Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weighing options, CZ TS v.s. STI EDGE

Hey there. I'm totally new to the forum and pretty new to competitive shooting, but I am really considering my next(limited) gun purchase. This is mostly for steel challenge, but I may move on to uspsa/idpa soon enough. one that I've fondled recently at a local shop was the CZ tac sport. I really liked it except for the black front sight(easy enough to change), and at $1150ish it seems like a good deal with 3-20rd mags. Next, I've been looking at STI edge 9mm. It seems really nice with a lot of high reviews, but I have been unable to handle one locally. Most of what I have read says they come with only one mag, and extras are $pricey$. Also, I won a caspian slide at a match a couple weeks ago, and while I know that it would be more expensive to build it, is it worth it??? Hopefully someone with more experience can weigh in on this decision.

For what it's worth, I've been shooting a TS in .40 S&W for around 6 months now. It has been one of the most reliable guns I've ever owned. I think it's really a great choice for USPSA Limited. The only real drawback for some is that the grip may be a bit on the large side. It's a hard gun to beat especially at its price point.

I've also seen lots of people struggle with reliability on their 2011 guns. I've been tempted to give one a try on several occassions when I have come across a deal, but it's a big investment and it's not going to make me more competitive.

Another reason for thinking on the CZ was reliability. I shoot with a guy that shoots a CZ 75(not sure on model) but he claims that he is near 5k rds with NO issues at all. But there are also several guys that claim their 9mm 1911/2011s have given them zero problems aswell. My buddy has an eagle in 40s&w and it fits my hand soo good, but I have big hands and the CZ feels right at home aswell

I'd get the CZ now, you can compete quite handily with it. It will not slow you down. Load your ammo to factory length and you will not have feed issues. These pistols are also very accurate from the factory. I loved mine. Then if you like limited and want to change, you can buy a 2011, and sell your CZ no problem, or you may not like limited. CZs do shoot really nice though.

Buy a 40 cal, a 9mm barrel and some 9mm mags too. That way you can shoot 9mm for steel and 40 for USPSA limited. The only semi auto game you are out of is IDPA. Shoot whatever you carry for IDPA.

Very cost effective and just plain effective combination.

It's not as pretty as a high end 2011. I can live with that.

I have shot some steel challenge with my tacsport, but it seems like a pretty heavy gun for discipline where transitions are key. I'll be shooting a 9mm 1911 in steel challenge this year (weekly weeknight match). In practice last week I shot some personal best times with the 1911.

The problem with a 9mm tacsport is for uspsa you can only use it in limited, and by shooting 9mm you will be at a significant scoring disadvantage. for the price of an Edge, you can buy a tac sport in 40 AND a springfield (or almost STI) 1911 in 9mm. Git 'er done, lol.

As motosapiens said, consider the .40 to avoid the scoring bias of minor. The TS is hard to beat for the money. With the money you save, you can get a good holster, extra mag, dinner and movie for the wife...

Never thought about getting the 40 tac sport, but that does make sense to go that route and add the 9mm barrel and extra mags.

Te only reason I am even considering limited in steel is because I carry and practice with iron sight guns, and feel like it may take a total retraining to master the optics of open, but since steel is a race I wanted the next best thing(limited)

Or, Since I shoot a production M&p I could move to a m&p pro w/apex flat fss trigger, and all the other goodies to make sure I like limited and stay with the same grip for both divisions.... Man this forum is making my head hurt already. And I thought I had my mind made up

I missed the monthly steel match this past Sunday or I was going to get to run some stages with a 9mm edge. I've handled and eagle 6.0, and the CZ ts 9mm. Haven't shot either but the trigger was better on the STI(not sure how fair it was because it had an awesome trigger job). I am definitely leaning towards a gun that can go more than 1 division/discipline

Buy a 40 cal, a 9mm barrel and some 9mm mags too. That way you can shoot 9mm for steel and 40 for USPSA limited. The only semi auto game you are out of is IDPA. Shoot whatever you carry for IDPA.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think the Tactical Sport is gorgeous.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think the Tactical Sport is gorgeous.

I'm planning to get my TS recoated to with a finish like my SP-01 Shadow. That would be baddass.

if you're looking for a cool looking 2011 steel challenge gun ....

you'll have to shoot in the open division but everyone eventually ends up in open anyway .... :)

post-32005-0-69662400-1429360798_thumb.j

Edited by Nimitz

WOW... That's a beautiful pistol Nimitz.

As far as choosing between a CZ TS or a 2011, I believe all the "cool kids" shoot 2011's. I would avoid the 9mm version of the Edge you're looking at unless you're planning on getting into 3gun. For USPSA Limited Division the clear choice is a 2011 in .40 S&W. I shoot CZ's in Production. They run like a top... 10's of thousands of trouble free rounds launched down range.

The Tac Sport would be an inexpensive way to jump into Limited Division with a competitive, reliable pistol as long as it fits your hand. With that said, I would probably choose a 2011 (in .40 S&W) if I moved to limited division. My rationale is based on aftermarket parts availability, customization options and the wide availability of gun smiths that can work on the pistol.

Or you could just go with this one :)

For Sale: ??????

2014 Infinity Firearms 5" Wide Body 9mm Sight Tracker AET Barrel

Comes with one 23rd magazine. Round count is just shy of 3k. Just back from a factory check up to make sure everything is like new. I have factory build sheet. PM me for more info.

$4300 OBO shipped. ????

252393AB-CA11-4067-BE2F-B50BC2C3F1C9_zps

0AB04D4E-80FB-4C5A-B391-CF6F1BBC53E4_zps

7D939270-1BF2-4ACE-946E-EE0C2DB5DF53_zps

379062D4-A500-4FDE-B861-DBD669AF7696_zps

6B56034D-4D1B-409C-A118-12FFFACE0A1A_zps

729042F3-C159-4CB0-974E-2E2770618AF7_zps

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt219/jtischauser/Infinity/098591F3-1B69-4B7C-9FD7-43C1808F54DB_zpse3i01f3w.jpg

Hubba hubba!

The Tac Sport would be an inexpensive way to jump into Limited Division with a competitive, reliable pistol as long as it fits your hand. With that said, I would probably choose a 2011 (in .40 S&W) if I moved to limited division. My rationale is based on aftermarket parts availability, customization options and the wide availability of gun smiths that can work on the pistol.

And that makes sense if you want to spend money on aftermarket parts and customization and if the gun needs a smith so it can run.

A tac sport runs well out of the box with no smithing or customization. Well, I guess I did technically try a narrower front sight (too narrow) and then filed down the front sight to a width I liked. Is that smithing?

Or you could just go with this one :)

For Sale: ??????

2014 Infinity Firearms 5" Wide Body 9mm Sight Tracker AET Barrel

Comes with one 23rd magazine. Round count is just shy of 3k. Just back from a factory check up to make sure everything is like new. I have factory build sheet. PM me for more info.

$4300 OBO shipped. ????

252393AB-CA11-4067-BE2F-B50BC2C3F1C9_zps

0AB04D4E-80FB-4C5A-B391-CF6F1BBC53E4_zps

7D939270-1BF2-4ACE-946E-EE0C2DB5DF53_zps

379062D4-A500-4FDE-B861-DBD669AF7696_zps

6B56034D-4D1B-409C-A118-12FFFACE0A1A_zps

729042F3-C159-4CB0-974E-2E2770618AF7_zps

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt219/jtischauser/Infinity/098591F3-1B69-4B7C-9FD7-43C1808F54DB_zpse3i01f3w.jpg

That infinity is AWESOME! However, from what I read, I will never feel the same shooting anything else after an INFINITY

I don't get all the "going to need a gunsmith" crap concerning the Edge.

Call Dawson, buy from them. Get your mags tuned. Develop a load that works. Don't fiddle with it.

Pretty simple.

I've found that most "gun problems with custom type guns" are owner related. Yeah, they want to blame the smith, but it's usually their fault. Some people just got to tinker and 10 "tinkers" later they have a boat anchor and whine about the gun and smith.

YMMV

I'd buy the EDGE from Dawson. I wonder how many total national championships have been won with an STI platform?

Fwiw, I was in the same situation as you last year but instead of a CZ, I went with a Tanfo Elimited Limited instead of an STI Edge. I got a good deal on a used Edge from a buddy and gave it a shot. Stock edge ran with no issues at all! Stock mags, no issues at 6K rounds. I sold the Tanfo!

Edited by Ryan626