Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Glock Casings

I am setting up my newly acquired 650 and wanted to know your thoughts on reloading casings fired from a stock barrel Glock 34. I have been reading a lot of posts about how loose the tolerance is on the stock Glock barrels. Since I will be new to reloading pistol will the expansion of these cases fired from a Glock be harder to reload? I was thinking of upgrading my barrel to a KKM but a lot of people say to just shoot stock, which is plenty accurate for my ability. With a KKM or tighter barrel will the casings be better for reloading, or is the expansion so minute that it will not matter?

40 S@W is were Lee's U die shines, it will size close to the extractor groove and tighter than other dies.

Because the case is sized tighter a slight modification to the powder through die makes the process easier.

I used a drill press. Take a piece of sized brass as a gauge. Put the Powder through die in the press and

polish the end that goes in the case till the case just slides on the funnel. Then polish with compound

till bright. This will eliminate small cup marks on the case mouth which ruin the case. Your machine needs

to be in time and use case lube makes the whole process easier on the press, dies, brass and the operator.

Doubt you will have issues with a stock Glock barrel but install a KKM or load for a tight chambered pistol

this is the fix for a one pass through the press.

^^^i pick up that free brass and continue loading until I find splits. I haven't had any 'splode yet. Stock Glock barrels are very robust. Of course, I'm relatively new to reloading but this is what a lot of the gray beards do and most of them have all their fingers.

Edited by MNshooter

There is no issue with brass from 9mm Glock barrels and you would never be able to tell Glock fired brass from any other gun. Clean and load.

By they way, stock Glock barrels are very accurate in my experience. I'd love to see a very compelling review where an aftermarket Glock barrel was more accurate than the stock barrel with jacketed rounds.

What RDA said. Been loading for glocks for about 4 years. Just pick up range brass and go. Had to try a KKM barrel, bought one and took them to the range and the glock barrel was slightly more accurate than the KKM. Unless you shoot lead stay stock.

There is no issue with brass from 9mm Glock barrels and you would never be able to tell Glock fired brass from any other gun. Clean and load.

By they way, stock Glock barrels are very accurate in my experience. I'd love to see a very compelling review where an aftermarket Glock barrel was more accurate than the stock barrel with jacketed rounds.

I agree completely. I have reloaded thousands of casings over 25 times without a problem I finally dumped them just because I was getting nervous. I collect essentially 100% of my Glock fired casings at my indoor range and they are mixed with other peoples casings fired from random brands of guns. I have never detected a difference in them.

Lube your casings, don't over bell them (stay between 10 and 20 thousandths over casing diameter) and load away. The internet stuff about Glock cases is nonsense repeated over and over. I am loading over 8000 rounds per month based on actual bullet purchases and they are used by 4 of us all using Glocks of various models (all 9 mm). Quit reading the internet and load them.

Rooster and Brooke are on the money!!!.....I've reloaded mucho 9 mm Glock brass mixed with some range brass. I have never been able to discern a difference between any of them. I admit I did put a KKM on one 34 after some problems....trouble free.

I also have used tons of my older Glock brass in an STI....no problems that weren't the guns fault.

I am tending to lean to the thought this Glock brass stuff is an old wives tale attributed to other problems....my 2 cents worth!

I am tending to lean to the thought this Glock brass stuff is an old wives tale attributed to other problems....my 2 cents worth!

My memory is kind of fuzzy but I think the very first Glocks put a big guppy belly in the brass.

My memory is kind of fuzzy but I think the very first Glocks put a big guppy belly in the brass.

The early 40 S&W barrels weren't as supported leading to the glocked brass. Has not ever been a real issue in 9mm.

For what it's worth, I run a Lee decapping die and about 1% of my cases are bulged to the point they will fail a case gauge check. It's pickup brass from a weekly match where 75% of shooters shoot glocks. Not worth a lot, but there it is.

Conversely, I don't case gauge 45's and have yet to have a bulged case, but a much lower pressure round in a generally tighter chamber.

I reload Glock 34 brass on my 650 press until there is physical damage to the case that prevents me from using it. (cracks, splits, gross marring) The Glock barrel is not super-loose and sloppy like some of the rumors would have you believe. It's easy to load and takes no more effort than any KKM or other aftermarket barrel.

I've loaded well over 200,000 9mm's without an issue. Aftermarket barrels are no more accurate than the OEM Glocks, unless you hand fit them. Now if you are going to shoot only lead, then get a drop in rilfed barrel because getting the lead out of OEM barrels is a nightmare. 40S&W and .45acp will have less leading because they are running slower.

Edited by 9x45