Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2 Front Sight

Malarkey

I have a Stock II Xtreme with the Eric 5.25mm (replaced the 5.5 with 5.25) Tall front sight, and at 25 meters it still prints low center. So I have to crank up the rear sight a lot. I'm not sure if it's the gun or shooting errors :)

I'm thinking now of replacing the FS with a Dawson .120T or .110T

What would be the best .120T or 110T? Or working on my shooting technique :)

Another guy with a Stock II Xtreme with the 5.5mm Tall Eric FS has almost all the way cranked up his rear sight.

So, is this typical for stock II's that they print low with the standard front sights?

I'm using 5.5mm x 3mm. If I don't flinch before ignition it hits right above my front post and the rears aren't cranked high.

Try shooting 6 rounds into a 2" dot at 7 yards.

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm going a different route. I fitted a CZ Tactical Sport fixed rear sight, and just got a Dawson front fiber to match. I like using the TS rear as a slide racker, and there is nothing to come loose or break on it, and it's cheaper than the Henning fixed rear. Its lighter that the stock rear by about a quarter of an ounce to boot!

Question: I'm planning to install the Dawson front tonight. On previous Tanfoglios, years ago, I had to file a decent amount of the sight to get it to fit into the dovetail. Have you guys found on recently manufactured front sights from Dawson, that they take a lot of fitting, filing, sanding to install, or should I just be able to tap it in as it came from them?

Yup, installed it last night. Turned out a few light taps with a plastic dead blow was all it took to seat it in the dovetail. It did shave off two very thin strands of steel on either side as it went in, but that didn't concern me too much. I filled the dovetail with the green loctite before the install, but forgot to put any loctite on the set screw itself, so we'll see how she holds... You guys think it is worth taking the sight back out cleaning up the loctite, and reapplying after putting some blue on the set screw threads? I'm honestly thinking it probably got a bit of the green on the threads as I was in stalling it. Lowered and raised the set screw a few times before snugging it.

• 1 month later...

The only thing that I don't like about the Dawson is that it's too tall. The OEM sight is 0.140" tall. The shortest Dawson is 0.160", so that makes you have to jack up the rear sight to zero it. That's why so many Stock IIs have the rear sight sticking up in the air. I've asked for a 0.140" X 0.100 sight. We'll see if they make it.....

They now list the .140x.100 on their website!

The only thing that I don't like about the Dawson is that it's too tall. The OEM sight is 0.140" tall. The shortest Dawson is 0.160", so that makes you have to jack up the rear sight to zero it. That's why so many Stock IIs have the rear sight sticking up in the air. I've asked for a 0.140" X 0.100 sight. We'll see if they make it.....

It's about time

So I'm going a different route. I fitted a CZ Tactical Sport fixed rear sight, and just got a Dawson front fiber to match. I like using the TS rear as a slide racker, and there is nothing to come loose or break on it, and it's cheaper than the Henning fixed rear. Its lighter that the stock rear by about a quarter of an ounce to boot!

Question: I'm planning to install the Dawson front tonight. On previous Tanfoglios, years ago, I had to file a decent amount of the sight to get it to fit into the dovetail. Have you guys found on recently manufactured front sights from Dawson, that they take a lot of fitting, filing, sanding to install, or should I just be able to tap it in as it came from them?

Pictures, install details and where to purchase?

It's just the rear sight from a CZ Tactical Sport. The are available from CZC and from CZ-USA, I got mine from CZC for ~$40 shipped. After shooting a test target I went with a 0.195" tall x 0.1" wide front sight from Dawson, and it seems to be shooting where I need it. The notch in the rear is pretty wide. If I were to do it again, I may consider going with a slightly wider front if it was available. Dawson would probably be willing to custom make it if you called, but I'm still happy with it as it is now! The TS rear sight does take a little bit of fitting but all you need is a triangle file and some patience...
Only picture I can find at the moment is before the front sight showed up, but at least you can see the rear:
post-33893-0-32278600-1443290611_thumb.j
post-33893-0-53489600-1443290605_thumb.j
Edited by EngineerEli

I have the Dawson .140x.100 front on my SII currently; will have POA/POI info for 147 gr and possibly some 124 gr ammo after hitting the range tomorrow and this weekend.

• 2 months later...

It's just the rear sight from a CZ Tactical Sport. The are available from CZC and from CZ-USA, I got mine from CZC for ~$40 shipped. After shooting a test target I went with a 0.195" tall x 0.1" wide front sight from Dawson, and it seems to be shooting where I need it. The notch in the rear is pretty wide. If I were to do it again, I may consider going with a slightly wider front if it was available. Dawson would probably be willing to custom make it if you called, but I'm still happy with it as it is now! The TS rear sight does take a little bit of fitting but all you need is a triangle file and some patience...
Only picture I can find at the moment is before the front sight showed up, but at least you can see the rear:

What kind of grips are those?

What kind of grips are those?

Those are the full length plastic grips you can get for the large frame Witness Match guns. I cut them to length and stippled them. I could make a set available for sale if you're interested PM me...

I explained everything here: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=212997&hl=grips#entry2473646