Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recipe for 9mm Major- MG 121's using HS6 or Auto Comp

nelly

Hi, Getting some MG 121's and I'm looking for a recipe using both these powders. I've been loading 124gr MG JHP's over 7.5 grs of Auto Comp and 8.0-8.3grs of HS6 both seated at 1.160 out of my STI Tru-Bor with excellent results. Thanks in advance for the info I appreciate it.

Make up some loads uisng the same load (powder charge weight, OAL, primer, etc.) you are currently using for your MG 124gr JHP loads in your gun and chrono. Tweak powder charge if necessary.

I tried the MG121s and don't recall much difference at the chrono between them and my loads for MG124 JHPs. A 3 grain bullet weight difference isn't a lot.

Edited by Bamboo

Hi, Getting some MG 121's and I'm looking for a recipe using both these powders. I've been loading 124gr MG JHP's over 7.5 grs of Auto Comp and 8.0-8.3grs of HS6 both seated at 1.160 out of my STI Tru-Bor with excellent results. Thanks in advance for the info I appreciate it.

Have you chrono'ed those loads. I was loading 121's with 7.4 WAC @1.165 and getting 174 PF. I currently load 7.8 with 115's. 7.5 seems more than needed for a 124?

Have you chrono'ed those loads. I was loading 121's with 7.4 WAC @1.165 and getting 174 PF. I currently load 7.8 with 115's. 7.5 seems more than needed for a 124?

Sarge, two questions. Why JHP over CMJ? I currently use BBI, I thought about switching back to MG for open; is there any performance gain? I know the MG's are tougher than coated lead. Thanks.

Sarge, two questions. Why JHP over CMJ? I currently use BBI, I thought about switching back to MG for open; is there any performance gain? I know the MG's are tougher than coated lead. Thanks.

Supposedly they are more accurate but I really use them for a personal practical reason. I load minor loads with round nose bullets and I will never get my ammo mixed up as long as I shoot JHP's in 9MAJOR. I shot some BBI's tonight as a matter of fact but I'm not a fan of the smoke.

... I was loading 121's with 7.4 WAC @1.165 and getting 174 PF. I currently load 7.8 with 115's. 7.5 seems more than needed for a 124?

I'm 7.2 WAC, 1.15 OAL, MG 121 IFP -> 170 PF

With MG 121 loaded out to 1.165 using 8.7gr HS-6 I'm getting 173pf.

This is why I love these threads! No matter what, they always show that all guns are different and one should always chrono and NEVER just go with a load recommendation. :cheers:

I'm not Kevin, but......

I use JHP over CMJ for two reasons. (1) JHP hits on paper are more distinct that CMJ. CMJ (round nose) holes tend to push in the paper versus cutting a nice round hole. CMJ (Ripley's belive it or not) can deflect on cardboard. If your second shot is close to being a perfect double. It is harder to "read" the hits on paper. (2) IMO, JHP worked better on steel. An edge hit might still drive down the steel whereas CMJ might deflect.

I'm not Kevin, but......

I use JHP over CMJ for two reasons. (1) JHP hits on paper are more distinct that CMJ. CMJ (round nose) holes tend to push in the paper versus cutting a nice round hole. CMJ (Ripley's belive it or not) can deflect on cardboard. If your second shot is close to being a perfect double. It is harder to "read" the hits on paper. (2) IMO, JHP worked better on steel. An edge hit might still drive down the steel whereas CMJ might deflect.

Agreed. Holes are much sharper with JHP's.

• 2 weeks later...

My open load is MG 121 to 1.168 and 7.5gr WAC. PF=176 on my gun with no holes, just the comp. 176 pf works my comp very nicely.

What gun are you running, blueeyedme? What spring weight?

• 6 months later...

Hybrid barrel 3 holes and 4 port custom comp.

HS6 8.5g

SRP

MG 121 IFP

1464 average FPS ~ 177pf

Still 1/4 case left....will be trying 8.1-8.3g of silhouette next. My few rounds of testing, seems like dot tracks better with my gun then HS6.

Very smooth on the hands and flat (relative). Burns cleaner then less running less powder. Hope it helps. thanks

May I ask, if you have excellent results , and want to experiment with a lighter bullet, why not 115 versus a 3 grain change?

May I ask, if you have excellent results , and want to experiment with a lighter bullet, why not 115 versus a 3 grain change?
Very good point. There is no real difference in feel between 121 and 124. Now, 115's will be night and day