Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lone Wolf Locking Block

bigtimelarry

I thought about trying one and ordered one since mine is fairly high mileage. Quality made part, can't say anything about the fit results though. Mine apparently was a pre mid 2002 model 22 and did not have the same locking block.

From their page:

Glock OEM parts are MIM, some problems with MIM include:

- Is oversized by 20.6%, then sintered down in a mold to final size, this creates many deviations while molding

- MIM is bound by a glue. It is heated, the glue melts and then sticks together with the metal particles

I get the MIM hate, but I'm not sure I would want to buy from someone who either lacked understanding of or misrepresented the MIM process this much.

I get the MIM hate

As a mechanical engineer, I don't. As long as it's used in the right applications it's fine. People just need something to complain about.

I thought the hate came from poor QC when the process was initially implemented by some firearm manufactures - which makes sense to me. Any process good enough for high consequence aircraft parts is good enough for guns.

From their page:

- Is oversized by 20.6%, then sintered down in a mold to final size, this creates many deviations while molding

- MIM is bound by a glue. It is heated, the glue melts and then sticks together with the metal particles

I get the MIM hate, but I'm not sure I would want to buy from someone who either lacked understanding of or misrepresented the MIM process this much.

It seems they may have missed some key parts of their explanation in their description of how MIM parts are actually made. Looks like someone read about the process and either didn't understand what they were reading or wanted to cast MIM in a bad light to sell their superior part. I purchased one of the LWD locking blocks for one of my guns that had a high round count on it and was needing a replacement. I took some measurements on it before placing it in the gun. They are making a high quality part that fits the frame well and meets minimum tolerances of a new OEM part. I tested mine for function and accuracy this past weekend and it passed with flying colors. Other than not telling the whole story about the MIM process or not understanding it fully, it seems to be a good part but time will tell the story on longevity. It was well worth the introductory price. If there are any problems with it I am sure I will find it in this gun, it catches about 1k a week so it won't take long for any flaws in the metallurgy to show up.

Edited by bowenbuilt

From their page:

It seems they may have missed some key parts of their explanation in their description of how MIM parts are actually made.

You say missed key parts, I say intentionally misrepresented. Tomato, Tomato I suppose.

And you are probably correct. Some people feel they must step on someone else's head in order to climb the ladder or show something in it's worst light to make their product look superior. I can't say for sure so I gave them the benefit of the doubt. Remember, this is the same group of people who believe that chambers should be so tight that only factory ammunition should work but make barrels with conventional rifling for lead. I used to wonder....now I just don't know. :)

Edited by bowenbuilt

I bought one on a whim with their introductory discount. My intention was to try it with a Bar-sto barrel that has been disappointing. One of these days I guess I will get around to testing it all out.

The pin holes were worn in mine along with the pins. The old locking block would fall out of the gun, the new one took some pressure to reseat. Yes they will wear with enough rounds through them. The amazing part is that the polymer frame and pin holes remain tight. You would think that the frame would wear first but not the case here.

• 5 years later...
On 8/22/2020 at 1:30 AM, BamaBoy63 said:

I bought a lwd locking block for my gen3 glock 19. It was a hair too wide and would not fit down in the slot. I wonder why? It said it fit gen3 g19. The frame is glockstore new gsx100. Later I found out they sent me the lwd part #4361 for earlier models. I need the #7894 part.

Screenshot_2020-08-24-13-31-10.png

They have it labeled to fit gen3 g19, but it doesn't fit mines. I have the glockstore gsx100 gen3 g19 frame. The locking block they sent is flat on the sides. The current models flare out on the sides. I tried to tell them they have that part labeled wrong. #4361 is for earlier models. I need the #7894 part.