Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VihtaVuori and Dillon Powder Measure

Cosby

Just started shooting a new 40 in Limited. Shooting Montana Gold 180's and a friend recommended VV N320. This powder is clean and recoil minimal but I get very inconsistent charges through my Dillon powder measure.

Is anyone using this powder with a Dillon measure? What are your results?

I am using VV N320 in my 650, and itis very consistent. Have you cleaned everything with an antistatic device(dryer sheets)? I only did this once, about 15000 rounds ago. There is a thread here somewhere about that, and I have really consistent results at the chrono with my 320 loads from the 650.

I use N340 and N350. Both with my Dillon powder measure. I have recently bought a Dillon electronic scale so I am always weighing my charges. I don't know why I waited so long to get rid of that beam scale. I find both powders meter very well. I have noticed that when I chrono my rounds my light charges are not consistent. Once I get to major loads they tighten right up.

Is your problem with the powder metering or the velocity of your bullets?

Dave

The problem is with metering. I also use an electronic scale and recently had two instances where the charge was more than 2 full grains different. That is why I liked the anti-static idea. I have already cleaned out the powder tube with a long Q-tip.

I've seen dramatic differences in the powder delivered with my Dillon and VVN320 as well with low charges, for example 4.2gr. When 5.0gr are delivered, the inconsistent probelme go away. Have cleaned it many times, still the same problem.

• 1 year later...

I just bought a # of the N320 to try and I'm having the same problem. I cleaned the powder measure, adjusted the measure and rechecked the scales so many times it was pitiful last night and just could not get a consistent reading. I was trying to get 4.6gn and probably made over 50 pulls and each would vary from 4.5 to 5.0.

The TG on the otherhand is dead-on each and every time. I'm sure it's something to do with my powder measure seeing as most everyone else has good luck with it. I may try the anti-static sheets as described and see what happens. Do you tape them to the hopper or put them inside the hopper?

Zack

Regarding the dryer sheets, a better and longer lasting solution is to electrically ground your press. The easiest way is the get some 18 gauge wire and attach it to the screw of an electrical outlet or a metal pipe in your house. I have my grounding wire attached to the wall plug that the casefeeder plugs into.

Also, polishing the powder funnel inside the measure helps a great deal. Search this site for info regarding stick powders and the powder funnel, that should yield descriptions and pictures of the parts and process.

I only recently set up an XL650 to use N320 and have been totally amazed at how consistant the charges were. For the first couple of hundred rounds I checked every 4th or 5th round with an RCBS 1010 scale and they were spot on every time. The press is not that old and I have only loaded about eight hundred rounds on it, and have not polished the inside of the powder measure. You must be having some sort of problem with static.

Ive have been having the same issue with 550B? Its odd when it was brand new last X-mas it was spot on wwith TG or N-320 but lately the drops have been 3 to 4 tenths off? Never off when brand new? I called dillon he told me to try the static sheet didnt help? He also said to only weigh my loads after each case was sized and primed? I tried this and got the load spot on, but once I tried the weights after brass was in each station the load increased afew tenths? So I solved this by turning measure down afew hairs which got me spot on or a tenth over from what I wanted. The tech at Dillon explained to me that being afew tenths from what you wanted was fine and that I wouldnt notice the diff? I cant tell any diff with my loads while shooting. My main ? is when loading for Major would afew tenths F my loads up? Maybe I just sound nuts being worried about a couple of tenths but Im that anal about my stuff! :wacko:

I may try the anti-static sheets as described and see what happens. Do you tape them to the hopper or put them inside the hopper?

I just hang one inside the powder hopper with a little hanging out. Pour in powder and replace the lid with that little bit trapped by the cover.

Even so, I don't think that static would cause that large a variation (5 - 1/10ths). The dryer sheets help a little with cutting down on static holding powder on the sides up near the top, but the weight of the powder down at the bottom of the powder measure, where it's dumping into the charge bar should be enough to ensure consistent charges (or at least much, much smaller variations than this).

Try this: (800) 223-4570

Thanks Mark.

Thats pretty much what I was thinking on the static sheets. I think they will help more with the TG sticking to the sides because the N320 doesn't give me that problem although the TG meters great and the N320 is what doesn't meter well for me.

I spoke with Dillon and he admitted the pencil lead shaped powders would not meter as well as other powders and suggested trying a new powder bar which I had already tried. It's not that big of a deal really. I was gonna try the N320 to see how I liked it and personally I didn't really like the feel of it. Not enough so to justify the added cost anyway.

Edited by unclez

Check the powder safety return wing-nut. If the system is not set right or is comming unscrewed...you will get wild fluctuations. I saved a buddy of mine alot of trouble with this overlooked part.

And the correct setting is....?

I don't have the book in front of me, but I think I remember that it should be about 1/2 turn into the spring for correct tension with the handle fully up. Is that right?