Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good videos of 1911 based slide lock reloads?

ArrDave

Good morning shooters,

I'm trying to get down my reload time on my 1911 and the game I play is IDPA so more often than not it's a slide lock reload. On the par timer about the absolute best I can manage is like 1.5S (using snap caps to actually chamber a dummy round).

I "diagnosed" a couple things costing me time/consistency already:

Mag pouches too far toward the point of the hip. With USPSA pouches it would be fine, but these IDPA ones kind of angle the mag back into my body when they're that far forward.

Releasing the tension totally in my grip, shoulders once the firing grip is broken up until I rebuild the grip

I've played around with where i hold the gun, what angle and how much I can see but I've not quite gotten the formula right so far.

I feel like I'm giving up a bunch of time, especially on 18 round stages requiring a minimum of 2 mag changes. Most stage designs are not great for a good reload with retention

Anybody have some good videos they can point me to? Most everything I've looked at is with a striker gun that releases with your firing hand, or is a loaded chamber reload

I do use my support hand thumb, but I still would love a chance to watch some good footage of some of the pros doing a slide lock reload on the platform. Kind of problematic since the better documented shooters are generally USPSA guys so the reloads are usually slide closed reloads.

Id love to see the same thing too. We have a yearly single stack challenge and its next month. My buddy bought a 1911 and we are going to share it and shoot the match. I have big hands but they are so thick that I have never held a gun I could drop the mag without changing grip (minus my HK, use the trigger finger) and this 1911 is sooooo far away. I have to turn the gun sideways basically to hit the release.

Id love to see the same thing too. We have a yearly single stack challenge and its next month. My buddy bought a 1911 and we are going to share it and shoot the match. I have big hands but they are so thick that I have never held a gun I could drop the mag without changing grip (minus my HK, use the trigger finger) and this 1911 is sooooo far away. I have to turn the gun sideways basically to hit the release.

You will break your grip to drop the mag, for sure. you definitely release with the support hand thumb.

Practicing it again today I think my issue is where to hold the gun to reliably seat it. With the single stack mags, it's a lot less forgiving of angle. And if you guys don't have a mag guide on your buddy's 1911, I would recommend one.

Faster.....yes.From what my Combat Focused Instructor has taught me is....after your heart reaches 145 bps during a stressfull situation, you loose fine motor skills.The " overhand rack " is not a fine motor skill.You must make you own decision whether you want to train to be fast in the competitive world or fail safe in the real world , should something arise.Just my opinion.

More than familiar with the power stroke or whatever, but my goal is to win the game! Plus Frank Proctor teaches slide release in combat shooting as well, just FYI

Sent from an iDevice. Please forgive any grammatical or spelling errors. If the post doesn't make sense or is not amusing then it is technology's fault and most certainly not operator error.

The fastest way is to drop mag with strong hand thumb after breaking grip slightly. Weak hand should have next mag ready as depleted mag falls free. Weak hand inserts to lock, and strong thumb closes to rebuild grip while raking slide release on the way. Slide should be traveling back into battery as pistol is brought back into sight alignment/on target and grip should be rebuilt and ready to break next shot as soon as sights find next target.

Making this process happen is simple. Making it smooth is fast.

The fastest way is to drop mag with strong hand thumb after breaking grip slightly. Weak hand should have next mag ready as depleted mag falls free. Weak hand inserts to lock, and strong thumb closes to rebuild grip while raking slide release on the way. Slide should be traveling back into battery as pistol is brought back into sight alignment/on target and grip should be rebuilt and ready to break next shot as soon as sights find next target.

Making this process happen is simple. Making it smooth is fast.

Looked at releasing slide with strong hand vs weak hand. It was slower for me, but I'm not running extended slide release.

• 2 weeks later...

Faster.....yes.From what my Combat Focused Instructor has taught me is....after your heart reaches 145 bps during a stressfull situation, you loose fine motor skills.The " overhand rack " is not a fine motor skill.You must make you own decision whether you want to train to be fast in the competitive world or fail safe in the real world , should something arise.Just my opinion.

So what you're saying is someone can work the safety, the mag release and the trigger, insert a fresh mag. But it all goes to pot when they want to drop the slide.

Yeah. Ok then.