Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

APEX FSS trigger vs. APEX competition kit

MilkMyDuds

For anyone who has done the switch from one to the other, what's the verdict? Why did you make the switch?

I am currently running the APEX competition kit and RAM, but I have heard good things about the FSS trigger. Both should be around 2.5-3lbs trigger pull but the FSS is said to have much less pre-travel.

Is it worth switching?

For me, absolutely. I dropped the DCAEK in my FS9 and a FSS kit in my Pro. While the Competition kit should carry lighter springs in it, there is a significant amount of take up over the FSS. Absolutely love the FSS, only downside I see to it is that it is a no go for Production

For me, absolutely. I dropped the DCAEK in my FS9 and a FSS kit in my Pro. While the Competition kit should carry lighter springs in it, there is a significant amount of take up over the FSS. Absolutely love the FSS, only downside I see to it is that it is a no go for Production

Did it take long for you to get used to the reduction in pre-travel? I suppose over time it sounds much more appealing.

Edited by MilkMyDuds

I have 4 Apex kits, only one is the FSS (polymer version) and it will be coming out as soon as I can get another comp kit ordered. I have been shooting with the comp kit and the take up that comes with it for so long now I just can't get used to the lack of take up in the FSS. In fact, the one and only match that I shot with the FSS I fired a shot before I was ready because I was anticipating the take up that wasn't there. It wasn't an unsafe shot as it was pointed at the target but it was just before I had a good sight picture. None of this is to say the FSS is a bad trigger, it just doesn't work well for me.

My absolute favorite combination is the Apex Comp AE kit paired with the Polymer Action Enhancement Trigger. This is what all of mine will have except for the one that I keep for SSP.

https://store.apextactical.com/WebDirect/Products/Details/191817

Edited by hlpressley

I have 4 Apex kits, only one is the FSS (polymer version) and it will be coming out as soon as I can get another comp kit ordered. I have been shooting with the comp kit and the take up that comes with it for so long now I just can't get used to the lack of take up in the FSS. In fact, the one and only match that I shot with the FSS I fired a shot before I was ready because I was anticipating the take up that wasn't there. It wasn't an unsafe shot as it was pointed at the target but it was just before I had a good sight picture. None of this is to say the FSS is a bad trigger, it just doesn't work well for me.

My absolute favorite combination is the Apex Comp AE kit paired with the Polymer Action Enhancement Trigger. This is what all of mine will have except for the one that I keep for SSP.

https://store.apextactical.com/WebDirect/Products/Details/191817

Thanks for the insight! That's exactly what I was worried about. Adjusting to the suddenly shortened pre-travel can take some time and practice I guess.

Is this polymer action enhancement trigger a drop-in, basically just swap out the stock trigger? No springs or anything needed to be changed given that the APEX comp kit is already in place, right?

Did it take long for you to get used to the reduction in pre-travel? I suppose over time it sounds much more appealing.

Not too long, but it did take some adjusting. Truth be told,it's not like I had years of trigger time with the other kit. Most of my shooting was 1911s so the transition was a bit easier.

Another Apex related question. I have a M&P Pro with the AEK installed (3 lb trigger pull) and ordered the FFSSS kit. From the Flat Faced Forward Set Sear kit, I have installed just the sear and the trigger so far (will install the striker block plunger later). Which of the AEK springs can I keep in the gun? At the moment, trigger pull is down to 1.5 lbs and I'd like to keep it like that if possible.

I ran several pistols with DCAEK for years. When I came to my senses and switched to the FSS, it took me all of 2 minutes dry fire the "get used" to the new pull. The transition is no worse than switching between guns of different brands. If you shoot a 1911, the transition will be seamless. Not sure what all the fuss is about. However, if you are shooting in the same division as me, feel free to stick with the long pre-travel :roflol:

I have a Pro that I installed the flat faced FSS in. I agree that it took me all of 5 minutes to get used to the lack of pretravel through dry fire.

As far as the springs go, when I called Apex, they told me that I could keep the competition trigger return spring and striker spring in the gun. I love the 2.5lb trigger pull and 1/8" reset. I just wish the reset was a little more aggressive like my Glocks but I'm not complaining. Apex states that the trigger is as close to a 1911 as you can get. Everyone who tries my trigger says WOW! that's nice.

I use the competition spring kits in all my m&p's but I do use the stock trigger return springs . With the kit you get a pretty darn light pull but the reset is blah so get a RAM to go with it and you'll be set .

I have been pretty happy w/ the stock parts and adding the hard sear and RAM. However, once I spotted the Flat face FSS kit my interest was peaked and I eventually got one. As of now I've got a standard trigger w/ the hard sear and RAM in my MP9pro production gun and I think the trigger is great.. i might look to get some more apex parts to lighten it a little more, but for now I'm happy. The FSS kit went into a mp40 pro that i've used in 3 gun and had thoughts of shooting some limited with... i'd say that I like the trigger, however, for the huge extra amount of money it cost in comparison to the production set up, I'm not convinced I'd do it again. I think the production trigger has a more crisp break. The FSS kit definitely has less overall movement, and thats excellent. Its not a bad trigger by any stretch, and compared to stock its wickedly amazing. I guess it also has the improved trigger (the actual part not the feel of the movement) compared to either my production gun or a stock set up.. but again, I like how my production gun is set up and i'm not sure if the cost of the FSS is worth the resulting gain over the hard sear and RAM.

I was coming here to post this exact topic but with a slightly different twist. I usually run a Pro 9 in SSP and Production with the Competition spring kit. I recently picked up a companion Pro 9 with an FSS already installed. I ran some test with a timer (repeatedly) to see what the difference would be. I set up a few poppers to measure initial shot time and splits during transitions. What I found was nothing! My times were all exactly the same! I let my son run the same drill with both pistols. (He is IDPA Master and I'm running at Expert, also a Glock guy) His results were also the same, albeit faster than mine! I went ahead and put a SSS ESP magwell on the gun and planned on using it for ESP and Limited minor.

Was I wrong expecting better results with the FSS? Or is this just a different strokes for different folks thing?

I was coming here to post this exact topic but with a slightly different twist. I usually run a Pro 9 in SSP and Production with the Competition spring kit. I recently picked up a companion Pro 9 with an FSS already installed. I ran some test with a timer (repeatedly) to see what the difference would be. I set up a few poppers to measure initial shot time and splits during transitions. What I found was nothing! My times were all exactly the same! I let my son run the same drill with both pistols. (He is IDPA Master and I'm running at Expert, also a Glock guy) His results were also the same, albeit faster than mine! I went ahead and put a SSS ESP magwell on the gun and planned on using it for ESP and Limited minor.

Was I wrong expecting better results with the FSS? Or is this just a different strokes for different folks thing?

My FSS trigger is 2 1/2 pull. It doesn't make me faster. It just gives me more control over my shots. Meaning less pull for me equals a greater chance the gun will stay on target and less jerk in the trigger.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I watched the APEX video for installing this trigger, and it appears you have to physically modify the trigger bar loop (e.g. the candy cane) to make this trigger work. Is this true?

Also, the kit comes in with a "sear spring". I already have the competition spring kit installed. What do I do with the "sear spring"?

I watched the APEX video for installing this trigger, and it appears you have to physically modify the trigger bar loop (e.g. the candy cane) to make this trigger work. Is this true?

Also, the kit comes in with a "sear spring". I already have the competition spring kit installed. What do I do with the "sear spring"?

If you have a new model M&P, you don't have to modify the candy Cain. It will drop in. When I called Apex, they told me I could keep my Apex competition trigger spring. I also had the competition spring in my sear. Call Apex they will tell you what to do.

I just swapped the factory trigger out with the APEX one. I did not try to modify the trigger bar loop, and I did not use the included sear spring.

So far everything seems to function correctly with just dry firing. Will test it over the weekend on the range.

Tested the APEX trigger on the range.

I honestly did not feel any difference in terms of splits (tested with Bill Drills) etc. between the APEX vs. stock trigger. Keep in mind I have the APEX competition spring kit and RAM installed. The APEX trigger feels a bit more mushy, not as crisp as the stock one, but it does let me know when I have too little trigger finger or start jerking the trigger sideways, in which case the stock trigger provides no feedback. I think I will keep the APEX trigger.

Does the comp kit eliminate the "stretching and flexing" in a std trigger? I have FSS kits in 3 of my 4 M&P's (No. 4 is a .22). With my very limited skills I can't comment on splits, but I do know my accuracy greatly improved with the FSS over the std S&W trigger.

• 4 weeks later...

Does the comp kit eliminate the "stretching and flexing" in a std trigger? I have FSS kits in 3 of my 4 M&P's (No. 4 is a .22). With my very limited skills I can't comment on splits, but I do know my accuracy greatly improved with the FSS over the std S&W trigger.

I don't run the CAEK at the moment, but I briefly had it in one of my guns. It eliminated the crappy trigger flex, but the trigger spring was so light that the trigger safety would catch on the frame of the pistol. Instead of grinding off the trigger safety, I simply went back to a factory trigger spring and that fixed the issue.