Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To lock back or to not lock back

MrWallace

That is the question... or at least that's been one of the millions of questions running through my mind as I build out my limited STI pistol. The question I've been asking myself as I spend hours searching and reading is why do some people not want their slide to lock back after the last round, while others do? Is there an advantage to the slide not locking back? I mean, it seems that it's mostly shooter preference, but I'm curious if not having it lock back helps cycling or something like that.

Some people use expanded capacity followers that can cause the slide to lock back with a round or two still in the mag. That can be a problem if you were counting on one of those rounds.

You can change your mag release to one of several that prevent over-insertion, if you are worried about that.

I have two types of mag followers. One yields an extra round in the mag, but doesn't lock back all the time after the last round. The other type always locks back. For USPSA Limited, I've never encountered a stage where I needed to fire more than 20 rounds before a reload, so 20+1 is fine. Since I'm always reloading with the slide closed, it doesn't matter if the slide will lock back on an empty mag or not.

One of my clubs has safety regs that only permit you to run with the gun in slide lock. That's why I have two types.

If you want to try both, all you need is an additional SS modified to prevent lock back. You can order then pre-done at Brazos Custom, or read his article on how to do it yourself. It doesn't make the gun run slicker or anything like that. It is done solely to prevent premature lock back.

Get a Nitro Fin, it's setup to not lock back and you get a thumb rest.

I use a NitroFin on my limited gun.

If you want the gun to lock back, look at getting a Dawson Posi-Lock, it's setup to prevent over inserting a mag.

Edited by Quack

In USPSA Limited division, if you run your gun empty during a stage, something went wrong. It could be your plan, bad shots on steel or you just forgot to reload when it was best appropriate to do so.

Long mags with base plates + the adrenaline of shooting a stage + the 1911/2011 platform with slide locked open = possible over insertion of the mag and locking the gun up tight.

Some mags depending on their "guts" (springs--followers) have been known to activate the slide stop prematurely, thus causing issues.

So, most folks that shoot Limited do the following.

1) Modify slide stop so it will not engage the tab on the mag follower.

2) Use mags that have the mag follower modified to not engage the slide stop.

3) YES---we do both 1 and 2 because MURPHY!

Another big thing to remember. When shooting a stage, plan your reload wisely. For the most part field courses are maxed at 32rds, your Limited gun should hold 20rds in the mag +1 in the chamber, so in reality, you will only need to reload once. There will usually be a decent transition in the stage to do your reload when your moving.

As far as not locking back making the gun run better, nope, but it does potentially eliminate a premature stoppage.

You will also find the Open division guns are set up to not lock back as well. While, SS and Production guys like their guns to lock on empty.

Only with SS major do I have the guns lock back

Becasue

I've run them like that for 37 years and wouldn't know what to do if it didn't lock back LOL

But

in all the STI type guns I set them up to not lock back, for the reasons stated by the others

It's your gun if you want it to lock set it up that way and make sure your followers don't lock it open early by tuning your slide stop and or mag followers.

Good fortune

jcc7x7

Edited by jcc7x7

I read the brazos article as was suggested and made the changes to the slide stop as was stated, though I'm sure I'm going to be getting a nitro fin or something of the sort soon anyways.

When I get the magazines in, I'll modify the followers as well. Thank you for the suggestions!

New topic for me too. Do you guys with slides that don't lock back count your rounds fired as you go or do you just wait for it not to fire when you pull the trigger and know it is time to reload?

Counting can be shots fired or extra rounds used or what the stage being fired dictates. There should always be a round in the chamber when doing a reload. Waiting for the gun not to fire is just as bad as pulling the trigger a few times then realizing the slide is locked back. You should also be able to tell when the slide cycles on an empty chamber.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So will modifying my followers only prevent the slide from locking back on empty? Don't want to mess with my factory slide stop and plan on going with a Nitro Fin soon after upgrading to a race type holster. For the record, I'm shooting an STI DVC Limited in .40 with STI 140mm mags with Grams followers/springs, and TTI basepads.

So will modifying my followers only prevent the slide from locking back on empty? Don't want to mess with my factory slide stop and plan on going with a Nitro Fin soon after upgrading to a race type holster. For the record, I'm shooting an STI DVC Limited in .40 with STI 140mm mags with Grams followers/springs, and TTI basepads.

No new Intel here amigo. Modify the mag ( follower) not the gun ( slide stop) for no lock back. Only real reason is to ensure you don't lock back with a round left in the mag. If you are running factory STI followers then don't worry about it but if you have grams guts then do it.

The big concern is getting your money's worth ( capacity ) out of your gear.

Beyond that, slamming a tapered 140 into your polymer grip 2011 at slide lock may be a bummer (over insertion)

Good luck amigo!

No new Intel here amigo. Modify the mag ( follower) not the gun ( slide stop) for no lock back. Only real reason is to ensure you don't lock back with a round left in the mag. If you are running factory STI followers then don't worry about it but if you have grams guts then do it.

The big concern is getting your money's worth ( capacity ) out of your gear.

Beyond that, slamming a tapered 140 into your polymer grip 2011 at slide lock may be a bummer (over insertion)

Good luck amigo!

Thank you sir!

If it locks back when I wasn't planning on it (most likely due to extra shots being needed and I wasn't counting) and I'm surprised by it and being surprised costs me some time, that's on me.

If it was part of my plan and the reload + slide drop goes crisply while on the move, and all else goes as planned, it is good.

If it locks back when I wasn't planning on it (most likely due to extra shots being needed and I wasn't counting) and I'm surprised by it and being surprised costs me some time, that's on me.

If it was part of my plan and the reload + slide drop goes crisply while on the move, and all else goes as planned, it is good.

I agree with that. I like slide lock. With Dawson SNL pads, I won't over insert a 140mm mag while shooting limited.

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

See the shadow line at the lower left corner?

Mark yourself a line there with a blade then zap it off to that line with a Dremel.

Fine tune it by trying the empty mag in your gun till it no longer locks back.

This is for grams follower.

Have fun!

Sounds good. Will have to break out the Dremel and give it a go. Thanks again.