Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Vortex PST for Precision Tactical?

MrBorland

I'm looking to get a FFP/mil scope suitable for tactical precision matches out to 1,000 yards. I've narrowed it down to the Vortex PST, but am having trouble deciding between the 6-24x50 or the 4-16x50. My gut tells me to go with the 4-16x. I'm thinking that ranging with a FFP reticle is easiest at the scope's highest mag, but mirage, etc would keep me from using the 24x. And I'm thinking the 4x lower end would be more useful than a 6x. Am I off base?

So for those of you who shoot tactical precision matches, which would you recommend - 4-16x or 6-24x?

TIA -

Tom

You will want the 6-24 as opposed to the 4-16x, in my opinion.

In matches where shots can stretch out to 750 yds and beyond, the extra power matters.

I own a Vortex PST 6-24 with the FFP reticle, and it is a fine piece of glass.

This is mounted on my AR for "Designated Marksman" type matches.

For precision tactical, don't overlook Horus vision.

I also own a Horus Falcon with H-25 reticle.

The glass is clean and I love the reticle. Price is comparable to the Vortex.

Tls

Edited by 38superman

Definitely the 6-24x50 FFP. You are off in thinking that you need to be on highest power to use the reticle in a FFP optic. The huge advantage to FFP is that you can use the reticle on any power. The 2C reticle is a good option for what you want to use it for. Here is my post on mine. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=215111&hl=

Thanks for your help, folks.

Yes, I know you don't have to be at max mag to range with a FFP reticle - sorry for the confusion - I was concerned that the reticle might be too small at lower mags to use for ranging, whereas mirage, etc might make the higher mag difficult to use.

I'm now strongly considering the Razor for my LR build that's in progress, though I also have a .260Rem rifle with a 20" barrel that would make a dandy mid-range rifle, so I'm still considering the PST 4-16x50 for that rifle.

Tom

I have the Vortex Viper 4-16 SFP. Not exactly what you're looking at but the magnification is the same. It has worked well for me out to about 950 yards but I found that when I stretch much beyond 1000 I wish I had the extra power. If I were you I would go for the higher magnification, you can always turn it down if mirage become a problem. I am not sure if there is much, if any, difference in the glass between the Viper line and the PST line, that to me would make more of a difference than power range.

I agree about just getting the Razor but if your budget wont allow it the PST is a good scope for the money. I prefer to have the most power you can get since you can always dial down if it is too much.

You won't be ranging at 6x. If mirage is so bad you need to be at 6x then your range will be best guess anyways as breaking down to .1 mil for an accurate range will be very difficult. Ranging is also one of the less useful things to use a FFP scope for anyways. Holds in the reticle will be much more useful.

Think of it this way. You can always dial your 24x scope down to 16x but you can't dial the 16x max scope up if you need more power. The small 2x difference at the bottom won't make a difference.

I agree with all the above. At Woodys this weekend, I shot mostly around 16x, BUT, a couple times when I NEEDED to, I cranked it up, and I was glad I had the power to do it. If you can afford the Razor, I would get it. If you could save a little longer for it, it would be worth the wait. If budgets won't let you, then the line you are looking at would work pretty good. I shoot a Bushy 6-24 with a G2 ret, and I kind of look at these scopes as first cousins. With that being said, I wish I had the Razor, not because mine is bad, but because we always want better....

The Razor is a good step up from the PST but if funds limit you then the PST is a good option. Razors were going for around $1350 recently and you might be able to find one. They are usually around $1500 now. If you still want a 6-24x FFP PST then you can get a "demo" unit from Cameraland for $799 with the EBR-1 reticle. It's a good reticle and similar to the EBR-1C I run in my Razor II scopes. Cameraland's "demo" scopes are basically new scopes. Some even come in sealed packaging. With the Vortex VIP Warranty there is no need to worry and it saves you about $150.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexviperpst6-24x50ffp

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

I have the Vortex Viper PST GEN II 6-25X FFP with a MIL reticle. The zero stop is awesome and if you need the extra power you have it. Usually one does not go beyond 20X in a match.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2019 at 2:46 PM, verla said:

I have the Vortex Viper PST GEN II 6-25X FFP with a MIL reticle. The zero stop is awesome and if you need the extra power you have it. Usually one does not go beyond 20X in a match.

I completely agree. I have found in most precision matches I usually hover around 16x but I will increase magnification on smaller targets like KYL racks. 

• 4 weeks later...

I ran a 4-14 for a good while without any real difficulty but I did end up getting a 5-25 Viper PST Gen 2 because I found myself wanting more magnification all the time. So, I would skip the lower magnification ranges and just get the good one the first time.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

I know that this is a old post, but I have been told that I don't post enough, this is just my opinion but I have used Tract Optics and they are a very good option for the money. No middleman can save the working class guy some funds and the glass is as good as any.

Edited by troupe

• 4 weeks later...