Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tips for rainy matches?

ArrDave

I am shooting the Alabama State IDPA match this weekend, current forecast is thunderstorms all day... Any tips for inclement weather shooting? Going to have a poncho and an umbrella on hand, not sure about footwear... May go get some inexpensive cleats. Any other tips worth mentioning? I will be shooting a 1911 with Dan Wessons duty finish and VZ grips so I am pretty confident in my ability to grip the gun while wet and not overly worried about water hurting it. What am I missing?

Sent from an iDevice. Please forgive any grammatical or spelling errors. If the post doesn't make sense or is not amusing then it is technology's fault and most certainly not operator error.

I've shot a few matches in rainy and cold weather. I started to use a light Gortex outer shell pants and just any shirt I had that dried quick(I don't like to shot in a jacket). And like Sarge said, large trash bag and extra socks and shoes. I also brought one of them small absorbent towels for hands/phone/whatever.

To me the most important piece of equipment is Gore Tex shoes/boots, if my feet stay dry, I stay comfortable. I use a cover that fits my range cart, long oversized raincoat (kinda like a football sideline coat), gun cover (shower cap works just as well, but I got the cover off a prize table), microfiber towel. All this is for heavy rain days. I get lots of practice on the wet side of WA state. :roflol:

Since its IDPA I would just stay home.:)

OK,OK shower cap for gun, garbage bag for range bag, lots of socks and extra shoes

If USPSA had local week night matches nearby worth a darn I would shoot it, can't do much of the only on weekends matches with my current family situation, I might get 2 major matches a year and a weekly week night club shoot. As it is in my area IDPA is more accommodating.

Sent from an iDevice. Please forgive any grammatical or spelling errors. If the post doesn't make sense or is not amusing then it is technology's fault and most certainly not operator error.

I just shot a rainy match a few weeks ago. Waterproof foot wear, a change of socks, waterproof range bag or something to put your range bag in that is water proof. Spare jacket in case the first one gets soaked through. Umbrella for when you're not shooting and a good hat for when you are.

• 3 weeks later...

Make sure your gun oil and/or grease won't mix with the fouling and water and stop the gun. I helped one guy clean the fouling out of his gun at the WSSC a few years ago because it was a gooey mess and had stopped working. I gave him some Mil-Comm liquid I had in my bag and he was happy the rest of the match.

If it isn't too cold, I find it is better to just embrace the fact your going to get wet. I find it is more of a pain to try ( usually unsuccessful for a long period of time like a all day match)to stay dry. Bring extra clothes and towels if the forecast call for rain and change before you go home.

Once you've DECIDED to go, prepare the best you can and IGNORE the weather.

I like to go ahead and get as wet as possible to avoid wimpitis.

if you enjoy shooting in the rain and it's like you to be good at it, you'll be at a huge advantage.

Ask Flexmoney about checkering my magwell in the pouring rain right before LAMR after my grip tape slid off.

I love shooting in the rain, because XX% of my competitors have already given up to some degree.

If it isn't too cold, I find it is better to just embrace the fact your going to get wet. I find it is more of a pain to try ( usually unsuccessful for a long period of time like a all day match)to stay dry. Bring extra clothes and towels if the forecast call for rain and change before you go home.

As muggy as it is in South Carolina you'll be soaked from sweat under your rain gear just as fast as if you'd not worn any at all.

anything in the rules i missed about shooting with gloves. I shoot with gloves at work, and the P.I.G. gloves are amazing in the pouring rain

It's IDPA ... there has to be a rule covering it ... and you probably won't like it ... :)

As Steve said, learn to love to shoot in the rain ... many of your competitors will have already given up to some degree before they fire their first shot or are making excuses due to the rain ... which amounts to the same thing ...

Is a dump pouch or something like that allowed? I am preparing for my first big USPSA match and this match has a tendency to be wet and very muddy. Is it okay to have a pouch to drop a magazine into rather than into the mud. It seems that it could be a little faster to drop the magazine into a pouch than try to put it back into a magazine holder or pocket. Plus, it won't get mixed up with a full magazines.