

Mick

I've used an accuwedge for quite a while and it makes the upper and lower supper tight. I can barely get the takedown pin in and out its so tight. If the slip bothers you, otherwise I'd save the money on the billet receivers and spend it elsewhere. If it's a competition rifle I'd spend that extra couple hundred on a LMBCG and adjustable gas block. I'd also buy a high end barrel

I built a Seekins billet rifle because the idea of the all ambi setup was appealing since I'm a lefty. What I didn't really think about is I've been so conditioned to running a "regular" AR configuration for so long that I really don't use any ambi controls but the safety which is already on all my AR's anyway. If I had it to do over I'd do a nicely fit forged rifle with a light no FA upper and call it a day with some cash in my pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I built a Seekins billet rifle because ... If I had it to do over I'd do a nicely fit forged rifle with a light no FA upper and call it a day with some cash in my pocket.

I'm glad I'm not the only one!

The Seekins is super nice, but the eye-candy aspect of it overwhelmed my "do I really need this shit?" reasoning.

Plus, having a blingy rifle makes me feel extra stupid after I brainfart through a stage in front of other shooters :sick: .

I built a Seekins billet rifle because ... If I had it to do over I'd do a nicely fit forged rifle with a light no FA upper and call it a day with some cash in my pocket.

I'm glad I'm not the only one!

The Seekins is super nice, but the eye-candy aspect of it overwhelmed my "do I really need this shit?" reasoning.

Plus, having a blingy rifle makes me feel extra stupid after I brainfart through a stage in front of other shooters :sick: .

Exactly, nothing worse than having all that cash into the rifle platform only to get smoked by someone running the $49 special upper & lower with plastic handguards. It doesn't happen regularly but just once is enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went with a CMT ambi billet upper and lower combo primarily for the clean looks (no busy roll marks, lizards and curvy lines) and because it uses the least number of proprietary parts, i.e. the mag catch. If I had put more thought into it, probably would have gone with their no forward assist upper, but I literally put this build together between two matches after realizing I couldn't hit steel at 200 yards very well with an AKS-74U:

19539071351_73c83065fb_h.jpg

19534770175_11fb543400_h.jpg

The lower does have that rubber tipped upper tensioning screw for reducing play between the two halves. There was a TINY amount of for/aft play between the two, but was effectively eliminated by adding a quarter between the receiver extension and JP SCSS assembly which then put tension on the rear of the carrier/upper.

Not sure about the ambi controls either......at the first match with the rifle, I did drop the mag a few times when trying to drop the bolt and was actually using the 'lefty' mag release button with my thumb to swap mags like it's done with an AK.

Can't say going the billet route will be of any value to you or anyone else. Fortunately, the build went smoothly and rifle has performed with ZERO issues.

I went with a CMT ambi billet upper and lower combo primarily for the clean looks (no busy roll marks, lizards and curvy lines) and because it uses the least number of proprietary parts, i.e. the mag catch. If I had put more thought into it, probably would have gone with their no forward assist upper, but I literally put this build together between two matches after realizing I couldn't hit steel at 200 yards very well with an AKS-74U:

The lower does have that rubber tipped upper tensioning screw for reducing play between the two halves. There was a TINY amount of for/aft play between the two, but was effectively eliminated by adding a quarter between the receiver extension and JP SCSS assembly which then put tension on the rear of the carrier/upper.

Not sure about the ambi controls either......at the first match with the rifle, I did drop the mag a few times when trying to drop the bolt and was actually using the 'lefty' mag release button with my thumb to swap mags like it's done with an AK.

Can't say going the billet route will be of any value to you or anyone else. Fortunately, the build went smoothly and rifle has performed with ZERO issues.

That is a great looking rifle. Between this and the side charge thread I will also "need" to build a new rifle...