Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911's used in SS Nationals...in order of finish?

Bruce

So if you are building the ultimate Single Stack gun what is it? What frame and caliber do you build?

Build it in .40 S&W. Use a heavy or recon frame but a light slide. Either tri top it or use Browning High Power cuts, maybe both.

So if you are building the ultimate Single Stack gun what is it? What frame and caliber do you build?

40sw, have it be close to the 43oz mark, spring it so it shoots well for you, make sure it runs, the rest is fluff.

There really isn't any magical pill when it comes to Limited or SS guns.

Faster cycling is a big deal with 9mm. My single stack 9mm shot so soft it was like slow motion waiting for the sights to return and I'm a B/C class shooter. I had to go to a slightly heavier recoil spring and hotter load to get the thing to cycle faster.

Edited by ltdmstr

So there's no benefit to .40 aside from brass/loading commonality?

IMO the .40 advantage in single stack is mostly logistical if you also shoot Limited div (brass/loading commonality, don't need a barney mag, etc). One could say that reloads are slightly easier since since the .40 mags have more room for spring compression, but the Wilson ETM mags and those like it have kind of narrowed the gap there.

I had to switch from .40 to .45 early on at SS Nats due to a broken barrel link in my .40. I was shooting 180 gr bullets in my .40 and my backup gun was a .45 with 200 gr bullets. Not much discernable difference in recoil to matter.

40sw, have it be close to the 43oz mark, spring it so it shoots well for you, make sure it runs, the rest is fluff.There really isn't any magical pill when it comes to Limited or SS guns.

I agree. The gun just has to run.

165s with a 10lb spring in a 5" gun are the greatest thing I've ever done in terms of ammo/gear.

Unfortunately I listened to the mountains of threads here with people saying '165s are snappy' and shot like 50k 180s before trying 165s.

165s aren't snappy, they are flat shooting, just have to spring your gun down 2lbs lower than what your run with your 180s and have a solid grip.

Edited by mikeg1005

165s with a 10lb spring in a 5" gun are the greatest thing I've ever done in terms of ammo/gear.

Unfortunately I listened to the mountains of threads here with people saying '165s are snappy' and shot like 50k 180s before trying 165s.

165s aren't snappy, they are flat shooting, just have to spring your gun down 2lbs lower than what your run with your 180s and have a solid grip.

It's somewhat counterintuitive but I'd say you feel the 165s a bit more in the hand but it is easier to keep the muzzle down. I've been going back and forth and my current bullet supplier only casts 180s so I'm rolling with that for now.

I hate the sensation of the gun cycling.

Something like this in .40.

Rich

More pictures please. Those grips and front/backstraps are attractive to me.

Go to the Canyon Creek dealer forum, look at the SSC prize gun thread.

Rich

• 3 months later...