Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slug Accuracy

ffgats

When can you consider a shotgun is accurate in slugs

POA-POI inches wise

Slugs groups (3shots)@25,50 and 75 yards

Must admit that I am shooting my 1301 like a rifle, pushing for groups which is not really what's intended for, maybe I should see a Shrink, lol

I have a couple of Benelli shotguns that will group 5 rounds into 3" or a bit less at 100 yards (M1 and an M2) with full recoil slugs, typically most (Benellis) will hold 5" with low recoil at that range but you are really pressing the envelope of the ammunition!.....NOT THE GUN!!!!

Aren't there some bolt action slug guns that are getting close to 1 MOA with specialized ammo?

Anyway, for my unrefined taste if I can keep the holes in the paper touching at 50 yards off hand, I call that more then good enough (and also the gun zero'ed).

When testing ammo don't over look the importance of a consistent, repeatable sight picture to reduce that variable. A temporary rear sight can help keep the gun pointed in the same direction every time (we used to duct tape a rear sight on smooth bore flintlock guns when developing a good load)

What size IPSC steel? Last time I checked IPSC shotgun rules they offer a 6"X6" square steel target, and Colt plates. Remember IPSC has done away with the upper A/B/. If you are talking about the 6X6 target I agree, I would be real happy with a shotgun that could do that with either type of slug

• 2 weeks later...

Both my 1301 the 21" and 24" are are accurate and will group less than inch at 50 yards, however the 21' will group to the left about 2" from the POA and and the 24" about the same size group to the right 2" also from the POA. Both using the Federal Truball Low Recoil

Thinking of installing a pistol sight dovetail to the front so I can adjust for windage. Good Idea?

Both my 1301 the 21" and 24" are are accurate and will group less than inch at 50 yards, however the 21' will group to the left about 2" from the POA and and the 24" about the same size group to the right 2" also from the POA. Both using the Federal Truball Low Recoil

Thinking of installing a pistol sight dovetail to the front so I can adjust for windage. Good Idea?

If you have a field smooth-bore shotgun grouping slugs under 2MOA, you had better not touch that unicorn or you will mess it up. :)

If you have a field smooth-bore shotgun grouping slugs under 2MOA, you had better not touch that unicorn or you will mess it up. :)

Mark,

you are more knowlegeable than me , so you think a dovetail front sight might cause more problem,

7.62 - no bbl clamp,

both of my buddies 1301 shoot straight with slugs, POA-POI same ammo -Fedral low recoil

No bbl clamp is good!

Mark is right....I would be more than happy with the accuracy you seem to be getting! 2" to the right or left is real good!

Keep in mind different bbls and receiver combinations will usually NOT have the same POI.

I have a barrel for my Nova that is 1' left and 1'2" low, and another barrel for it that puts slugs perfectly centered at 70 yards.

No bbl clamp is good!

Mark is right....I would be more than happy with the accuracy you seem to be getting! 2" to the right or left is real good!

Keep in mind different bbls and receiver combinations will usually NOT have the same POI.

I have a barrel for my Nova that is 1' left and 1'2" low, and another barrel for it that puts slugs perfectly centered at 70 yards.

You just gave me an idea, maybe will try switching bbls and see how it goes, just for fun

Were any of you guys at this years Ironman? What a fargin' slug fest!

Those are some awfully good groups some of you guys are shooting. I have tested a lot of slug rounds, and I'm with Mark. If you can get 5 MoA or better, you're doing good. Out of my Versamax I have never really found a great load in anything low recoil. Herter's groups ok. But Winchester Super X 1600fps are lasers. I can keep my rounds touching out to 60'ish yards. They are 4 to 5 MoA at 100.

There were 5 slug spinners and multiple plates at the Ironman this year. The highest slug count they have ever had. The 70 yard slug spinner on stage 6 had about a 10% spin rate. 9 out of 10 shooters failed to spin it. 60 second penalty for FTN. Daniel Horner needed about 15 to 16 rounds to get it. Thank God I installed a flip up rear sight this spring, I managed to get that one over in 4. This is a 10/22 rear sight. The dovetail is cut so I can fold it down completely out of the way, and the front sight is an STI.

Shotty%20Sight%201_zpsqjh7jbmt.jpg

Shotty%20Sight%203_zpsb1tozya1.jpg

A couple weekends ago someone asked me why I was shooting full power Rem. slugs. I told them because they work! I fired 1 extra slug for the match. All but one stage I only loaded the slugs that I needed. I trust them as I should.

• 1 month later...

Ok, Kurt and Mark, back to shotguns and slugs through vent rib barrels and jumping on this thread. I shot my Benelli M2 21" field yesterday for the first time. I was very surprised how much recoil the shotgun has. It is my lightest 12 gauge. My benelli m4 is heavy enough that even remington Truball slugs are fairly comfy and very accurate. My dedicated slug guns aren't fun to shoot, but they are heavy barrels and tame slugs down a fair amount.

Through the M2, the Truballs were PUNISHING! I mean awful! I was totally taken back. Also, at 25 yards, they were about 6" high. I only shot 2 because, well, it hurt a lot, but they were about 3" apart and 6" high. 00 was uncomfortable, but not intolerable and field loads just gave more recoil than I am used to, however I could deal with that. I have ordered some Fiocchi reduced recoil slugs and hope that helps with recoil and poi. Will the fiocchi slugs shoot with a lower poi given reduced power and recoil? If not, I have got to get a rear sight for sure.

First, Tru-Ball is a Federal Premium Ammunition brand name. I believe Remington's trade name is Slugger; not that this would matter in the recoil department for both full power offerings.

In general you will find that the low recoil slugs will exhibit more drop at the 75 to 100 yard mark, Although the Tru Ball low recoil slug will have a bit less drop as it is moving about 100 fps faster than the Remington Managed Recoil and Fiocchi Aero slugs (1 oz.). It is not uncommon though to find that in the shorter to mid range distances the "low recoil" slugs printing a bit higher than full recoil slugs do to the extra dwell time in the barrel (internal ballistics). None of this affects practical accuracy, but depending on how you hold your shotgun it can be seen (a looser hold showing this phenomenon more) The Fiocchi Aero low recoil 7/8 ounce slug tends to follow full powered slug arc more closely than not, but all of them will still exhibit 4-6" low at 100 from a full recoil slug....in my experience.

As an aside what slugs do you use in your "bench rest" shotguns? I have got 3-4 cases of Federal 127 1 ounce SS 2 slugs if your interested...( The Federal Saboted slug at 1600 fps) I'd make you a heck of a deal on them.

As an aside what slugs do you use in your "bench rest" shotguns? I have got 3-4 cases of Federal 127 1 ounce SS 2 slugs if your interested...( The Federal Saboted slug at 1600 fps) I'd make you a heck of a deal on them.

Now you're just being silly

First, Tru-Ball is a Federal Premium Ammunition brand name. I believe Remington's trade name is Slugger; not that this would matter in the recoil department for both full power offerings.

In general you will find that the low recoil slugs will exhibit more drop at the 75 to 100 yard mark, Although the Tru Ball low recoil slug will have a bit less drop as it is moving about 100 fps faster than the Remington Managed Recoil and Fiocchi Aero slugs (1 oz.). It is not uncommon though to find that in the shorter to mid range distances the "low recoil" slugs printing a bit higher than full recoil slugs do to the extra dwell time in the barrel (internal ballistics). None of this affects practical accuracy, but depending on how you hold your shotgun it can be seen (a looser hold showing this phenomenon more) The Fiocchi Aero low recoil 7/8 ounce slug tends to follow full powered slug arc more closely than not, but all of them will still exhibit 4-6" low at 100 from a full recoil slug....in my experience.

Ah, yeah, you are right and thanks for replying. Although I do have a box or 2 of the old Sluggers, I was in fact, referring to the Federal Premier TruBall slugs. They feature a, go figure, ball of hard plastic behind the slug that is supposed to increase accuracy. They shoot great out of my M4, but it's got a T1 on it, so sight picture is essentially null and I think that is the issue. I have reviewed possible problems since I posted with this question. I am used to shotguns with no cant and no drop. I had played with the drop on the stock of my M2 and I think... that this altered my POI to be higher. Is this logical? I switched the stock back to the lowest drop setting and I expect this to bring the POA and POI closer. I may try it today.

I don't "bench rest" slug guns on purpose, only to confirm my scope zero each year or when I change slugs. Frankly, I hate shooting slugs! BUT, that is what we have been forced to use in Indiana for as long as I can remember to take deer. I am close to switching to a "pistol caliber" rifle, which is now legal. I prefer the WInchester XP3 300 grain slugs @ around 2000 FPS from memory and used those for a few years preceded by the Win Supreme Partition at similar velocitiy. Last year I tried The Hornady SST offering and had a light primer strike on one the last day I hunted, so I will be returning to the XP3.