Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Dillon 650XL Order Went in Yesterday

This is the day I've been planning for over a year. I've been absorbing everything reloading during this time. About 20 years ago, I helped a friend with his MEC and that planted the seed. He was a big skeet and trap shooter, but now reloads three pistol calibers too. I have a close friend that I shoot with a lot who owns an older Dillon, so now I'm all in. I know I have tons to learn, and will be asking a lot of questions of the very knowledgable board members.

My order for a 650XL went into Brian yesterday for .45ACP, with alternate setup for 9mm and .40S&W. I will graduate to 5.56mm later. The bench is built, and the last coat of poly went on the bench cabinet today. So now, it's sit here and "watch the paint dry" while Brian and Dillon do their thing.

Edited by Santini

You've made a wise choice and an even better investment. Many reloading adventures, stacks of quality ammo and frequent tracking number checks are in your future.

The wait begins...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats! Love my 650, and work it through ~1000 rounds a week. Stay tuned to this forum. The guys here had answers for all my early ills. As for your bench, make sure it is absolutely rock solid, then double it up from there. I had minor issues and some less than perfect loads for mine on a bench I was super happy with. It didn't move at all. Bolted it to the wall, and bingo. 99.99% consistent loads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The bench is complete. I built it from plans provided by the National Reloading Manufactuer's Assn (NRMA). I've just about completed the cabinet that goes on top. This thing is rock-solid, and I don't think I will have to attach to the wall. I can determine that after I get the press. Maybe I'll post a picture if I can figure that out.

Congrats Santini, I think you're going to be a happy man. I started reloading a year ago with a cheap lee turret press. It has served admirably but I'm getting the itch to step it up to a Dillon 650.

I used to chug along on a lee turret press but I started to get tendinitis in my elbow. Now I have a 650 and get surprised every time I reload at how much ammo I make when spending an hour out in the shop. I don't have a case feeder and only one primer pickup tube but I still produce more than enough ammo in a short period of time.

I used to chug along on a lee turret press but I started to get tendinitis in my elbow. Now I have a 650 and get surprised every time I reload at how much ammo I make when spending an hour out in the shop. I don't have a case feeder and only one primer pickup tube but I still produce more than enough ammo in a short period of time.

I do feel like I'm starting to develop some tendinitis as well. It's a big

Difference when you have to make essentially 8 pulls to produce one complete round.

Before getting the Dillon I wouldn't shoot a lot of rounds in practice because I didn't want to have to go stand in front of the turret press for 2 or 3 hours to replenish the ammo. Now that I have the Dillon I have to tell myself to limit how much I shoot in practice because I'm going through to many bullets to quickly.

A bit off topic. When I had tendinitis in my strong elbow I learned to reload weak hand in my 550 :) Lately its gotten better and almost no more pain so I do 150 rnds in my strong hand then another 150 in weak hand so I wont lose the skill in my weak hand just in case... :)

Congrats Santini, I think you're going to be a happy man. I started reloading a year ago with a cheap lee turret press. It has served admirably but I'm getting the itch to step it up to a Dillon 650.

You won't be sorry Santini

Ferg take the plunge. I started on a Lee single stage. I got my 650 three weeks ago. Got to busy to put it together.I finally put it together yesterday and pumped out 185 rounds of 223 going very slow and methodical in 30 minutes.What a difference. I'm sure the rate will increase over time.Happy Shooting HotRod

Good luck setting up the press! I have had my 650 sitting in the box taunting me for the last two months. I didn't want to set it up right before a move, and we closed on our house last week. Now I get to finally set it up and start making some ammo! I swear every time I walked past the box it called out my name.

That's funny. Unfortunately I know exactly how you feel. I only had to deal with three weeks. Seemed like in.enternity. good shooting HotRod

Edited by HotRod61

Nice looking bench, should work great. One suggestion, I found raw wood to be a bit to porous so I covered it with labels torn off powder bottles.My bench is a re-purposed cabinetmakers bench that i added a 1" plywood top and cleats that allow the bench vices to secure it to the bench. Don't do much cabinetmaking, shooting takes too much of my interest.

post-56380-0-51642200-1432618524_thumb.j

post-56380-0-86369700-1432618746_thumb.j

Edited by Bkreutz