Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Dillon 650XL Order Went in Yesterday

Once you financially recover from all this (if that ever happens) get you a great big case/media separator. I used two cheap colandars for a long time then finally broke down and got a separator. Not only did it save a lot of time, but it dramatically reduced the number of jams I had with cases getting stuck in the feed tube. The whole process seems to run a lot smoother now. I reload 500 9mm a week. If everything goes well it takes a little more than an hour and a half. It took a while before I got all my adjustments settled, but now I put on the headphones, grab a beer, and knockem out. I'm definitely not saving money, but I'm shooting a lot more. Life is good...

Well, I got it all set up for .45acp. I loaded about 80 rounds. Had powder everywhere with about three rounds with no primer, three round with the primer not fully seated, and about four rounds that don't fit in the case gage.

Got the OAL at 1.200 and didn't have much problem getting the bullet seat and crimp dies set. Using 230gr RN

Any suggestions in the primers...can I just reinsert in the shell plate and reseat (after removing all new primers of course)? What about the ones that don't fit the gage?

Personally, I wouldn't re-seat a primer on a live round.

Pull the bullet and start over.

Any time I have missing primers it's either a small primer case sneaked in, or a crimped primer case.

Edited by TDA

This is the day I've been planning for over a year. I've been absorbing everything reloading during this time. About 20 years ago, I helped a friend with his MEC and that planted the seed. He was a big skeet and trap shooter, but now reloads three pistol calibers too. I have a close friend that I shoot with a lot who owns an older Dillon, so now I'm all in. I know I have tons to learn, and will be asking a lot of questions of the very knowledgable board members.

My order for a 650XL went into Brian yesterday for .45ACP, with alternate setup for 9mm and .40S&W. I will graduate to 5.56mm later. The bench is built, and the last coat of poly went on the bench cabinet today. So now, it's sit here and "watch the paint dry" while Brian and Dillon do their thing.

Your bench looks great !!!!!

Looking forward to seeing your progress develop.

I'm wanting to eventually follow the same path with a 650XL and get the setup for .45acp, 9mm and 5.56.

One suggestion, I found raw wood to be a bit to porous so I covered it with labels torn off powder bottles.

What I like to do on a bench like this is cut a piece of press board, and use contact cement to put it on the surface. Now you have a smooth surface to work on and can easily replace it in the future if it gets too dirty and/or dinged up.

I have a butcher block top workbench top I will use for my bench. I currently have it on some cheap metal legs, but will build some wood legs to make it real sturdy. I use the bench for metalworking and gun work so won't use a press board on it. I have a bench in my garage that has a plywood top and I use press board on it, held on with contact cement. I have a small South Bend lathe on it and it works well for that.

• 3 years later...

This is an old thread, but I wanted to update on my progress. In retrospect, I had a lot of issues in the beginning since I had only the help of these forums and Utube.

i have climbed the learning curve and now consider myself a competent reloader, having completed over 11,000 rounds to date.  I’ve reloaded both .45ACP and 9mm. After getting some of the bugs worked out, I’ve chugged right along. I feel confidant in fixing issues with the 650XL as they occur. Dillon has sent me several replacements for broken parts. Their  service is stellar.

i want to thank everyone that has helped and given encouragement...you can start out on a 650XL as your first press. If I can do it, so can you. 

26 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I started on the 650 as well.

Two upgrades to save up for:

https://reloadinginnovations.com/collections/led-reloading-press-lights/products/dillon-650-press-lighting-kit

...and a MrBulletFeeder.

If you don’t use a Shockbottle hundo to case gauge your ammo? Get one.

I second the lights and MrBulletFeeder.  The feeder was an expensive Christmas present, but’s man it really makes a huge difference.  Now I prop up my IPad behind the reloader and watch/listen to shooting shows on YouTube.  I can pump out a thousand rounds in a couple of hours.  The lights are a big help too.  

On 5/27/2015 at 6:39 PM, TDA said:

Personally, I wouldn't re-seat a primer on a live round.

Pull the bullet and start over.

I do it all the time. Any marginal or slightly high primers get a careful bump in the press.

Done it probably a thousand times, never set one off, not even a Federal.

Squeeze. Don’t slam.

• 2 weeks later...

Old thread.... but new to the forum.

This thread caught my attention and is one of many reasons I have joined it.

I have been reloading shotgun and we (son and I) started shooting the various pistol matches.   Buying the ammo is getting pricey, so we have started throwing money into a jar every time we make an order for ammo.   Once we have enough, the 650 will be going on order.   I have actually been to the Dillon site and built it out a couple times.

Good thing is, once I get one, get it dialed in, i can sit back, have a beer, and watch the boy do the work!

Looking forward to contributing to the forum!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

There is a guy in Alaska that goes by the username snowshooze on EBay that makes a few upgrades to the 650 that makes like really easy. He sells all the mods for about $105 and calls it the “grand slam”. I would definitely look into it. 

Edited by rojo1911

I opted for the case feeder only, the bullet feeder seems like too much work to set up.

I do now have the Mr Bullet Feeder Powder Funnel.  It opens the mouth of the brass a little bit bigger for a short distance.  Makes inserting bullets by hand much simpler.

I also will not do without the through-die-head lighting system from Inline Fabrication.  The best $40 I have ever spent.

Edited by wmccurdy

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 4:37 PM, wmccurdy said:

I opted for the case feeder only, the bullet feeder seems like too much work to set up.

I do now have the Mr Bullet Feeder Powder Funnel.  It opens the mouth of the brass a little bit bigger for a short distance.  Makes inserting bullets by hand much simpler.

I also will not do without the through-die-head lighting system from Inline Fabrication.  The best $40 I have ever spent.

Those Mr Bullet Feeder Powder Funnels seem to be the ticket with coated lead bullets.   I may order one for 9mm & 45acp.

Agreed on the Inline Fabrication lights (and Dan's Ultramounts are sweet, too).

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 6:36 AM, Bronk5150 said:

I’ve got a 550 but find myself looking for things Ivan sell off in order to get the 650 as well.....some day I tell ya.

What's funny is I ordered the 650 w/ casefeeder......then turned around and also ordered a 550.

I want to leave the 650 setup for my target stuff that'll be shot in greater quantities.....and then have a press to use for hunting loads and such.

Gonna be set, I hope.

I bought mine this time last year after getting a new job.

I was loading on a Lee Single Stage and, after some teething issues, I'm thrilled with mine. 

What add-ons did you get? I don't think I could go back to living without the case feeder & roller handle.

(Also, holy necro thread!)

Edited by admcd