Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single or two stage trigger

grouse

I have several rifles with several triggers in them. On my NRA service rifles I have a two stage Krieger and a rock river. Both are 4.5lb triggers. Both have long first stages and a noted stop before the second. I tried shooting with the RR in my first three gun rifle and I did not like the long travel. For the action shooting disciplines I prefer a single stage trigger that's not too light. My 3G rifle right now has a CMC and its been working well.

Get the one you like the most...try them.

I like single stage personally.

I have tried to "test" a bunch of different triggers from 2 to 4.5 pounds, from $90 to $300 and honestly, there is not a lot of difference in a 3Gun rifle. I could not come up with an accuracy or speed difference between okay triggers and what I think are the best triggers. Offhand from 100 to 150 yards is about the only place I think it really matters, and I could not derive a statistical difference benefiting one trigger over another.

When I test comps and BCGs, I can see the difference in groups and or the timer easily, not so with triggers.

There is a difference between creep and a stage on a trigger. My understanding is that an AR gold trigger is a single stage trigger. Can someone enlighten me.

Technically it would be considered a two stage. First stage on mine is short and about 3 ounces (think take-up rather than stage, with no movement of sear). Second stage is no creep glass break at 2.8 lbs. on my trigger pull gauge. Reset is very short. Some complain they can't "feel" the reset. Probably just a personal preference thing. I personally don't notice the lack of "feel" during rapid fire and I have never had a malfunction or "short-stroked" the trigger. In my experience a very fast, precise, and safe trigger.

"Creep" is when there is perceptible movement of the sear prior to hammer release :cheers:

Edited by reptoid

I like the 2 stage, but it is defiantly a personal thing. Try some and figure out what YOU like. I feel the trigger is probably the most important add on to a rifle, assuming it shoots decent and the sights/scope work.

RJH, have you honestly shoot on the clock with a variety of triggers? There really are not any of the "popular" triggers that are bad. The timer says the difference is minimal if not insignificant.

Mark, Only a few, I was talking about the feel, mainly. And I do think on the farther shots the trigger does matter a lot. If it didn't everyone would use mil-spec triggers, maybe you do:-) And I didn't say that there were any "bad" triggers, only that I prefer 2 stage and that the OP should try several and see what he preferred, instead of going with the "my trigger is the best trigger" crap you usually get on the internet.

Also Mark ,I reread your original post and I basically agreed with everything you said, so I really don't understand your question.

Edited by RJH

RJH, just asking if you have been able to see the difference, on the clock, everything else as a constant, between various triggers. Maybe I am mixing you up with someone else, but I thought you may have been the person who did some drills just swapping out triggers.

I have one Mil-spec trigger, just so I can remind myself.

At one point, I had all JP, then I started trying others and more and more. There are a few that I think come out of adjustment a little more than others, some that break a little more than others, but I think I have 6 different triggers now and while I have a few I prefer, I know that the choice of a "decent" trigger over another, has almost no impact on my scoresheet. Won't keep me from fiddling with the new Rise Armament trigger sitting on the bench or the other one that is coming in a few weeks.

It wasn't me, I have done a little testing, and agree that the on the clock the hoser type targets the trigger doesn't matter a huge amount. Where I do find the difference is on the longer shots and the mid range off hand, like you mentioned. Those seem to be the targets where the crappy trigger can defiantly add to the time on the clock;-) Also I do believe any trigger that a person prefers is the right one for them and there is no one best.

It wasn't me, I have done a little testing, and agree that the on the clock the hoser type targets the trigger doesn't matter a huge amount. Where I do find the difference is on the longer shots and the mid range off hand, like you mentioned. Those seem to be the targets where the crappy trigger can defiantly add to the time on the clock;-) Also I do believe any trigger that a person prefers is the right one for them and there is no one best.

+1 on this post. Long shots, tight placement shots, and offhand shots are what drove me to try different triggers and find the attributes I prefer for those. For hoser stages, pretty much any aftermarket trigger can be run fast.

I like the original style JP triggers a lot and I have a few. But I have found they take a bit more maintenance than the Jard. I change the springs and re-tune at about 10K. That is not bad at all, just something to be aware of. I am sure there are other triggers that need an overhaul at 10K or less as well.

Wow. Blondes, Brunettes or Redheads. My advice is try them all and then try them all again to be sure. If possible try them together and then side by side. I've run geiselle 2 stage triggers, JP triggers, RRA NM two stage, and I'm now running a hiperfire 24c. Under stress most trigger pulls are barely felt. The NYPD uses ridicuous triggers in their guns and they seem (albeit sometimes not that accurate) just fine. Two stage triggers are great for long range and they add a little padding during a tactical situation when you may be tightening the trigger before you want to shoot. Most people run single stage triggers because they can be set to the bleeding edge before they go bang. Anyway for my money try a hiperfire, I also just tried the new elf 3 gun trigger and the KE arms triggers and they are sick. Also blondes are fun to test drive but after 10 years you will be trading them in.

JF