Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brand New STI Trojan 5 40 S&W Failure To Feed

Orbit

The Lee U die is worth it. It will cure the buldge. From your pics--the ammo is the problem. If you can't get one (sometimes hard to find), then get the push through sizing die. It works. I don't even use case lube anymore. The 650 runs like a clock with pre-sized 40 brass.

You installed the AFTEC? Did you modify the firing pin stop correctly?

my feeling is, seeing your photos, you need more crimp! crimp should be roughly .421 at the mouth case. do not use a gauge, use the barrel chamber as your gauge.

as stated earlier, remove the barrel, drop your loads into it. if it does not fall in, apply more crimp to your round, until it falls in and falls out.

make sure that the back of the round does stick further out than the barrel hood.

you dont need to load at 1.180, anywhere from 1.160 to 1.180 will work, depends your ramp, your magazines, etc.

also polishing the ramp is not enough. you have to create a grove onto the ramp, for the bullet to channel its way up into the chamber. most ramps are like a flat wall, the 40sw 180 bullets have a flat shape to them and need some type of grove or channel to feed up. if the angle is too steep, the bullet is just hitting up against a wall.

good luck.

The Lee U die is worth it. It will cure the buldge. From your pics--the ammo is the problem. If you can't get one (sometimes hard to find), then get the push through sizing die. It works. I don't even use case lube anymore. The 650 runs like a clock with pre-sized 40 brass.

You installed the AFTEC? Did you modify the firing pin stop correctly?

To be honest, I will just start the reloading process, no experience yet, i am just buying reloads or factory ammunition. Yes, I already installed the aftec extractor and it run great with good and enough tension to hold the empty brass. I did modify my firing pin block as required in the aftec document.

could it have too much tension. The picture looks like the case can't slide up under the extractor.

My open gun did the same. Removing the front spring fixed it.

Hi,

I will try it again tomorrow. Its hard to remove the aftec extractor. Do you know how to simply remove it? My hand is sore already, tomorrow again. I think you have a point by analyzing the picture.

Thanks.

could it have too much tension. The picture looks like the case can't slide up under the extractor.

My open gun did the same. Removing the front spring fixed it.

Hi,

I will try it again tomorrow. Its hard to remove the aftec extractor. Do you know how to simply remove it? My hand is sore already, tomorrow again. I think you have a point by analyzing the picture.

Thanks.

for the mean time, i put an empty brass in the chamber, so that the aftec will loose a bit (hoping). I checked the tension, a bit okay but I will try it.

I have a Trojan in .40 as well. With Wilson 10mm mags, I can run anything from factory ammo to reloads at 1.200 OAL. Looking at some of the picks it appears to be ammo related, but I recommend the Wilson 10mm mags once you sort it out.

If you were in the US, I would volunteer to send a Wilson mag to you for a function test. I tried to go with the Metalform Mags to save a few bucks when I first bought my .40 Trojan, but it was a Jam-o-matic, Wilson mags ($160 US) later and it runs like a top.

Of course my Canadian made Para 16.40 runs like a top...

Hi Dogtired,

Thank you for the input and even for the offer of lending the mag if i am in US. I am planning to buy the corey Tripp mags sooner, I am just trying to see and solve the issues one at a time. In terms of wilson mags, what kind or model of magazine in 40 S&W or 10mm?

I am running the 40 mags. I tried to get the Metalform to work but no luck.

Tripp 10mm mags, the Corey Tripp mags are what I use

load your ammo to 1.18-1.20

I was shooting 165gr, then switched to 180's and now a 200gr

all fed with the Corey/Tripp 10mm competition mags

The STI mags do not work, even the Tripp 40s&w mags do not work well loaded long

Tripp 10mm mags, the Corey Tripp mags are what I use

load your ammo to 1.18-1.20

I was shooting 165gr, then switched to 180's and now a 200gr

all fed with the Corey/Tripp 10mm competition mags

The STI mags do not work, even the Tripp 40s&w mags do not work well loaded long

I am about to order that magazines: Tripp 10mm Corey Magazines with Hybrid Follower. I am just waiting for another results of my 2 trips in the shooting range in regards to my issues and waiting for the replacement mags. From there, if there is no improvement, I have no choice but to burn $$$ again for the said magazines. I am hoping this tripp mags will work or I will send back my pistol to STI for good.

I'm using the Tripp 10mm Corey System mags for my 1911 for USPSA Single Stack. They work great, but they required some break-in of the springs to really get into the groove with them. So if they don't work flawlessly out of the box, don't be too concerned. It might just take some break-in just like any new pistol.

I started out with a brand new 1911 with brand new Tripp mags and had some early failure to feed issues that went away pretty quickly.

I was also very happy with Tripp customer service when it came to helping me select the mags and teaching me what to expect during the break-in period. If you do have issues with the mags, Tripp will work with you to figure it out.

I have had two late model STI Sentry's in 40 with similar issues. After speaking with Virgil at Tripp Research, he did his "reliability package" on both. I think the cost was about $150 each. Both run perfectly now with factory ammo length up to 1.20. I had tried all variations of ammo length and Tripp magazines with less than perfect results. I should have sent them to Virgil as soon as I got them, it would have been much cheaper and saved a lot of headaches. Good luck in your quest, it can be a little frustrating.

According to Virgil, he lengthens the feed ramp and recuts the angle to make it shallower since the 40 has a smaller diameter. I have several thousand thru them since his work and have never had a failure to feed issue using 1.15 ammo (mostly because the Tripp 40 mags will not hold anything longer than 1.16).

According to Virgil, he lengthens the feed ramp and recuts the angle to make it shallower since the 40 has a smaller diameter. I have several thousand thru them since his work and have never had a failure to feed issue using 1.15 ammo (mostly because the Tripp 40 mags will not hold anything longer than 1.16).

Thanks, emailed him already

Orbit,

If you have the time, call Roger Kotanko of Dark International- Port Dover. Your experience with your 40sw and 9mm in single stock is very common. 100% he can fix your problem, btw, Roger only works in evenings and or you can see him every Tuesday night at Burlington Gun Club

Francis

Friends,

Updates for my STI Trojan 5 40 S&W pistol after a bit of tuning and range time:

1. Clean all regular matalform 40 S&W magazines and make sure all lips and opening conformed with standard dimensions

2. Polished the ramp, ramp sides or edges, 360 deg sides and throat/chamber

3. Fire a couple of hundred rounds (1.128" OAL - factory dimension for both reloads and factory), total = 750 rounds

4. Properly re-install the SVI trigger bow

Results:

After shooting and tuning up, the pistol ran flawlessly in terms of accuracy, trigger pull, cycle and for the entire range time, I only had 1 FTF (magazine #5). I keep on repeating to use the #5 magazine, and it ran good.

After a deep analysis, the nose-up is like this:

Screen Shot 2015-06-01 at 11.51.03 AM.pdf

The back part of the ammo wasn't yet out of the magazine and didn't even touch the breach face and extractor. It seems that the nose of the ammo was released immaturely after the slide went back from the action and prevent the slide from moving forward to cycle.

I think this is really a magazine related issue or ammo. But when I use it again for several times, zero jam or no nose up.

Edited by Orbit

Orbit,

If you have the time, call Roger Kotanko of Dark International- Port Dover. Your experience with your 40sw and 9mm in single stock is very common. 100% he can fix your problem, btw, Roger only works in evenings and or you can see him every Tuesday night at Burlington Gun Club

Francis

Do you have a contact number or email of Roger? Please PM it to me at orbit1785@yahoo.com

Updates:

The replacement Metalform magazines from STI Texas arrived today (3 pcs). One thing is noticeable, the metal of the replacement ones are thick and well polish. THE ONE THAT I BOUGHT ARE THIN METAL & SEMI POLISH. Same brand & maker but different quality.