Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 upgrade to 1050

My basic opinion, having used both for a long time, is the 1050 has fewer stoppages but can be more difficult to clear. The 650 has more (although still not very many) stoppages, but they generally can be cleared quickly. Unless I'm needing the primer pocket swaging function of the 1050, I always use the 650.

For swaging brass, the 1050 is awesome. I feel that part of the 1050 makes it worth it in my book. I hate swaging. That said, I still have my 650 and use it to process (size and trim) my 223 and also use the 650 for loading 9mm. My 1050 is dedicated to 223 for swaging and loading.

I added a 1050/Mr. Bullet Feeder, still have my 550. It's taken a while to get the 1050 properly configured and tuned, and to get my processes for brass prep and whatnot worked out.

While the process was a bit frustrating I am now extremely happy with the 1050/9mm and somewhat dread loading other calibers on the 550. Next up I plan to get 223 running just as smoothly on the 1050 with a second toolhead that is set up but not tuned.

Hello: If you can find an old RL1050 and add a Mr Bullet feeder it is a great combo. I load on two RL1050's and have owned 4 and also 1 Super 1050. I like the RL's more for pistol and 223 loading than the Super 1050. Like any machine once you learn it will run perfectly after that. I have been loading on the 2 I have now for 6 or 7 years and have had no problems at all. Don't like the 650 but like the 550 and square deal B. I like my SL-900 as well. You will have to ask yourself how much time you have to reload and how much you want to spend? Thanks, Eric

The 1050 is tough on the shoulder rotator cuff

Hello: Any press if not setup at the correct height for you is going to be hard on your shoulders. I find the primer seating on the SL-900 more bothersome than the RL1050. Thanks, Eric
I know. I'm not the first person to make this observation. A Mr Bulletfeeder frees up the right shoulder for some left side action. I use an undersized EGW sizing die which doesn't help.

I have a SL900, a 650, and a 1050. I prefer to load on the 1050. I do pistol only on the 650, and lube every case. I use the 1050 for 223 and 308 rifle loading.

jj

Having reloaded 223 on my 550 I totally agree the 1050 is a force on those short necked rifle length cartridges. Also if you call Dillon almost every sale rep will say a 650 with case feeder is almost as fast as 1050. I do like the built in swager even on pistol caliber cartridges. The quality of primer seating is worth it for pistols set up with light triggers.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a SL900, a 650, and a 1050. I prefer to load on the 1050. I do pistol only on the 650, and lube every case. I use the 1050 for 223 and 308 rifle loading.

jj

I do like the built in swager even on pistol caliber cartridges. The quality of primer seating is worth it for pistols set up with light triggers.

You guys are making this decision even harder for me, as it seems its almost a split decision with the opinions in here!

I have at least one of all the Dillons on my bench at any time. I use them all and think there is no "best" for everything all the time.

I love loading on my 1050's but there are things the others can do they can't.

For example the SD's I have cost less than a 1050 tool head much less caliber conversion and it takes only three bolts to put a different machine on the bench and start loading.

A 550 can go from 7-08 to 458 socom in 5 seconds, not even sure you can set the 1050 up for 458 socom but it would take a lot longer to convert.

A set of 650's cost less than a single 1050 and at times could be a better choice than constantly converting a 1050.

That said for cranking out the ammo a properly setup 1050 is second to no other manual press.